cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox 1 won't update. Fails over and over after using up my data.

Highlighted
New Poster

Xbox 1 won't update. Fails over and over after using up my data.

Ever since I switched to Hughes net, my xbox won't update.  I don't need to play online.  But I need to update my console to at least play offline.  I should still be able to use my data to download updates or games.  Every time I have tried to download an update or game, it fails.  Why?  I did manage to complete the last update, but only after 5 tries!  Not only that, but I just tried to download an update of 431mb and my remaining 4gb of data disappeared, and it still failed.  Why is Hughes Net allowing large amounts of my data to be used if they know it is going to fail?  Now I'm left with zero data, and no update, again.  If xbox doesn't work at all with hughes net, why don't they just say so?  I never had update failures before.  I don't understand what the problem is.  But I am paying for data that is going down the drain, and nobody will give me a clear answer.  So thanks a lot to both hughes net and xbox for the lack of info and help.  Hope they enjoy my money because i got nothing in return but a waste of time and money.   There is no reason why I should have to download something 4 or 5 times using all my data for it to maybe work.  WHAT is the problem!??  Is there a cap on how much data can be used at once?   I'm a bit frustrated, sorry.  I can't even watch movies now or even play a game offline and I am by myself here all christmas.  Zero data because of a failed download that was way smaller than the data that was used.  

1 REPLY 1
Assistant Professor

Re: Xbox 1 won't update. Fails over and over after using up my data.

1. Are you using a LAN cable or wifi?
2. If using wifi, is the xbox within range of the modem so it's getting a perfect signal?
3. Also if using wifi, is the wifi set up to be compatible with the xbox (e.g., 5GHz band, 802.11ac protocol)?

All of these can determine why it's failing and/or using more data than necessary. If the wifi isn't clean, each nack will result in a packet resend, requring more data than usual. Too many resends and the download can fail, or result in the wifi signal being dropped completely.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.