Worst company I’ve delt with!!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mturner
Spectator

Worst company I’ve delt with!!

HughesNet has the absolute worst customer service I’ve ever came across. I’ve only had the service with them for 2 months and had nothing but trouble. The first month I was back and forth with technicians and only got to use the service for 10 days. I was still charged for it. After that I’ve noticed my data has been rapidly depleting with no devices on it. I called to get it resolved starting last night. I spoke with a gentleman that stated they would do a depletion test on my system. When I called back this morning, the first repsentive told me that everything seemed fine but there was a little 100mb depleting in 18hrs. (She said it was like it was nothing). Yes it may not seem like a lot but that’s 4gb a month that I’m paying for! So I told her that’s not right and I would like it fixed. We argued a little bit because she wouldn’t accept the fact that 100mb is a lot over time. She said she had to talk to a level 4 technician. Once she came back she all of a sudden the account was fine and it never depleted anything at all now. So I told her I’m tired of it all and I just want to cancel service. This is where i met the rudest and most ignorant person. First he was trying to up my limit and increase my bill. I said I didn’t want that. I just want to cancel. Well after this we start to argue because I told him the story and he is saying there isn’t anything wrong. I’m making this up. So He told me well sure we can cancel, but it’s going to cost you $400. So I asked to talk to his supervisor because he would not listen to me and work things out. The entire time I told him if hughesnet would just help me find the problem then I wouldn’t be in this situation, but instead you want to stick someone with a bill while in drains when nothing is connected. Then he said let’s try a live test. Connect a device to see if it’s using the network, so I told him okay. One second and let me type in the password on my phone becuase it hasn’t been on the WiFi. So after this he sees a device is connected and it is using it, he then states see thats your problem your device is connected so you have no issues. I stated that i had to type in the password so it wasn’t ever connected. He told me I was wrong again and it is using data. So I sat on hold for 30~ min for him to come back (not the supervisor) and tell me what the supervisor said to do. I told him can I just speak to the supervisor and let them tell me that. All he kept saying was the supervisor isn’t going to get you out of the $400, by sure. He told me the supervisor would call me back. Well I still haven’t heard anything in 4-5 hrs. *surprise surprise* now as I went to sleep for 4hrs or so I’ve lost 2% of my data allowance while still nothing connected, but it’s still my fault. I just want my service canceled. I’m tired of dealing with it all.
14 REPLIES 14
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Mturner

Devices using data without the person knowing is nothing new.  More and more devices stay connected, even when they are turned off, and they can use quite a bit of data.  If you'd like help in figuring out what is using your data, please create a new post in the Tech Support section, which you can do here...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/TechSupport

This is ONLY concerning your data loss issue, not the service issue in your first month.  

In the meantime, the following two threads may help...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Understanding-data-usage-data-loss-and-connection-pa...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/HughesNet-Data-Management-Tips-n-Tricks-How-To-Elimi...

I’ve totally disabled everything as I have to type in password for every device to even connect it to the internet. So there isn’t any devices depleting the internet. Also, they have told me time and time again that there isn’t any devices connected. I am 100% there isn’t any devices on the network. Not a phone, laptop or anything.
GabeU

@Mturner wrote:
I’ve totally disabled everything as I have to type in password for every device to even connect it to the internet. So there isn’t any devices depleting the internet. Also, they have told me time and time again that there isn’t any devices connected. I am 100% there isn’t any devices on the network. Not a phone, laptop or anything.

You should still start a new post in tech support if you would like help with this issue.  

I just want to cancel my service now. It’s been too much hassle and time wasted with it being the customers fault. I’ve been on the phone with them over 3hrs in the past 2 days.
GabeU

I'm sure a rep will respond.  They're on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST, though it can take them a day or two to reply.   

Good luck to you.  

Thank you! And I really do appreciate the help!

Hi Mturner, 

Welcome to the community. The only way to cancel is to call us at 866.347.3292. You must stay on the line until we confirm the cancellation with you.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

I’ve been trying. All I get told is it’s going to be $400 dollars which is outrageous for me to pay when you don’t even want to help me. So why should I be responsible to pay when you can’t provide me the service you promised ? And I get put on hold for hour and half. I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t slready try to call.
Liz

We can help you in the community, then. I'll go ahead and move this thread to our tech support board. I have no problem escalating your case to engineering if the HughesNet modem is showing significant usage while isolated. Follow the instructions here to get started. 

Your cooperation and patience are greatly appreciated. We look forward to hearing back from you. 

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU

@Mturner

Though it's not shown in the graphic in Liz's link due to the graphic being made before Gen5 came about, you should also disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem while performing the modem isolation test.  

If you do not know how to do so, please see section 6, entitled "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?", in the following PDF for instructions on disabling the WiFi.  

http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Documents/1041318-0001_a.pdf

The steps for the test....

1: Take a screen capture of the Status Meter
2: Disconnect the LAN cable from the modem.  If on the HT2000w, please disable wifi as well.
3: Note the date and time of the disconnect, it is best when doing step two, to also capture the time displayed on your screen.
4: Leave the LAN cable disconnected from the modem for several hours, Hughesnet recommends doing this overnight, or during the day while at work.
5: Reconnect the LAN cable to the modem.
6&7: Take a screen capture of the Status Meter with the clock displayed on your computer.
8: Post your screenshots to the community.

Please be aware, if you downloaded any large files just prior to this test, or if the disconnect was for an extensive time period, some usage may appear to have occured, but should be rather negligible. 

AlbanJ
New Poster

I have to agree with you. We shouldn't have to pay to cancel a service that isn't what was promised. It kept saying I had usage, and I had the system unplugged!!! You still have to pay the $400.00, though. That's how they stay alive. If you don't use them, they'll just steal $400.00 from you. I used to praise Hughes for their technology, but I will discourage everyone I know from doing business with them. 

maratsade

Early termination fees are standard with ISPs.  Hughesnet didn't invent this. Users sign 2-year contracts and if they end them before the 2 years are up, they have to pay a fee.  It's in the contract for all of these companies.   If you don't like this, then don't sign the contract. And no, this is not how they "stay alive."  That's an absurd notion.

@AlbanJ wrote:

I have to agree with you. We shouldn't have to pay to cancel a service that isn't what was promised. It kept saying I had usage, and I had the system unplugged!!! You still have to pay the $400.00, though. That's how they stay alive. If you don't use them, they'll just steal $400.00 from you. I used to praise Hughes for their technology, but I will discourage everyone I know from doing business with them. 

DaveE
New Poster

Funny I thought I was the only one losing data at a super high rate , I called months ago & was told it was because of old equiptment & ect , being totally dumb about this stuff I opted into a 2 year contract , with this digital contract .................Guess what nothing has changed , cost me a small fortune a month to check email & look at facebook ........don't download a thing ....no movies , no music, no nothing , computer can be turned off & it somehow loses data .......This is a joke !! On a fixed income this is a service I can do without , but I cant afford the penalty to cancel early ..........kinda like legal robbery in my book .

maratsade

No, it's not legal robbery-- it's not robbery of any kind. It is the industry standard to have 2-year contracts and to have to pay a fee to terminate early.  All ISPs do this, not just Hughesnet.  And they do work with the customer to try to fix the problems and improve the service, and they do consider waiving the fee if there is nothing that can be done. The problem is customers are quick to complain and slow to work with the company to troubleshoot, no matter what the ISP is.  Do you have issues to troubleshoot or are you here simply to complain?  This is a site to help people fix issues, not a site for empty whining.