Hughesnet Community

Worst internet on the planet company should be put out of business

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wjlusk79

Worst internet on the planet company should be put out of business

Worst internet on the planet said I used 50gb's of data in 4 days and we barely use it company should be put out of business
8 REPLIES 8
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

wjlusk79, do you stream movies?
yorkytime1
New Poster

I certainly agree with jezra!!  I spent YEARS with At&t dial up land line.  Now that is the worst service on the whole planet.  And I PAID for a separate land line just for the internet.  I thought I had died and gone to heaven when Hughes became available.  So for me.....it is find a way to FIX whatever issue you have.  The alternative is not pretty at all.....I know I have checked out every possible way to connect to internet from my rural location.  There ain't no other choice for me. 
Chris11
Alum

Hello wjlusk,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. Having a data limit does take some getting used to. Good thing is, we have some tips in helping you conserve data and get rid of data leaks. Whether you are watching videos or just browsing, there are many factors that could affect how fast data is used on your network.

First thing I would do is use a browser like Google Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Or Safari. These browsers offer useful extensions like ad blockers that will help you in using less data, and have a smoother browsing experience in general. This extension is from Chrome that I use myself:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock-plus/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb

Second take note that many more devices are capable of connecting to the internet: phones, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, and even refrigerators can connect wirelessly to the internet. Keep track of what devices you leave running on Wi-Fi.

Do you have Windows 10? Your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time. You can also set automatic windows updates to run only during the bonus period if you have windows 7 or below. Win 8/8.1 and Win10 will allow some control of this mainly with its metered connection settings however here is a more in depth way to help you with Win10 data management. Take a look here:

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/monitor-your-data-usage-in-windows-10/

For streaming lovers and multimedia content: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that may start playing as soon as you land on the site. So much content, so easily available almost everywhere on the internet. For starters, try disabling auto-play video on Facebook:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how_to_disable_autoplay_videos_on_facebook

or adjusting your Netflix playback quality to low/SD: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

- more data sources can be found here, as posted by a fellow community member: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

The most important tool to download is the Status Meter, available in the Customer Support Center, to help you monitor your data usage: supportcenter.myhughesnet.com

Your cooperation and patience are greatly appreciated. I hope all of this helps. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you,

Chris
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Like Jezra, without Hughesnet I'd be stuck with dialup, and who wants to be on dialup?  Carrier pigeons would be better.  I get one or two bars on a cell phone, so over the air access is pretty much a scrub, and the prices for such are outrageous in comparison.  I use my data within its means and it's been fine for me.  I look at it this way...at least I can get high speed access.  I'm happy with Hughesnet and have been for nearly twelve years. 
ericdanielle

Without Hughesnet, I would still be paying $102.00 a month for 0.50 mbps download speeds from Frontier DSL, with a telephone services that didn't work.  I'll gladly pay less for Hughes UP TO 15mbps download speed!

Keep up the good work hughes!!

gandeholt

I don't know about any 15mbps download, the best I have ever seen was 3 mbps with 2 being normal. We also lost gigs of our anytime 10 on the first two days of our new monthly allotment. I was very upset and checked the usage on our two Windows 10 laptops and they showed almost no usage during those two days during the anytime hours. We checked the modem and then the router which turned out fine. Then, I realized that we had new neighbors move in near us (about 400 feet) and I could see their Linksystem router at 2 bars. I got to checking and found out that our Linksystem router had a second "guest" option that was open. I assumed (not a good idea) that it would take a password to use it, not true. I went into the router menu and found a way to shut it off. Why that is open out of the box is crazy. Now, our usage has gone down to almost nothing again. Our speeds aren't good but they beat the H out of Frontier at 300 kbps that we had with their "high speed DSL". We download movies at night during the bonus time and that works great for us. We don't watch any Netflix, or anything streaming, during "anytime hours". And still, we get all we want, or need, with careful management of the data allowance. Exceed may be faster, and have some other features, but it wasn't offered by anybody I wanted to deal with in our area. However, that might change in the future if Hughes doesn't want to improve things.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I guess you found the issue you were having here: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/what-happed-to-our-daily-allotment-of-10-gigs-whe...

You can always continue in that thread to get help with the speed issue, start a new post dealing with the speed, or complain on other people's topics. Your choice.

Since you had one router problem I'm guessing you might have others that are reducing your speed.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Although a mystery user on a router is always mentioned as a possibility of phantom usage, this is actually the first one I've read about on here where it actually may have been happening.  I bet it was happening without the beneficiary of the data even knowing about it.  At least I would hope so. If I found that it was happening with my neighbor I would know they weren't doing it on purpose.  Very interesting.