Hughesnet Community

Worst Internet Service EVER!!!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tee

Worst Internet Service EVER!!!

I am beyond unhappy with this service. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone...not even my enemy! The service is slow and I feel that I pay too much for that small amount of data. I was told that the service would be enough for a family the size of 4 to browse about 300+ pages per day. I asked more than 3 times if he was sure about that and each time, he replied "yes".  Had an issue with data depletion and of course, I was the blame. I was nowhere near home when the depletion was going on and neither were the other members of my family. The neighbors couldn't have done it bc no one knew the password. Really wish i could cancel this contract without having to pay $400.00!!!!!
13 REPLIES 13
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

If 4 people are using the internet at the same time it will be slower due to everyone is sharing the bandwidth. Also all browsers must have an ad blocker plug-in installed otherwise all the ads and pop-ups will eat a lot of data and slowdown browsing significantly.

What is your monthly data allowance?
donsjgm
Junior

Hi tee,
Welcome to the community.
Many new users are frustrated in getting used to what the HN system actually is and what it can do. Most people are also not aware of malware and adware using their data. Also programs that run in the background such as updates, as Bill mentioned, use data. 
Both Bill and sgoshe are excellent in helping users "sort out" their troubles and if you follow their advice your experience will be much better. There are quite few people who come here just to complain but if you will take the time to work with the people here to help you, you will be much happier with your service.

Don 🙂
Amanda

Hello tee,

Welcome to our community and thank you for your post. We're very sorry to hear you're having data troubles and felt that some things in your sales call were not correct, so I'd like to take the opportunity to have your sales call reviewed. If you have a recent case number or the serial number of your modem it will allow me to locate your account and find the sales center. Meanwhile, lets discuss the usage issue. As the others have mentioned, things you don't know about can use up your data even when you aren't at home and this will cause less data for you to actually be able to use throughout the month, making it seem like you just don't have enough. My recommendation is to take a look at everyone's browsing habits - is it video intensive like Netflix or simply scrolling through an hours worth of Vines? Are pictures viewed and/or uploaded a lot like on Facebook or Instagram?  What about leaving something like the WeatherChannel.com or CNN.com up with the automatic playing videos on? Little things like this can creep up and make bandwidth essentially disappear. I look forward to your response!

Thank you
Amanda
tee

I understand that I do not have to be home for data to deplete BUT I do know there should be no depletion when everything, modem included, is not even plugged up.
tee

10 gb is my data allowance. I feel like I was like to about how far 10gb would get me. I explained the sole purpose and my family size and asked if he was sure that would be the best plan for us. He assured me over and over that I would have more than enough data and that it would last the whole month! 
tee

I can assure you that NOTHING was left on at all! We use our cellphones mostly to access the internet and there has been times where NOTHING (no devices at all) was there and the data was still being used. 
smingus

Good Luck, Tee.   You will find in time that even going through the recommended paces, to appease the trouble shooters, will get you nowhere.  For 15 years we had no problems with our service; it was not what one would call "high speed", but at least it was never down.  The last 9 months have been horrendous with no hope of it getting better.  I don't know what happened, but it seemed to coincide with Hughes Net's system upgrade.   The CSR's try but don't have the support to correct problems.  I've dealt with Tier 3 and Tier 4 support to no good end.   If you have an alternative to Hughes Net, take it.   They are squandering what was once a great business model.    Love they way they are making it appear that you are being uncooperative.....wow....just terrible.    Bring back the old days when Hughes Net worked, please!

jenbeth5
Sophomore

ummm just do what they tell you ok? or maby  if you have wireless in your house someone is hacking into your modem
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Hummmm,

It IS possible for someone to hack into your WiFi signal.

It IS possible to have misconfigured your routers settings so as to run an "open network" or very weak wireless encryption levels.

It IS likely that a data drain is due to a legitimate device not acting as expected.

Computer networks are complex systems and when problems occur proper procedures and troubleshooting are called for.

princerockett

How do u still have a job mordacious? You are rude!
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

He does not work for Hughes.

This is a public forum so any registered user can post.

Hughes employees will have the title of "Official Rep" after their community names.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

prince, tee has been offered help numerous times, but would just rather complain than actually do something to try to rectify the problems.  Instructions were given on what to start doing, but nothing.  When someone would rather complain, after receiving offers of help, it can get on people's nerves. 

And like Gwalk900 said, Mordacious does not work for Hughesnet. 

donsjgm
Junior

You could always follow jenbeth5's advice and see what that gets you.
Hmmmmm, I'm beginning to sound like Bill. Lol