Youtube/netflix

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
midnightblue69
New Poster

Youtube/netflix

Can someone explain to me why Netflix steams great but uses a TON of data while youtube at 240 or automatic is basically unwatchable because of buffering but uses little data?? Doesn't make sense

4 REPLIES 4
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

The data usage difference probably has to do with the definition (Netflix has higher def; YouTube lower; also, a lot of YouTube videos are much smaller in size than Netflix's, so they'd use less data). The buffering may have to do with the way the streaming servers work.  

Hopefully someone else will have a better answer for you. 

GabeU

I've also experienced buffering with YouTube, even when the resolution is low.  The only reason I can surmise is that Youtube's servers are more sensitive to the combination of high latency and system congestion.  Some sites don't react well to it.  Microsoft is a great example.  I've often had downloads from Microsoft, including Windows Updates, take forever, while downloads from other sources are fine. 

As for Netflix, it can use upwards of 3GB per hour in HD, 700MB per hour in SD and 350MB per hour in LD.

@GabeU  Have you noticed streaming issues on Netflix or youtube based on TV size? We recently upgraded to a 65 and the buffering started more frequently. I tested the theroy on the the tv size by unplging the 65 and going back to the 32. There was almost zero buffering. So I called Hughes and they walked me through setting a QOS rule wich allowed me to set the Firestick with the 65in as a priority. This pretty much corrected the streaming issues. We also power down all the devices that are not in use and it our streaming becomes enjoyable even in FAP. 

GabeU

@Robp1 

I've only ever watched YouTube on my computer, and always using the same monitor.  I also normally watched in the default size rather than full screen.  I do believe that YouTube uses adaptive streaming, though I don't know whether it's different when watching it via Fire Stick.   

That's good that the QOS feature improved the experience.  You don't often see that feature discussed, so this is a good example of how it can help in specific situations.