Worst Internet option of all time: Part II

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
curtis-m
Sophomore

Worst Internet option of all time: Part II

It's been 8 months since my install and over 3 months since I decided to complain about my snail-pace speeds. HughesNet has said that there's nothing wrong with my connection which is the same as saying, "it's the best you're going to get." My speeds are around 2Mbps download and my plan says I could "get up to 6Mbps," but make no guarantee.

My original thread was hijacked with a lot of useless information. Some said all I had to do was be nice and patient and the problem would be solved. That turned out to be total BS. Nothing has changed.

Then Hughes decided to send out a tech to check my install. But neither the company that sent the tech nor the tech himself could not follow simple instructions and so the tech never got to my house. Now with snow on the ground and the road into my place getting worse with each new snow fall, no tech will be able to get into my place until spring.

Due to intolerably slow speeds and my constant complaints on the original thread, I was given a reduced monthly fee. Unless that is extended until sometime in the spring, then I'll be back to paying full price for 1/2 the service.

I have no other option for internet so I guess I'll just have to learn to live with sub-par speeds.

Best, Curtis
34 REPLIES 34

Amanda,

I am leaving the modem on all day today, Monday, March 13th, so you can run your tests.

Thanks, Curtis

Curtis, Amanda won't be back in the office until Monday. You will have to give her a chance to see your post and leave it on for her to test.

I did a screen grab showing that it took a minute to reload the main Hughe's tech support page. Unfortunatley no way to upload it.

But it is now taking a full minute to load most web pages. When I first complained about these speed issues last fall, it was taking up to 30seconds to load a page.

My road is dry. My field is dry.

It's time to schedule the tech visit.

It's Tuesday, March 21st. I will leave the modem on all day so tests can be run.

Thanks.

Amanda,

Did you forget that you were going to run those diagnostic tests?

And now that my road and field is dry, I'd like to setup that tech visit. And don't forget that Chris said this tech visit would be on Hughe's dime.

Thanks, Curtis

Amanda or anyone?

Did you forget that you were going to run those diagnostic tests?

Amanda, anyone?

Those diagnostic tests? Remember? And then the tech visit?

Does Hughes need to hire some more people?

Chris said I was entiteled to a free onsite tech visit. Where's Chris?

Amanda, Liz, Chris, anyone?

try sending her a PM

dhorwath,

Good idea. Thanks.

I did get a site visit and I feel like the tech knew his stuff and did everything possible but in the end I still have the same slow speed. It seems to me that I should have more than one option for improving speeds but the truth is if I want faster speeds then my only option is to switch to Gen 5.

This is bait and switch.

I'm not going to upgrade because I am now exploring the use of a cell phone signal booster and a cell phone plan that would allow me to use a phone as a hotspot. Something happened over the winter, a cell tower upgrade perhaps, and I can now, sometimes, get LTE at my house. Hopefully a cell signal booster would bring the signal in at LTE all the time and if so then a $60 plan from MetroPCS for 32gb of data at 8Mbps is all I would need.

Still exploring this option and I really hope it bears fruit.

Best, Curtis

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

An outdoor high gain cell antenna might be even better.

Hello Curtis,

I think the title you chose says it all: "Worst Internet option of all time"

Facts:

You are on a system that is two generations old. (SP-3)

Your system performs poorly despite repeated truck rolls

You are off-grid and that brings up potential power issues that can happen with some equipment.

At some point SP-3 will either be defunct or used for other tasks

You are unwilling to upgrade to a Gen5 system.

Options:

Keep your present SP-3 platform knowing that its time is limited

Drop Hughes and take a chance on your newly found alternative

Keep Hughes for the moment and invest in and run the new system too.

Only you can determine the best course.

Around here, cellular is very spotty. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I'm joined at the waiste to Hughes until May of 2018.

I bought my equipment outright, and Hughes will not exchange for Gen5 modem, radio. To go with Gen5, I'd have to buy all the missing parts.

I will be gone most of the summer.

Very likely that I will be moving back into town in the fall.

The nice thing about having a cell signal booster is that I would have cell coverage when I'm here. This obviates a lot of the reasons why I needed Hughes in the first place.

The nice thing about MetroPCS is that I can pick it up and drop it as needed. No contract. 32gb at 8Mbps means I could stream Netflix,etc. I won't be switching my phone # over to Metro. I'd just be using them as a data source. Win/win for me.

HughesNet is an anachronism. They launched one satellite and everyone is all giddy. Space X will launch several thousand low orbit satellites in the next few years making low cost, high speed, low latency, internet access available to everyone on the planet.

Best, Curtis