Hughesnet Community

Working from Home and cannot video conference

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
debback56

Working from Home and cannot video conference

I have had Hughes net for quite awhile, but have been working from home since March.  I cannot video conference without issues.  My company uses Google Hangouts, but Zoom is worse.  I was laid off Monday and need to do a video conference interview and am going to have to drive to the city to my daughter's house to do the interview on their DSL network.  I checked my speed last night doing a video test and my speed was 640K.  That is horrible.  I checked again this morning and it was 1.2 MB.  This is satellite.  I should be able to get at least the advertised speeds.  We recently had a serviceman out because we couldn't get reliable service after a storm and he adjusted our dish.  It was only getting 45% connection and is now around 89%.  I am paying a lot of money for this and even had to buy a token this month.  I am about to change jobs and will be working from home 50% of the time.  I have to be able to video conference.  

4 REPLIES 4
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

To have speed issues addressed here in the community, please follow the procedure described here:  https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

Make sure you follow all the requirements, as the speed test record is needed for the HN engineers to figure out what may be going on with your site.  It's a good idea to have several tests done at different times of the day, say batches of 3 tests run 5 minutes apart in the morning, afternoon, and evening. 

Zoom is a data hog, especially when using video, even if your speed is high.  Here's an article that discusses how to reduce Zoom data usage: https://www.reviews.org/internet-service/how-to-reduce-zoom-data-use/

Zoom does work with HN, but it may not work all the time, for everyone, in all regions, and without glitches. This will be due to many things, such as the nature of a satellite connection, and other issues like congestion and Internet traffic in your area, network optimisation issues, and others. 

With HN, speeds are not guaranteed. This is spelled out both on the website, and more importantly, in the subscriber agreement you are bound to by virtue of your subscription.

Since you have a video interview, I'd say your best bet is to go where you can get terrestrial service, such as DSL, to make sure it runs smoothly for you. 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

MarkJFine
Professor

Network speed isn't an issue with teleconferencing, latency is. There's nothing you can really do about it because the round trip from you to the satellite, down to the groundstation, and back is around 90-95,000 miles. Given the speed of light that dictates the time it takes for a radio transmission to traverse that is about a half a second minimal for one ping for you, then again to whomever you're talking. So, not only are you basically streaming in both directions, your responses will always be lagged by a number of seconds, that is if the servers don't timeout.

Bottom line: That's really suboptimal for regular chatting, let alone a formal interview where you're trying to make an impression. You're better off finding another way.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I've been able to use Zoom, but it can be glitchy on and off (latency issues, I guess), and I wouldn't use it for anything really important, like a job interview. And it also eats So.Much.Data. 

Liz

Good morning debback56,

Welcome to the community, glad to see you here and your fellow members offering suggestions. I'd like to add this other resource for you for working from home: https://www.hninfo.us/worktips

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!