Youtube question

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CWM030
Sophomore

Youtube question

I am a new customer to HN... As of this week to be exact. 

I am just wondering if anyone is having problems with Youtube buffering every few seconds and defaulting to 144 for the picture quality?

I have a clear line of sight nothing blocking the view on the side of my house. ]

My account came with data saver turned off. 

Thanks,

Chris

14 REPLIES 14
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

The Video Data Saver is turned on by default -- are you sure it's turned off? Where are you checking?

The problem is likely caused by congestion. 

Interesting.. I have no touched anyting under HN my account and it was turned off for me. I just flipped it to the on position. 

Screenshot at 2020-11-15 08-44-23.png

I flipped on the VDS and went to youtube and tried to watch a video and the video defaulted to 144. I bumped it up to 360 and play and buffer play and buffer. I guess I just have to get use to it being that way. 

maratsade

The Video Data Saver helps save data when playing videos by downgrading the resolution. Since you're having issues with it on or off ,the cause is very likely congestion. This can't be helped, because satellite internet has limited capacity which must be shared with other subscribers, and it doesn't take many people performing data intensive activities (such as streaming) to lower the quality for everyone.  The only way that satellite internet ISPs can increase capacity is  by launching a bigger satellite. This is expensive and takes time. HN will be launching a new, higher capacity satellite in 2021 or 22.  Even so, the capacity is far more limited than anything terrestrial (such as cable, fiber, DSL, etc.). 

Other things that can contribute to congestion:

• Several people in your household connected to the wifi at the same time. 
  • Several devices in your network connected to wifi at the same time. 
  • Distance from the modem. 

I just wonder if having a long ethernet cable could be apart of my problem? I am not sure how long it is.. Its very long maybe 30 feet? 

I cannot use a short cord because the installer only gave me 15 feet of coax cable and its not enough to set the modem up on the table I have the tower sitting on. 

Could that be an issue?

Thanks,

Chris

maratsade

I doubt that's the issue.  Have you tried connecting via wifi to see if the experience is better?

Unfortantly, this desktop computer doesnt have wifi.. 

But whats funny is Videos play fine on my cellphone connected to HN.

maratsade

Well, that's interesting, that the videos play well on your phone but not your PC.  I would say that's a clue!

CWM030 wrote:

maratsade

Does your PC have a USB port?

EDIT: Also, what operating system does your PC have? 

Yes about 6 USB ports

Open Suse 15.1 Leap MATE desktop.

I havent ran Windows in over 2 years. 

maratsade

I wonder if you could use a USB wifi adapter. Many work with Linux, and they're not expensive. Not sure what sort of hardware you have to have for it to work, though, but I'm hoping someone here will chime in with some info. 

GabeU

@CWM030 wrote:

Though I'm not positive of this, I believe YouTube uses adaptive streaming technologies, which means your phone would likely require less bandwidth than your computer to stream a particular video, even when the particular video is set to the same resolution for both devices.

GabeU

@CWM030 

The VDS should be on by default.  If the switch is green, it's on.

Interesting.. It was off for me by default. I have not touched anything under the HN settings. I just flipped it to on. 

Screenshot at 2020-11-15 08-44-23.png