Hughesnet Community

Worst Internet on the market

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
melissanian

Worst Internet on the market

I have had Hughes net for about 2 months and it is the worst Internet I've ever used. It's like dial up its so slow will not let me watch netflixs . Netflixs keeps saying can not connect. It is definitely not what I was told it was very unhappy. I want Hughes net to come get there junk off my house
35 REPLIES 35
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Unfortunately, my wireless mouse isn't compatible with my TV, but that's my TV's fault, not the mouse.  I think using the laptop is a great idea and will make it much more user friendly, so to speak, than using the TV app and the remote. 
Chris11
Alum

Hi Melissa,

It's been a few days now since your initial post. We'd love to help you get the most out of your service, and I want to make sure we take care of you. Answering Amanda's inquiries is a good start. With more information I'm sure we can facilitate your satisfaction. Looking forward to your reply.

Thank you,
Chris 
Brittany Nichol

me too!!!! they were supposed to credit me then ended up charging me 50 more than what i am supposed to pay and what kind of home internet service charges you for data!?!??!??! like im so done with them but have no choice because no other providers are in my area I HATE HUGHES NET ( IMA CUSTOMER AND THEY ACT LIKE THEY HAVE THE ABSOLUTE BEST SERVICE BUT YET ITS ALWAYS GOING OUT IT WONT EVEN BE THUNDERING OR LIGHTENING JUST LIGHT RAIN AND MY SERVICE GOES OUT THE SALESMAN TOLD ME ID NEVER HAVE ANY ISSUES WITH MY SERVICE AND IVE HAD NOTHING BUT  ISSUES!!!!! SIGNED A PISSED OFF HUGHES NET CUSTOMER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
melissanian

My data is not used at all cause it won't let me use netflixs that's is the only thing I really have Internet for. I called Netflix and the problem is all Hughesnet I'm not happy with this service it crap
GabeU

Other things can use your data.  Is your data allowance showing that you have data available?
melissanian

Yes 88%
GabeU

Okay, the next step would be to run some speed tests.  Please head to http://testmy.net/, set up an account there, and run some tests while signed into that account.

Please make sure to run the tests with a single device connected directly to the modem, no router.

Please use the manual 12MB test size for download tests.

Please try to run a block of at least three tests, each test spaced at least five minutes from the last.  If you are able, please run a block of three tests at various times of the day.

When you have performed a few tests, please post the results URL.  This is done by clicking the "Results" tab on the upper right and pasting the URL from the results page into the post.  It will look like the following, but with your user name where it says your name.

http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

Creating the account and running the tests under that account are very important.  It allows the tests to be viewed from a single location and the results can show a pattern. 

GabeU

Also, it might be a good idea to run an upload speed test here and there.  For the upload speed tests make sure to use the 2MB manual size, not the 12MB manual size you use for download tests.  The download speed is the primary concern here, but an occasional upload speed test might help to give an idea of what's going on, as well.     
melissanian

/
melissanian

melissanian

GabeU

melissanian,

Please stop posting individual test results.  You need to CREATE AN ACCOUNT and run the tests under that account.  Please also use the test sizes requested

melissanian

I pay all this money a month for Internet and i'm doing all this crap to make it work.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

It is satellite wireless communication. Takes some troubleshooting on the user's end before a tech is sent out. There are way too many situations where the problem is something like the router, LAN cable, computer misconfigured, etc.

You are plugged directly into the modem, no router? Do you have another cable to try?
GabeU

It may be a simple fix, but they need the tests to see.  There's really no other way of staring the process of figuring out what is causing the problem. 

They can't send a tech out for all complaints/problems as the vast majority of the time the problem actually doesn't lie with Hughesnet at all.  I'm not saying that's what's happening in your case, but that's why they have the customer test their speeds as a first step.  They look at the results and go from there. 

I'm sure you would like whatever the problem is to be discovered and resolved so that you can watch Netflix, no matter what it is.