Hughesnet Community

Would you accept this installation at your house?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steve Ericson

Would you accept this installation at your house?

I want to speak with someone with authority at Hughesnet about this unacceptable installation that lowers the value of my home.
23 REPLIES 23
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Just a customer myself but depending how much you paid for installation and where the dish is relative to where you wanted the modem located then yes.

If you wanted everything in raceway, painted to match, or some other special requirements then you should have made that known prior to installation and paid extra accordingly. Suggest reading the standard installation fine print of any company including cable companies.

Again, if you had special requirements you should have established that with the installation company. Could cost a significant additional amount depending what you wanted above and beyond a "standard" installation.

Suggest reading  "What’s not included in a standard installation" here: http://internet.hughesnet.com/faqs/installation/ 
Gokartergo

Sorry, Might be a little long. I am no one of authority at Hughes. But I am a Installer.  First off, If your installer is using Oasis. You would sign his tablet or phone twice. The first one is that you gave the installer permission to do the job has explained. Why didn’t you question the installer then?  You will then sign again at the end.  That you are agree to all Hughesnets terms and that the job was completed to your satisfaction. Why didn’t you question your installer then?   Next issue is.  You have a two story house. You cannot wall fish the cable from the top. It looks like you are on a cement slab.  So you cannot wall fish it from the bottom. How do you propose he gets the cable to that room?  There is other ways of doing it.. But It could cost you more..  That is not part of the standard installation.

Third issue is. It doesn’t decrease your property value.  Take out a few screw clips. Take out the coax and some spackle and some touch up paint and it is all gone.   

No, it is probably not the way I would have installed it. But I was not there nor did I talk to you to see what you wanted.  I do hope Hughes will help you get this cleared up thou..

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Steve should have established what he wanted or didn't want as far as cable runs and other details before install IMO.

Does one allow any other contractor to install anything in or on their home without prior consultation first? I sure don't!
Gokartergo

Yep, The way I do it is.  I find out what they want.. I then do a site survey to see if I can do it that way.  If I can I can explain it to them exactly what I am going to do.. I then have them sign off on it.. I then proceed to do the work..  At the end. I ask them to come outside and inspect what I have done.. To make sure everything is good. I then ask them to sign off on it.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I have to say it, killing me. From the looks of the house Steve can afford a custom install. I'm just a lower middle class person and fought like heck to build my new home and still feel like it's a palace. 

Gokartergo

All the years I have been doing this. I have learned.. Everybody's house is there palace. And I try to treat it has such.. And to respect there wishes. It is also I fine line. between. What the customer wants. What Hughesnet wants. And what I can do in the scope of a standard installation. It is tough to make everybody happy.
Gokartergo

Nice house by the way.. I like it..
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Thanks! In the mountains on 20 acres.

Still feel he's expecting much more than is provided with a standard install. Want more, pay more.

Maybe start charging $500 for every install beside equipment fee. I put conduit in the ground myself for the cable after it was installed to protect it. Didn't expect the installer to do it as a standard install. 

Guess I'm a totally different mindset from a lot of people. If I want something above and beyond the norm, I expect to pay for the privilege. 
Gokartergo

And you are the type of customer we love.. Because you understand it it.  Today I had to go do a remount.. The guy had a new roof put on. He told me it was not going back up on the roof.. I told him I could do a free pole mount .. He said I was not going to sink a pole in the ground..   I personally buy under eve mounts that are made for DTV. I told him I have one. I could put up.. But he was going to have to pay extra for that. That it was not part of a standard installation. After about 30 minutes. He decided it was going back up on his roof.  But, I gave him all three options..  That was his choice.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I installed security and computer systems for about 5 years. Gave it up as couldn't handle people anymore and low pay. Most expect people to work for $10 an hour when electricians and plumbers make $50+ an hour. Electronic installers and IT field people don't get paid near what they should.

Going to shutup for the night. Pics of front of house and view.

Gokartergo

Love it.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Gorgeous views, BirdDog.
maratsade

Are the HN dishes smaller now, that they can go on a roof?  My DirecTV dish is small and is on the roof, but my HN dish is quite large, only a little smaller than my first HN dish was.
GabeU

BirdDog,

Wow.  I love your house and your view.  It's the perfect size and I love living out in the boonies, too. 

I like smaller, single story houses (as in a first floor and a basement).  They are so much easier to take care of, plus cost less to heat and cool.  Again, your house is really nice. 

GabeU

To answer the OP's question, yes, I absolutely would. 
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Well, seeing as most every cable installer, and satellite installer will run along the outside of a home till the approximate location of the indoor equipment... Yeah, I would, as I wouldn't want to shell out the extra money to make someone do more work than what is in a typical installation. 
Steve Ericson

Posted to Facebook:
GabeU

Steve,

First, they DO have a customer service department.  Secondly, this "community" you refer to actually connects you to customer service reps at the corporate level.  Thirdly, nice language.  I'm sure that will definitely help you to get taken seriously.  Fourthly, what exactly is the problem?  The slight sag in the cable?  The last time I looked, cables aren't transparent, and if you wanted it installed so you wouldn't see it, you should have let them know, then hired someone to do that sort of job for you.  Your installation looks fine and it's my opinion that you are just being ridiculously picky. 

Again, nice language.  That always helps, especially from an adult. 

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

You did good Steve!
Vulgarity will get you .... nowhere.

Steve, this may surprise you but this forum is staffed by corporate level employees.
This next fact may also come as a surprise: Corporate level people work Monday through Friday.

Good Show there Steve!
GabeU

I'm still trying to figure out what the actual problem is.  That the cable don't come in designer colors to match the house?