cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your download totals are wrong.....

Assistant Professor

Re: Your download totals are wrong.....

Seriously? I have ATT cell phone. This is what comes up when I search for data plans.

I pay 250 dollars a month for two phones, a land line and 50 GB of data. My original plan was 150 dollars a month for 10GB, two phones and a land line and last year I added 40 GB for just 100 dollars more when I realized that Hughes was never going to be reliable. Maybe I have a better plan because it's a family plan, but I get an additional 40 GB of reliable internet that never goes out, that doesn't disconnect and that rolls over every month for the same amount that HughesNet Charges for 20 GB of unreliable internet (Bonus time does not count for me since I am not a vampire) that does not roll over, that is constantly disconnecting and whose status meter cannot be trusted. It'll be even cheaper this fall when I cancel my landline, which costs 20 bucks. So I'll be paying 230 dollars a month after that.  

Since the OP seems to be a couple, it's likely they also have a family cell phone plan. I recommend they talk to their cell providers to explore their options. Switching over to ATT has made a world of difference for me for the same exact cost that Hughes charges me. 
Assistant Professor

Well, for me I get Ultra plan for $100/month with Hughes. That is 50GB Anytime and 50GB Bonus time. I pay $90 a month for ATT shared plan with 1GB data. I would be nuts to switch to $250/month when total now is $190.

My Hughes connection has been quite reliable and fast (relatively). Mostly well above 6Mbps except during peak time when it can drop to 2-3Mbps. I can still stream Netflix even then at low definition which is fine with me.

I'm not jumping ship anytime soon. Internet in the boonies is expensive no matter which way one goes.

Test just now:

Just for grins the ATT test using HughesNet connection:

Associate Professor

Yep, let's keep funding AT&T, the ones that refuse to deploy DSL any further and lied to the government numerous times about DSL rollout when buying up most of the other landline providers like BellSouth, all just so they can charge high fees for wireless data.
Highlighted

First of all, sghoshe, I didn't tell you to jump ship. If you like your service, more power to you. But as this board proves, many many people do NOT like their service, including the original poster and myself. You erroneously stated that ATT is more expensive. I shared my experience that for the same cost of hughesnet, I could add reliable 40GB to a phone plan I was already paying for and that was more data than hughesnet was giving me. I was sharing my experience of what I had to do in order to get reliable internet for the same cost with more data for the benefit of the OP, not for the benefit of people who are fine with their service. I honestly have no idea why anyone would hang out on these boards if they were happy with hughesnet, but I guess we all need a hobby. 

I had no idea that Hughesnet charges some people 100 dollars for 20 GB and the same for 50 GB. That's absolutely crazy and once again another reason why this company is taking advantage of people and doesn't bother to alert their customers that their plans have changed. I was under the impression 20 GB was the largest plan. I've received no information about this in the mail. Major fail on hughesnet, if I had known this and they managed to fix their connectivity issues, I might have stayed with them. 

Secondly, Charles Scott, I don't really care what you think about ATT or anything else. They have provided me with reliable service as well as great troubleshooting help when I needed it. They also never lied to me about their service, have never blamed everything from the modem to the wiring in my house (that the tech stepped into for three minutes) for problems I experienced with their service, have never given me a false installation quote and then charged 200 dollars more, as well as promising I would get rebates and then not giving them to me until I contacted this board nearly a year later. I cannot say the same for Hughesnet. It's lovely that you're happy with your service. As you can see from these boards, many people are not. Most people exist in the digital age, where they need more data than an 80 year old person who still uses yahoo. Many people, like myself, need to exist in the real time digital world for their jobs. You obviously have a LOT of time on your hands to dedicate to these boards and praising Hughesnet while boo-ing other companies that many people have had much better experiences with. But I do not have that kind of time. I work. And I need reliable internet in order to do that. 
Associate Professor

Charles, this isn't a discussion about DSL. No one brought up DSL. Most people who have hughes are not on a position to get DSL because they are resorting to hughes. I was providing an internet option that worked for me for these poor people who AREN'T paid schills of hughesnet like yourself. 

Random people I don't know not getting ATT DSL access doesn't concern me when they have been a reliable company (and the only company) that can provide me with both reliable internet and reliable phone access in my rural area. Or do you suggest I boycott them because of some weird DSL thing that doesn't even concern me and not have phone access? ::eyeroll::

Charles, you are clearly either a hughesnet employee and get paid to be on these boards or you are someone who has WAY too much time on his hands. If it's the latter, I advise you to get a life. This is kind of sad, if this is how you choose to spend your time. 
Associate Professor

I brought up DSL because of the AT&T comment earlier, AT&T promised to roll out DSL to everyone with in the Bellsouth and AT&T footprint, several million people, that are stuck with services like Hughesnet and Exede.  Yet people still support AT&T for lying about the DSL rollout.  Le'sigh. -.-  Think about it, you are paying more for cellular data than you would have for DSL, if AT&T had kept their promise to the FCC in the beginning.

Hi corporate gods my download speed is not 10 not 7 not even 5 but 4.5 but I pay  82.00 dollares a mounth for your 10 -2 meg upload plan . so since you are not living up to your part of the deal ...you can give me some more data????because lets face it if you are not going to live up to your part of the deal why should I?????fiber optics will be in my area in August or September get it fixed or I will be out of here. Its just that simple . this is not internet, this is crap internet! hurry up with the 50 gig day and 50 gig night plan hurry now.. because I pay my bill..this is a joke.

they outta call the tokens cocaine. Hell they treat use like kids. come feed your addition you bandwidth junkies. Come feed you cocaine addition. Tokens I feel like a kid at a arcade place in the 80's.  Come thinking about it cocaine was popular in the 80's to. Thats my comments for 6-14-2015 signing off for just a little awhile.. lol   I am telling Google will save us all someday. they are getting into to satellite internet in a big way. Yes its possabel they are 40 times bigger then hughesnet...think about that.