cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Youtube Does Not Play Videos On Computers Or Phone

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Youtube Does Not Play Videos On Computers Or Phone

I'm pretty sure Hughesnet is aware of the problem-  the message below is posted at the top of the "My Account" page:

"Customer Notice #5, March 20, 2020
With so many people using the internet at home, HughesNet user traffic has doubled over last week. This increase has resulted in the HughesNet network operating at full capacity across most of the US. To improve work from home and educational activities, we have implemented the following changes:

1. Speeds have been increased for customers who have exceeded their plan data (i.e., we have raised the "caps".
    2. Cloud-based business applications have been prioritized.
    3. Educational tools have been prioritized.
We are doing everything possible to make sure you stay connected in this challenging time."

Items 2 and 3 suggest that they have implemented  traffic shaping to accommodate the people that are working or attending school online. It seems that consequently they have underprovisioned the bandwidth that was previously allocated for more recreational pursuits (such as Youtube, Bittorrent, etc.). It's not clear if this was intentional or if the engineers just did a lousy job of repartitioning the traffic. I'm not expecting the situation to improve until life returns to normal.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@Esullivan61 wrote:
Items 2 and 3 suggest that they have implemented  traffic shaping to accommodate the people that are working or attending school online. It seems that consequently they have underprovisioned the bandwidth that was previously allocated for more recreational pursuits (such as Youtube, Bittorrent, etc.). It's not clear if this was intentional or if the engineers just did a lousy job of repartitioning the traffic. I'm not expecting the situation to improve until life returns to normal.

The prioritization is intentional.  What the OP and others are describing is not.  Something else is going on with that, as that's not a result of traffic prioritization.  A possible CenturyLink issue, as maratsade noted.  During the current climate CL related issues have only increased.  Smiley Sad

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
Spectator

I'm having the exact same issue. I have a You Tube video cued up right now that won't even start. It's been like that for nearly 2 weeks, I sent an email to Hughes Net support but no reply. Streaming content on other sites, no problems. 

I've checked all settings, cleaned out my cache, all the suggestions I could find to no avail. 

Today I go to work, and I'll try to watch the latest Last Week Tonight on my phone there because that has always been glitch-free internet even on their "guest" connection. 

I've heard of some bandwidth issues during peak usage hours on other providers with the number of shelter in place persons , trying to stream movies all the same time but this YouTube death issue seems to be unique with Hughes. 

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

The issue with sites not loading is not unique to HN, but it's more noticeable on HN because of latency issues. 

• It's a known issue, they're looking into it
  • Troubleshooting takes time, sometimes a long time
  • Patience is necessary in these chaotic times
  • If you have a workaround (like going to work to do stuff), it'd be wise to use it 
lambchopp59 wrote:

I've heard of some bandwidth issues during peak usage hours on other providers with the number of shelter in place persons , trying to stream movies all the same time but this YouTube death issue seems to be unique with Hughes. 

Highlighted

Yes I have the same issue as of April 2nd. I can bring my laptop elswhere like work and it works fine.

I  have been watching you tube here for months with some buffering but now, just a swirling arrow.

I also can see the stills in the bottom. I tried to contact Hughes Net via their direct chat. waited over an hour and got NO response. Hughes net is supposed to cater to residential customers mostly, I also tried to call customer service and waited for a good 45 minutes with no response. Hopefuly HN fixes this soon as I feel a little ripped off paying premium for internet service and having it so limited and difficult to get any help from them.

Highlighted

Hi everyone,

Thanks for posting and sharing your feedback. Our engineers are currently investigating.  Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

-Liz

PS 

Nice to see you again ecoalex, I've missed your cat pics. Smiley Happy

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Highlighted
Freshman

Thanks for the reply. I understand and will have patience, (These are interesting times!)

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

It is said there is a Chinese curse that goes "may you live in interesting times."

jjrshewmake wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I understand and will have patience, (These are interesting times!)

Highlighted
Senior

Hi Liz Smiley Happy 

Today I used Vimeo video streaming with no problem, a few videos.

I did notice I had problems with my Gmail emails accts, the 2 @gmail,com , the 3rd @Hughes.net was able to be sent. The problem seemed to be resolved after 20 minutes. The Youtube video problem remains, as many posters have mentioned. I am sure Hughes is working on this, I am patient as you know Smiley Wink

Thank You for all you do,

Happykitten.png

Highlighted
Freshman

And now Youtube videos seem to be working! Thank you engineers.