cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your download totals are wrong.....

Assistant Professor

Re: Your download totals are wrong.....

You are picking up another person's WiFi signal, not their modem. If you can see them, thy most likely can see you and use your internet if you don't have it protected with encryption and a password.

Even with that, someone can hack in with some basic tools available online. And Facebook can use quite a bit of data if you let everything load automatically. Do you have ad blocker plug-in on your browser?

I know I'm picking up someone else's wifi signal but this is a new occurrence just like my data drain is.  I don't think they have hacked in and even if they were we have changed the password but the drain continued.  I'm not exactly sure how they measure the data amounts and my question is: is it possible as they use their internet on their system that it is getting charged to my account?    

This just started and I've never picked up another wifi in the area before now.  Seems suspicious to me that there is apparently a new customer in the valley and this starts on my account. 

I do have the ad blocker on and have tried to disable all those video ads that just start running but some of them do slip through. 

Assistant Professor

If you use Chrome here is a blocker to prevent HTML5 videos from auto playing. It is what many sites are switching to. There are other ones for the other browsers.
There are also Flash blockers.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/disable-youtube-html5-pla/enmofgaijnbjpblfljopnpdogpldapoc...
Highlighted

I don't use chrome cause it doesn't work with some of the bank accts. I have but I can sure switch to it for regular surfing, e-mail, etc.  Thanks
Associate Professor

No, the signal doesn't magically leak over like that.  I have 6 or so neighbors beside me, literally with in 500 foot that all have Gen4, no such issue.
Alum

Hi RayandDeb,

Thank you for taking the time to post all of your results thus far. I want to assure you that we are committed to helping you resolve your concerns. We do have an update for you. Whenever you disconnect your modem from either your router or computer, our system logs a 13.1.1 code. This code tells our system that your LAN cable is disconnected. Here is a screenshot of what we see on our end for your site:

What this displays are all of the posted 13.1.1 codes, the dates for when they occurred, and the duration of each disconnect. The longest disconnection posted is 12 seconds; however none of these disconnections appear on 5/16/15.

After gathering your status meter screenshot, what we will need to do is ensure that when you disconnect the LAN cable from the back of your modem, the top light of your modem labeled 'LAN' shuts off. Then you can leave it unplugged for a few hours while you are out. When you return home, be sure to plug in a single device if possible to your modem. Take a screenshot of your status meter and compare. We'll be able to compare your usage reports and time that the cable was disconnected on our end after you let us know it has been done. 

Thank you, 

Chris

I have been on the internet since there was an internet and this is the worst service I have ever had. Not only can't they read the usage right when you call in they don't speak english.  Last month I had an issue with data usage and they wanted me to stand on my head in the corner and go lalalalala and then tell me it wasn't their problem.  I bought a couple of tokens cause I had to use the net.  I now get the bill and it shows I bought a 2G token for $64 and a 1G token for $9.  When I called to question the bill I get some guy in India or the Phillipines and I could not understand him and he could not understand my question.  I ask for another rep that spoke english and he would not transfer my call.  I've had it and will be cancelling my service when I get home.  Oh that reminds me, I haven't been home since May 19th. system reset itself on the 20th. and I am down to 57% available.  HOW?
Sophomore

I so agree with you!  This is terrible.  I switched two months ago from an old gen4 plan because someone at HN told me that there was a new plan, much faster and with much more data at the same price and that I needed to upgrade.  With the old plan, I never ran out of data before the month was out.  Within a week after switching, I had used up all my data for the month.  On this new plan they are charging differently and when you complain, you are told to jump through all these hoops to figure out the problem.  Nothing has changed at my house.  No new devices, just me and my husband, no netflix (can't watch too broken up), nothing new.  Researching on the web and on hughesnet and downloading netguard, networx, status meter, etc. does not resolve the problem and just uses more data.  The problem is that they are charging differently!  I want my old plan back!!!!!  And those that say complaining doesn't help can quit reading the posts.  I want to complain and I want and expect HN to do better.
Associate Professor

RayandDebTyrell,

Chris stated and showed earlier that you had not disconnected your modem from approximately 8:13PM on 5/17/15 to 4:54PM on 5/18/15.  The only disconnect you had around that time frame was for 12 seconds.  No disconnects occurred at all on the 17th when you took the screenshot to start the troubleshooting process.  If you wish to prove your allowance is disapearing, then please continue with the troubleshooting steps posted earlier. 

1: Take a screen shot of the Hughes Modem SCC at http://192.168.0.1 (Be careful to crop your SAN out)
2: Immediately unplug your LAN cable from your Hughesnet modem. (Unplugging from the router will not work, the modem needs to be disconnected from the LAN cable)
3: Wait for an extensive time period, 12 hours approximately.
4: Plug the modem DIRECTLY to a single PC and navigate directly to http://192.168.0.1 and take another screeen shot.
5: Post back with your times, and screen shots.

Please be aware, Hughes can tell when a device is removed from the modem, so not disconnecting the modem from the router won't help, and removing power from the modem also doesn't help as it doesn't prove an error on Hughes end.
New Poster

Like I said and you apparently didn't read my last post, you want me to stand in the corner on my head, stick my fingers in my ears, and go lalalalala to do something that won't prove anything.