cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worst internet company

Re: Worst internet company

True I would agree! Just didn't understand it all not used to living in the boondocks! Just curious if ur able to use Netflix tho? Or does it make it run out quick cause when I called to order I specifically told them I wanted it for Netflix and they said yes no problem and my plan was perfect for it now can't even watch Netflix that's why I was mad!
New Poster

there is some truth in what you were told, you can stream Netflix and we do frequently but I have the playback set to the lowest setting and that way your only using about 300MB per hour, I have a 32" LCD tv and the picture is fine but it takes a couple of minutes playback for it to adjust its self then the picture is good
Highlighted

Hi Hwalker89, We watch quite a bit of Netflix here in the "BoonDocks" (Southern Indiana).  My speed has taken a huge dip with the surrounding kiddos on summer break but even at slow speed if I lower my settings an manage my monthly average I can usually squeeze in roughly 10+    45 min shows, the kiddos still get 1 or 2 hr an half cartoons, hubby's able to poke around with you tube an still allows allowance for basic browsing, email, facebook, ect...  

I'm on the 10Gb anytime an 50Gb Bonus Bytes (although I hardly ever use all of them)     I use networx as a side program to kinda get a feel for what I'm using, hughes however takes LESS due to compression techniques involved. Just to give you an example in February (according to networx) I used 61,044 Mb that's a whole Gb MORE than my plan allows, I can't be exact with Hughes as Meter at the moment is FLAKY but I'm almost certain I wasted close to 5 Gb of Bonus Bytes,  that I was unable to use before the refill. I've only had a couple unexplainable drains but for the most part I always Pull more than they actually take it!!

Now to get back on track with maintaining an average and enjoying all those "little things".  You'd obviously have to adjust for your plan.. On the 10Gb plan 10,000Mb/30 days  is roughly 330Mb per day, One netflix 45min show in Sd will run you (depending on show) 245Mb --300+Mb. I usually boycot ALL streaming till I get my average closer to 500Mb per x-days left, this usually for my family of 4 takes roughly a wk- wk an a half. After that it's generally smooth sailing the rest of the month allowing for at LEAST one netflix a day NOT counting BB should we choose to use it.

MOST streaming services will not allow you to schedule downloads for the BB period BUT Amazon does although the DATA cost is a bit higher! Youtube has a video downloader usable through firefox (may work for other videos as well) If you have a you tube account, you could set to watch later an then GET UP to download.. A simple Google search will yield other ways of getting movie/tv/music Downloads, Some of these I'm able to use DAP (Download Accelerator Plus) to schedule and recieve from multiple sources at a convenient time, others MAY need a P2P program of sorts... Hopefully this helps SOME, Good Luck and Welcome to HughesNet  lol....

Picture's still quite well on my 42" LCD tv, but no pixeling on my end Smiley Happy  I usually use the Labtop connected to it, but have used the Playstation 3 netflix app although it does use MORE data (background updates would be my guess). Doesn't matter the speed or time of day (unless it's storming) takes a couple minutes to load but then it's good to go!!
Assistant Professor

I did come across this the other day, haven't tried it. Similar to Aterlo Nightshift but doesn't need a special router.

http://www.playon.tv/playlater
Assistant Professor

Melissa, great write-up! Would really recommend trying the low definition setting on Netflix instead of SD. You'll use even less data, a 40-45 minute show comes in at just above 200MB. 

Thanks Sgoshe,     I guess I mispoke, just checked my netflix and I am on the lowest setting (referred to as basic),  SD uses 700Mb an hr
                     (wow been awhile guess I didn't realize the differnce)
Thanks for the correction, One more thing I forgot to mention  watch out for 3D or extra graphical kid shows, as I've had a few of those "unccompressable???"  which cost us closer to 2 or 3 Gb even with settings at basic, those really hurt us an the kiddos were a bit ticked for a few days .......

Sounds like a really nice program but reviews aren't so good Smiley Sad  Appears to be a bit buggy and requires a RELIABLE internet connection.. I think I'll pass at least till after summer break lol...
Assistant Professor

Very interesting article here, worth reading the entire thing. http://www.tomsguide.com/us/legal-playlater-record-netflix,news-20797.html