cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You Too Can Work WIth HughesNet To Get Better Service

You Too Can Work WIth HughesNet To Get Better Service

Last fall I started having trouble with HughesNet, especially in the evening on week nights, and Saturday and Sunday afternoon and evening. Calls to their service were absolutely of no use at all. When I called I could not even get my email and they always wanted me to go to the customer service page and do speed tests. When I told them that I could not get a connection, they always said it was a problem with my equipment. I am a retired computer guy, after 39 years of service, and there was absolutely nothing wrong with my computers and home network. After suffering with this situation for several months, I decided that something needed to be done, and it was going to take a much higher HughesNet authority to make it happen. I contacted the Washington DC Better Business Bureau. They have a specific page to report problems with HughesNet, as HughesNet is in their operational district. I filled out the form with great detail, telling about the bad reception, bad service practices, and explained the problem that I was having. In a few days I received a call from **** at HughesNet. I explained my background in networking and computers, and described my difficulty with evening and weekend connections. As I saw it, their linking me to the XO Communications network, via Seattle WA, was such a congested network it was almost impossible to use. They wanted me to do Upload and Download tests from their test page. I explained that most of the time, when I could not get on any site, it was not possible to run the tests, as there was nothing but their message telling me that "My Connections Was Reset By The Server" and I had some kind of a problem. After several weeks of testing, I was able to demonstrate that my connection was less than reliable evenings and on weekends. Next they sent out an installer to trouble shoot my system and my local network and computer systems. The installer reported back that there was nothing wrong with my HughesNet equipment, my network, or my computer setup. I again heard back from **** who brought Brad, his Network Guy, into the conversation. Again I explained what I was experiencing and seeing with my tests from my location. Again they ask for another series of Upload/Download tests using their site. Again I was able to demonstrate that there was a considerable amount of time that I could not connect to the network. **** and Brad again called and informed me that that they had made some changes to my connection, and they wanted me to make another series of tests. AND NOW THE GOOD NEWS! To my surprise, I could get on any time I wanted, and the speed was amazing! I am on the 1 MB download speed program with the Recovery Act. I am now seeing reliable 2 to 2.4 MB download speed, with my normal no connection times delivering 1 MB or better download speeds. No more loss of email connections, slow loading web pages, or failure to download large files! My testing showed that they now had me routed with the "DirectWay Network, and in most cases leaving that for the Level3 Network. All my tests show both to be extremely fast, and lacking in congestion during my normally busy times of the day. I cannot say enough about **** and Brad, and how they were able to give me back a reliable fast connection through HughesNet. It has taken weeks of testing and communications, but in the end the results have been worth all the trouble it took to get here. So you see, it is possible to work with HughesNet and obtain a good outcome, thanks to **** and Brad. They certainly went the distance to provide me with a great connection through HughesNet. A big hat's off to them both, for a job well done!
George in Albion MI
12 REPLIES 12

Re: You Too Can Work WIth HughesNet To Get Better Service

Hi George,

It sounds like we have similar systems, and identical problems. I'm on day 120 of trying to get it resolved. Hopefully, someone from support will see your topic here and try this with my service. Thanks for sharing!

Greetings from a fellow Michigander (Upper Peninsula)! Go Wings!!

Hi Mike, it has been over a week already, and I continue to have great service. Hope you are able to overcome your problems as well.
George

George, that's great news. Thank you for updating us Smiley Happy

OK, great that you got the service finally fixed. What I have issues with, is the amount of time you were paying in full for service and received no where near that.

Why is this a good thing? Should we not expect a better return on the money being paid to a company to provide a service?

Hi Sara, your team really did a good job of taking care of me. It was a slow process, but a necessary one to demonstrate the difficulty I was having. My service continues to be very good.
George

Hi Sara, your team really did a good job of taking care of me. It was a slow process, but a necessary one to demonstrate the difficulty I was having. My service continues to be very good.
George

Hi Robin s.
I live in the country, no chance of any kind of high speed internet. Was on dial up for years, very slow and hard to do any kind of work over.
Hughes net, via the Recovery Act, was a fantastic upgrade for me. Even having to get up in the early morning and not trying to do anything after about 6 PM most days was a lot better than the old dial up system. Yes it was frustrating at times, but you learn to adapt and be thankful to what you have.
I don't regret any of the cost I have had to date, and after all, when I started complaining about the service problem, they did what they needed to do to get my service back working correctly.
Happy to have the service that I am getting from HughesNet!

George

I too live in the sticks. But I am not willing to pay for a service I'm not receiving. I've been a customer for about seven years so I have an idea just how much dependable service has declined.

We're moving, when that happens I'll be exploring other options. I most certainly will not continue with Hughes. They are going to have to start doing at least as good as when I first signed on with them before I'd give it another chance.

There are other options available now, such as personal wifi.
New Poster

First off George glad your getting better service. 2nd Robin look close at your options Personal WIFI still has issues too . They claim its unlimited well its not they will throttle you if your useage goes beyond what they set forth . I have unlimited 3g service and the speeds at times are way below what I paying for .