cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YouTube Caching Problems (WideSpread I Understand).

fasthack
New Poster

YouTube Caching Problems (WideSpread I Understand).

Greetings; I know this is a widespread problem. Whenever I watch Anything on YouTube it stalls, so I have to settle (pause) until some of the video is cached. This is very annoying. Normally I have to settle for a low-res version of the video in order to have a smooth experience. I am please, however, to report that this seems to be my only problem. I am pleased with other sites like Netflix. I would like to have a solution to this.

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: YouTube Caching Problems (WideSpread I Understand).

How are you watching YouTube? Are you using an app, or are you watching directly on their site, or something else?  

fasthack
New Poster

I am watching on my PC, no app, just straight to the webpage.

maratsade

What resolution do you use? You may want to opt for lower res, as congestion and latency can make higher res buffer a lot.

What time do you watch? YouTube is a bear during prime time. It's pretty fine in the morning and gets worse and worse as the day progresses and more people are tapping into the ISP's network.

An alternative would be to use PlayOn Cloud, which works like a cloud DVR.  You record the video in the cloud (no data usage at all), get an email when it's done recording, then you can download the video (this uses data) and watch the file without buffering. You can keep the video forever, too.   Each item you record costs 25c.  

fasthack
New Poster

My point is: About a month ago, I was using TDS for my Internet Provider & I NEVER had this type of issue. I don't know why Hughes has a problem playing YouTube videos, but it is a VERY Pronounced problem. Im sure Hughes knows it is a large problem. I need to know the solution, please....

maratsade

Satellite internet is different from any terrestrial internet due to the latency caused by the signal traveling thousands of miles through space, which causes high latency, especially noticeble with data intensive tasks. 

The solution to your problem is to go back to terrestrial internet. 

fasthack
New Poster

Hughes is supposed to adopt 5G, correct? When will this happen & when it does I certainly hope it will clear up problems like this.

GabeU

@fasthack wrote:

Hughes is supposed to adopt 5G, correct? When will this happen & when it does I certainly hope it will clear up problems like this.

No.  5G is the mobile network.  HughesNet is via satellite.

Might you be thinking of HughesNet's Gen5?  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro