Youtube Does Not Play Videos On Computers Or Phone

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ecoalex2
Tutor

Youtube Does Not Play Videos On Computers Or Phone

*** I tried to post in the General Discussion Forum, but the Label **bleep** would not accept anything I came up with, so I had to post here my bad ?****

Yesterday Youtube stopped playing videos. All other streaming videos from other servers play. This is on 2 computers with different versions of Linux Mint, and an android phone. It's as if Google has blocked me, or I was hacked. I tried using another google account, didn't help. I did get messages to try pay service, I ignored them. I thought Youtube was free, is it all paywalled now not just the premium channels? I looked at the help suggestions they all didn't apply, as I was current with flash video updates, or any other suggestions. The screen just shows the buffering swirl, I can see the video stills using the slider, yet the videos don't play. Any suggestions appreciated .Maybe Covid-19? ;(

21 REPLIES 21
MarkJFine
Professor

Didn't belong in General anyway

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
nmezza73

The same thing happened to me! Youtube won't play on my pc, ipad or iphone and Netflix's website won't load either. I turned off wifi on my iphone and used my at&t data and it worked so this is definitely an issue with Hughes Net and not my computer. I called tech support last night and they gave me more high speed data because I was out and it didn't fix anything. Tried calling again today and they're currently too busy to take calls and won't even let me wait on hold. Please respond back if you figure out how to fix it! 

Thanks for the info.I don't have decent phone coverage from AT&T here, but if you did have a connection from another isp, that may show it is a hughes problem with just Youtube/Google. All other streaming does work, so it is just a Google/Youtube problem. Gmail does work, so not a total Google problem.

Sounds like one for the Hughes techs.. PFFFFFFFcat.png

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"that may show it is a hughes problem with just Youtube/Google."

Or more likely a problem with CenturyLink, a provider of internet backbone. 

Thanks for the input and information.Lab Cat.png. Hopefully Hughes can test and see where the problem is..

Hi everyone,

Thanks for posting and sharing your feedback. Our engineers are currently investigating.  Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

-Liz

PS 

Nice to see you again ecoalex, I've missed your cat pics. 🙂

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Thanks for the reply. I understand and will have patience, (These are interesting times!)

maratsade

It is said there is a Chinese curse that goes "may you live in interesting times."

jjrshewmake wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I understand and will have patience, (These are interesting times!)

Hi Liz 🙂 

Today I used Vimeo video streaming with no problem, a few videos.

I did notice I had problems with my Gmail emails accts, the 2 @gmail,com , the 3rd @Hughes.net was able to be sent. The problem seemed to be resolved after 20 minutes. The Youtube video problem remains, as many posters have mentioned. I am sure Hughes is working on this, I am patient as you know 😉

Thank You for all you do,

Happykitten.png

And now Youtube videos seem to be working! Thank you engineers.

All Good Now 🙂 emails were not good, now all good 🙂

Thanks to the techs, admins, Liz, all:) Back at it....Carry On.:)

NoWorries.png.

Hooray! Thank you all for the confirmation!

Please don't hesitate to drop by the community again if you have any other concerns (or if you want to shoot the breeze and share more cat pics in our General Discussion board.)

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Esullivan61
New Poster

We're having the same problem: can't play Youtube videos since Friday, April 3rd. And we periodically can't even connect to the site at all (the connection attempt times out after ~30 seconds). This problem is happening on all three of our computers, so it's not a hardware or malware issue, and I've also eliminated my router as the culprit. My guess is that Hughesnets recent "prioritization" of bandwidth is at the root of the matter, but I really can't say for sure. Bittorrent traffic is also affected: cannot connect to trackers. Anyhow, the problem is not on your end, and I expect it will mysteriously clear up as soon as the COVID-19 situation improves.
jjrshewmake
Freshman

This is exactly what is happening with me. Youtube videos will not play/download on any devices using my Hughesnet modem/router.

AT&T connection will play Youtube videos fine.

Video on other websites play/download fine through Hughesnet.

I hope that someone responsible at hughesnet reads this thread - and fixes the problem!

Same thing here. Can't upload or download. I tested my speed and it's incredibly slow, 2.12 download. I can see Face Book and Youtube, pics but just see to black screen and the spinning wheel. I can see videos on my phone with ATT so it seems to be a Hughesnet issue. Bummer since I pay for AmazonVideo and can't watch anything.
East324
Spectator

Finally. I found others with my same problem. I cant watch videos on any application. No download speeds. I cant even open google docs, which I haven't seen anyone else say yet. However, I'm feeling as though I should call Hughesnet because they must have an explanation for this. Possibly the Rona? I have never had this much trouble with internet in my life.
Esullivan61
New Poster

I'm pretty sure Hughesnet is aware of the problem-  the message below is posted at the top of the "My Account" page:

"Customer Notice #5, March 20, 2020
With so many people using the internet at home, HughesNet user traffic has doubled over last week. This increase has resulted in the HughesNet network operating at full capacity across most of the US. To improve work from home and educational activities, we have implemented the following changes:

1. Speeds have been increased for customers who have exceeded their plan data (i.e., we have raised the "caps".
    2. Cloud-based business applications have been prioritized.
    3. Educational tools have been prioritized.
We are doing everything possible to make sure you stay connected in this challenging time."

Items 2 and 3 suggest that they have implemented  traffic shaping to accommodate the people that are working or attending school online. It seems that consequently they have underprovisioned the bandwidth that was previously allocated for more recreational pursuits (such as Youtube, Bittorrent, etc.). It's not clear if this was intentional or if the engineers just did a lousy job of repartitioning the traffic. I'm not expecting the situation to improve until life returns to normal.

GabeU

@Esullivan61 wrote:
Items 2 and 3 suggest that they have implemented  traffic shaping to accommodate the people that are working or attending school online. It seems that consequently they have underprovisioned the bandwidth that was previously allocated for more recreational pursuits (such as Youtube, Bittorrent, etc.). It's not clear if this was intentional or if the engineers just did a lousy job of repartitioning the traffic. I'm not expecting the situation to improve until life returns to normal.

The prioritization is intentional.  What the OP and others are describing is not.  Something else is going on with that, as that's not a result of traffic prioritization.  A possible CenturyLink issue, as maratsade noted.  During the current climate CL related issues have only increased.  😞

lambchopp59
Spectator

I'm having the exact same issue. I have a You Tube video cued up right now that won't even start. It's been like that for nearly 2 weeks, I sent an email to Hughes Net support but no reply. Streaming content on other sites, no problems. 

I've checked all settings, cleaned out my cache, all the suggestions I could find to no avail. 

Today I go to work, and I'll try to watch the latest Last Week Tonight on my phone there because that has always been glitch-free internet even on their "guest" connection. 

I've heard of some bandwidth issues during peak usage hours on other providers with the number of shelter in place persons , trying to stream movies all the same time but this YouTube death issue seems to be unique with Hughes. 

maratsade

The issue with sites not loading is not unique to HN, but it's more noticeable on HN because of latency issues. 

• It's a known issue, they're looking into it
  • Troubleshooting takes time, sometimes a long time
  • Patience is necessary in these chaotic times
  • If you have a workaround (like going to work to do stuff), it'd be wise to use it 
lambchopp59 wrote:

I've heard of some bandwidth issues during peak usage hours on other providers with the number of shelter in place persons , trying to stream movies all the same time but this YouTube death issue seems to be unique with Hughes.