Hughesnet Community

Wrong IP address?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robofran

Wrong IP address?

My Roku thinks I live in Texas but I live in Minnesota. It is displaying the wrong channels and I was told this was because of a dynamic IP address. Is there a solution for this?
3 REPLIES 3
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

No solution for it, though that reason is wrong...

IP Addresses are registered to a particular location, with Hughesnet it's not your local address, it's at their gateways and network operation centers.  It sounds like you are going through an El Paso, Texas or Amarillo, Texas gateway facility which is where your IP would be registered.

MarkJFine
Professor

A while back, Withings (now part Nokia 😞 ) added a capability to display the weather to their Internet-linked scales. It never asked for your location. I was constantly getting the weather for places I'd never even been to because they were using Geo-IP technology on my public IP address.

I let them know, vehemently, that it was technically inappropriate for people using VPNs, satellite systems, and the like, because the IP they see doesn't correctly support Geo-IP. They ultimately added an option to set ones location using the GPS in your phone - probably what they should have done all along.

You might want to explain to Roku that they're similarly making assumptions based on incorrectly applied technology, and that you should be provided an option to change the location. It's possible they just don't know, and they might just provide that option in an update.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Is true basing location on IP addressing is old technology and very flawed nowadays. GPS is really the only accurate location service now. And I have that turned off on my devices.  Don't like automatic location personally.

Pretty sure you can change the location manually in ROKU settings.