any opinions on hughesnet voice?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rgb130

any opinions on hughesnet voice?

Hi,

I am looking for some user opinions on Hughesnet Voice. The community seems to have mixed opinions. I can accept things like rain fade and minor outages, but this post, which suggests high latency (delay) is disconcerting. Has anyone else had this problem? It's kind of a deal breaker for me.

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/problems-with-the-voice-phone-system

- Ryan
14 REPLIES 14
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

/Hughes Champ Off/

My honest input...  Have a good Verizon Cellular signal?  Doesn't need to be 4G or anything.  But if you have decent Verizon coverage, I would honestly recommend StraightTalk Home Phone...  Plugs into your house phone just like normal, provides backup power for a few hours should your power go out, and is fairly cheap at about $15/month.  But as I said, it requires a decent cell signal, and depends heavily on the Verizon wireless network.

How-ever if you have an $80 phone bill like we once did, and no cell signal, it wouldn't be horrible.  There is a higher latency, but, the Hughes Voice system operates on a dedicated channel seperate from the rest of the network traffic AFAIK.  Which will result in slightly lower latency.  I think it's about as low as humanly possible with satellite.  About 500-650ms or so.
rgb130

Thanks Charles, that was quick! My aim is to weigh using Hughesnet Voice as my main phone at home and for working from home, so call clarity and low latency are important.

Let me know if you think that is not possible.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I think it's possible, you just have to realize it will have a delay slightly similar to that of a cellphone (literally about a half second delay between the time you start talking and them acknowledging it, it's smaller than one would think) when talking, and that clear weather is almost a must.  You also need to have plans in the event you need to call 911 if your signal is out.
Liz

Hi rgb130,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! Good question, glad to see Charles offer his input for your consideration. Just some other info to add on: you can cancel w/o ETF within the first 30 days of getting HughesNet Voice, but you are responsible for shipping costs to return the ATA. 

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Bill, a regular poster here, uses it for his work from home job. He seems extremely pleased with it.
rgb130

Hi Liz,

Will it work with my HN7000S??

- Ryan
Liz

Hi Ryan,

The HughesNet Voice service is only available to Gen 4 subscribers.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Heh, depends.  I live in a very... difficult place for Verizon, minimal signal, pretty much useless inside.  I find the benefit being even if you have a low signal, one could buy a cable, and external outdoor antenna and place an antenna outside on the top of a house for better signal.
rgb130

What modem would I need?
Liz

Good morning Ryan,

Fortunately, you can get Gen 4 in your area! You can see the available plans by plugging in your address here: http://www.hughesnet.com/ The plans I found for your address on file would come with the HT1100 modem.

-Liz

rgb130

Thanks Bill, quick question, do you use the virtual call center calls via your satellite connection?
maryandjerry

I live on top of a mountain in Virginia and had to subscribe to satellite service for TV and had Verizon for phone service. When Verizon jacked up their rates to $70.00 for phone service, I had the phone shut off and my husband and I tried to rely on our cell phones. Living on top of a mountain, we didn't get a good signal for our cell phones. We got disgusted and decided to try the voice. It only costs us $19.99 for 3 months and $30.00 after that. The voice phone from Hughesnet works great and we just had a couple snow storms come through and the phone never went out. I highly recommend it! You can also view all your calls online and if you have somebody that you would like to block, you can also do that online. It also has an online answering machine. Hope this helps!
Sarge

curious how much taxes increase the $30 bill ?
Mordacious

Who's on the $30 bill? 😜

Hard to give you an exact figure because each state will add their own taxes and such on top of the federal crap. Figure around $7.