Yet another Gen5 Beam 55 customer with very slow speed

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TYGRHobbes
Junior

Yet another Gen5 Beam 55 customer with very slow speed

I switched to Gen5 from Gen4 about a month after it was available back in the spring of 2017. It was amazing. I was getting higher than advertised speeds of around 30Mbps avg. around the clock. It was amazing coming from Gen4.

Now enter summer, speeds during prime time were slowing down considerably but other times were ok. I would say it was getting close to what the Gen4 service was like, during peak hours.

End of summer to now. It is definitely worse than Gen4 was. I basically can't watch video from noon to midnight, even at 144p without it buffering every 5 sec. Web pages load very slow. There is a very small window between 1am and 7am that I get anything above 20Mbps. It's pretty ridiculous when the speeds are less than 1Mbps for the majority of the day.

And this is all at full speeed, not FAP.

As far as hardware/software on my end, nothing has changed since I got Gen5. And it has worked wonderfully in the past. It just seems like there was a gradual decline to the point we are at now. I've pretty much gone through all the basic hoops to try and fix this with no luck. It's probably not on my end as I'm getting 20Mbps+ in the wee hours of the morning, so I know I'm capable of it.

Here is the speed test for the last few days. All done at full speed with no FAP except for the very last test at 7:26pm on Thanksgiving. As you can see the pattern pretty much follows the same routine every day which is typical for the last few months. Fine after midnight until the morning with a big decline from noon until midnight again.

http://testmy.net/quickstats/TYGRHobbes

Is Gen4 having problems like this now? I did not sign up for sub 1Mbps speeds from noon to midnight. Quite honestly I didn't expect the advertised rate of 25Mbps to hold up throughout the day or at all, I'd be happy with even half that. But less than 1Mbps non FAP, that is unacceptable. There obviously is a problem somewhere as I've now seen examples of people getting 30Mbps+ throughout the day and night. At least that gives me some hope that this can be fixed.

Thank you.

38 REPLIES 38

I'm out of patience. It's been months and months. I was offered $30 a month off my bill to "compensate" for slow speeds but that means I'm paying $80 a month for dial up speed. I'm about to contact journalists, Better Business Bureau, everyone. Hughesnet never sends any updates to its customers. Utterly ridiculous. Beyond angry.

Here is one more on beam 55, had the same problem for months now. Several sessions wteh tech support, no solution. Escalated to tier 4 support, finall called after 10 days left a callback # but no pin so I couldn't get back to them.  Waiting for another call.  Speed this morning 311kb

If you are having problems start your own thread and put up your test results like this -> https://testmy.net/quickstats/TYGRHobbes

Just keep giving updates and eventually something will happen.

They are sending a tech to repoint my dish to the older staellite to see if it makes a difference.

Tech just left. Now I'm on ES17 Beam 3 and I'm getting 20Mbps+ as of now. I'll report back if anything gets worse.

@Liz  Monday night at 10pm on Feb. 5th my speeds have gone back down to sub 1Mbps. I was switched to ES17 Beam 3 a few weeks ago. It was on Beam 3 when this new problem started but after I rebooted my modem it now shows me on Beam 35. I was able to get testmy.net and Verizon speed tests to work which showed 1Mbps or less. I know we don't use testmy.net anymore but I couldn't get any other speed test to work including speedtest.net. They would all give me a server connection error or a latency error. I don't know why all of a sudden I'm on a new beam, beam 3 was fine until tonight. I noticed this not from the speed test but from web surfing and video watching coming to a screeching halt right after 10pm.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/TYGRHobbes

@Liz  It seems after about a little over an hour speeds have gone back up to around 20Mbps. Speedtest.net is now working too though it's giving me inconsistant results from 9-29Mbps. Video and surfing seem ok now. But still curious why I was moved from beam 3 to beam 35? It does seem a bit faster now.

http://www.speedtest.net/results?sh=8d6877161e19aae299376532de241755

Good morning TYGRHobbes,

The beam change was engineering's suggestion. They also tested testmy.net recently and have found that it's OK to use again, so no need to try other speed test sites. 

