"5.7.1 Message has been rejected due to suspected spam content"

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ozone
Freshman

Hi all. New to this community, but long time Hughesnet user.

About 3 days ago, I started getting this error message whenever I try to send an email, no matter who the recipient is:

Nothing has changed on my end. I am using Thunderbird email client. This happens even if I am relpying to an email I received. I have contacted Tech Support several times and spent many hours on this so far with no luck.

Things I have learned so far:

-It only seems to be an issue when I use an email client.

-I can send an email if I log onto Hughes webmail.

-I can send an email through my android phone over the cell system

-I have tried 4 different email clients on 5 different computers and all give me some version of the same error.

-I know the email is being transmitted to and received by Hughes because if I attach a large file, I can watch the progress meter.

-After the message is received at Hughes, it is bounced back with said error message.

-No one at Hughes has been willing to help me so far.

I have never had this issue until 3 days ago. There are only a few things that can be changed on ay of the email clients with regard to SMTP server settings, and I have tried them all. The tech support people I have talked to are all blaming the email client, but I can't believe that all the various email clients I have downloaded and tried have problems that will not let them send email to Hughesnet, especially since it was working fine for the last 15 years until 3 days ago.

I see there was one other post recently regarding the same error message and a moderator named "Remy" was able to fix his problem, but the fix was not posted.

If Remy, or anyone else out there has an idea how to fix this issue, I would really appreciate it!

Thanx!

10 REPLIES 10
Remy

ozone,

I see it's your first post. Welcome to the Community! We need a bit more information before we can help out further here. Please send your account number or a phone number tied to the account to this link, and we can take a better look into this!

Thanks,

Remy

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I found someone experiencing a similar issue with Thunderbird, though with a different ISP.  Interesting.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1293168

Hi GabeU,

Thanx for that link, I had not seen that thread yet. This is exactly what is happening in my situation. Every time I talk to a Hughes tech support person, they say that because it works using their webmail, that there is no problem with their server, and the problem must be on my end. When I tell them it happens with every email client I have tried, they just blow it off and say its not their problem.

I am hoping that Remy can get to the bottom of this issue as I'm sure there are others out there struggling with this.

GabeU

@ozone wrote:

I am hoping that Remy can get to the bottom of this issue as I'm sure there are others out there struggling with this.

Me too.

On a side note, it may be a good idea for you to get an email account at something like Gmail, Yahoomail or Outlook, if you don't already.  If/when you leave HughesNet, you'll lose access to your HughesNet email after 30 days, and you never do with those others, being able to "take them with you" no matter what ISP you have.  As well, though I've not heard anything to indicate that it's going to happen with HughesNet, ISPs are progressively shedding themselves of the email service they offer along with their internet service.  So many people nowadays have one of those mentioned emails, or something like them, so an ISP needing to provide an email is becoming less and less.  And this is not meant as an offense to HughesNet, nor any other ISP, but those mentioned emails tend to be more reliable and more adaptable than ISP based offerings.  

It's just something to think about, but in the meantime I hope your current problem can be resolved soon.  🙂 

Hi GabeU,

Yes, I have gotten a Gmail, but all my online accounts use the hughesnet address and it will be a pain to update them all. I'll have to bite the bullet one day and make the change I guess.

The good news is that Remy escalated my problem to some tech people who have fixed the problem, and as of today, its working again as normal.

Thanx Remy, GabeU and the Tech staff for your help!

GabeU

@ozone 

That's good news.  I'm glad it's been fixed.  🙂

Geoffrey Leach
Sophomore

Same problem here. Two systems, both using claws-mail on linux. System A is cabled to a modem, mail accepted by hughes.net. System B connected to the same modem, but by wireless. Problem occurred in the last couple of days. No change to local software.

Hi Geoffrey,

In my case the reason given was: "The account was flagged for spam incorrectly! ". Why it behaves differently using different access routes, I don't know. My guess is there is some batch software running that sweeps up emails and flags them in various ways and using criteria that makes some benign emails look like spam.

Remy was able to get to the bottom of it and have the flag removed in my case. This may work for your account as well.

Thanks for the reply. The problem mysteriously disappeared, so all is well (for now). If anyone from Hugses is listening, it would be nice, in cases like this, to have specifis of the repair posted.

Hi Geoffrey,

Glad to hear its working again. I agree that posting the details of the problem and the fix would be helpful for all those who are experiencing this issue so they can communicate with tech support more effectively.