cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worst Internet on the market

melissanian

Worst Internet on the market

I have had Hughes net for about 2 months and it is the worst Internet I've ever used. It's like dial up its so slow will not let me watch netflixs . Netflixs keeps saying can not connect. It is definitely not what I was told it was very unhappy. I want Hughes net to come get there junk off my house
35 REPLIES 35
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Worst Internet on the market

Are both boxes at the top of the following page green?

http://192.168.0.1/

Also, when watching Netflix, you should adjust it to stream in SD or LD, as watching Netflix in HD will use up all of your data in a matter of hours. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
gmcduffa

I have had my service less than two months and it is the absolute worst service I have ever had and I have had Internet since dialup. All asked was that they cancel my plan without charge since it does not deliver as promised and they want me to go through all these check this and that so they can determine if it is my fault or theirs., are you kidding me I didn't set this system up. They said if I didn't have a computer that could plug in directly to their box and bypass the router then the problem is all mine. Well I live in Mississippi and Jim Hood goes after folks like them.
marieklein

so they told me my boys' Xbox One and PS4 would have no problems with their internet, that there are one or two games on each that might not play but they could connect direct to their box and it would be great. Only had this crap a month and neither game system will work
Amanda

Hello Melissa,

Welcome to our community and thank you for your post. We're very sorry for this experience and would like to help you out. Our services do work just fine with Netflix and other streaming services, even video calling. Sometimes there are just a few changes that have to be made to get things going smoothly. One of the main things is to ensure that Netflix is not running at Ultra HD or HD (1080), but if you prefer this, please know you'll be using a lot of data quickly.

With that said, it does sound like you may have exceeded your download allowance. When that happens, your speeds will slow down until you purchase or use a token, or your data refills for the month. Have you ever been able to watch Netflix? Is there any other data-intensive devices in the home such as an OnDemand box, video game console, etc? These can also attribute to data usage and could cause you exceed quickly. Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks,
Amanda
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

No problem with Netflix here in low definition even during peak times with 2 Mbps speed it the past. Don't experience speed that low very often anymore though. Does sound like you could be over your allowance or trying to stream in HD.

When you say "Netflixs keeps saying can not connect." do you mean you can't connect to the Netflix site at all or you get this error after clicking to play a movie?

Also, how are you connecting, with a computer browser or through an app on a smart TV or portable device?
bandj0414

I would just like to say with my experience hughes net is NOT for streaming.  It is good for web surfing and that is about it.  Go back to the old netflix dvds in the mail.  We live in a rural area and that is what we and our neighbors do.  Just a suggestion.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

As you discovered, a data capped service does not play well with "high demand" applications. While it can be done, it must be done carefully and sparingly with a watchful eye on the "fuel meter".
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Well, all I have is my experience. Even when we had the 15 GB plan we watched Netflix movies on the weekends and my wife would do some YouTube and Netflix during the week. All in SD or low definition of course.

We never have done hours a day, every day.