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

finally Tier 4 engineering admitted a problem with Echo Star 19, sent a tech out to reloacte onto Echo Star 17.  This has been a known problem for a long time. Tech told me he has done the same for customers about 30 per month.  My donload speed is now 15 to 28 MBS most of the time but still not consistant.

tomyash
Freshman

How do I know what beam I am on. (new customer)  My IP gateway is Data IPGW - J2NLV052HNSIGW0202.  Same problem though.  When first hooked up it was fantastic now I'm lucky to get anything above 1.0 download.  Looks like I'm back to Verizon DSL, at least there I got 3.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@tomyash wrote:

How do I know what beam I am on. (new customer)  My IP gateway is Data IPGW - J2NLV052HNSIGW0202.  Same problem though.  When first hooked up it was fantastic now I'm lucky to get anything above 1.0 download.  Looks like I'm back to Verizon DSL, at least there I got 3.

tomyash,

You're on beam 52, and you are on the ES19 satellite (J2).  I've put the corresponding info in bold and underlined it in your gateway string (in your reply that I quoted).  

Also, the NLV that's in the string refers to your gateway being in North Las Vegas.  The 0202 refers to the pathway you're currently connected through (each gateway has many), sort of like the gateway being a multi-lane highway bridge connecting you to the internet, and the pathway being a specific lane.  The pathway will sometimes change, as well, but the rest will stay the same.    

P.S.  I know you didn't ask for any of this additional info, but I figured I'd let you know, nonetheless.  

Thanks for the additional info.  Every little byte (pun) helps.

Any thoughts on the speed issue.  On-site tech support is scheduled for tomorrow but its snowing in my part of PA right now.  Near Pottsville home of Yuengling beer.

Hi, new to service as well. First day great then not so much. Have been testing every day and during prime times getting not quite 1 mbps. download. This morning at 4am got 27mbps, Even watched a movie without buffering. Created three cases with support and am told they are checking and will get back to me. Twice lost call with them. About two weeks into service and quite distraught. Any ideas?

GabeU

@choppergeoff

If you're not on beam 55 you should start a new topic for your speed issues, which you can do by clicking on the blue "Start a topic" button on the upper right while within the Tech Support section.  

You can find out which beam you're on by going to http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/information (click on the link).  In the Satellite box on the lower right, check the Satellite Name and Beam ID.  If it's not Echostar 19 and Beam ID 55 you should start a new topic.  If it DOES show ES19 and beam 55, the HughesNet engineers are aware of the issue and are working on a fix.   

Look at my speeds since 5pm yesterday and tell me it didn't get worse after the outage. I thought it was supposed to get better soon, not worse.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/TYGRHobbes

Hi TYGRHobbes,

Thank you for your patience while we work to address these concerns. I have an update for you, so please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I will send you a PM with details.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU

@tomyash wrote:

Any thoughts on the speed issue.  On-site tech support is scheduled for tomorrow but its snowing in my part of PA right now.  Near Pottsville home of Yuengling beer.

Not really for beam 52.  There are speed tests that are requested to be run when someone is having a speed issue, but being that you have tech support scheduled for tomorrow we should wait to see what they say.  

As long as it's not snowing heavily, and as long as your dish is fairly clean, the snow shouldn't really be causing much of an issue.  Heavy snowfall can, as well as heavy/wet snow, including when it's built up on the dish.  But, with that said, I live near Erie, PA (in Western, NY), and the slew of snow that we've been getting hasn't been affecting my service. 

Hopefully your on site support tomorrow will be able to help.  🙂  

Trigeekbil
New Poster

Just GREAT!!  Finally droppoed my 'slow' 6.0 down-speed DSL service yesterday and signed up for Gen5.  Welcome to Day 1...my average HughesNet speed today, with a dozen test, is 1.7 down but 2.4 UP...not looking very good at this point.  I should have done a little more research, obviously!