cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone in south central arizona with hughesnet gen4?

anyone in south central arizona with hughesnet gen4?

because i've just signed up for hughesnet, i'd like to know if there are other folks out there who are in this gen4 area, and how they like their service -- according to the coverage map, this area is the only one in this part of the southwest which is on echostar17 -- it looks like the beam covers about from phoenix, to tucson, and west to about ajo(my area) -- would love to hear from anyone in this area re:their experience -- also, if anyone has had experience dealing with the installer:"strictly digital", of tucson -- thanks, roky
9 REPLIES 9

Re: anyone in south central arizona with hughesnet gen4?

Good morning roky,

Welcome and thanks for posting! Hopefully there's someone else in your location who can offer their insight to you. If you need any other advice, we have some long time customers here who have a lot to offer.

-Liz
Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

thank you, liz -- so far, seems there is no one from southern arizona on the forum -- of course, that could be good, since people tend to post on forums when they're having a problem -- i know that in my community of about 3000, i expect that i will be the only one on hughesnet, judging by the absence of hughesnet antennas, and word of mouth -- everyone is on local dsl, which i  refuse to do, due to its slow speed, and exorbitant price -- people are dissatisfied with its service, but afraid, i think, to move to satellite(in spite of the almost monthly mail offers from hughesnet) -- if all goes well with me, i will certainly be spreading the word around town

re: the installer, he has already contacted me twice, which i think bodes well -- he even offered to do the install sooner, which i had to turn him down on, as i am still on verizon until february

You're welcome, roky. That's good to hear. Just remember the community is here if you need us, we're happy to help. Smiley Happy

-Liz
Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.
Distinguished Professor IV

roky,

One thing to keep in mind is that Hughesnet has a data cap.  While you probably have already noticed this from reading through the community or from doing your own research about Hughesnet, sometimes the transition from DSL, even slow DSL, to Hughesnet can be a little jarring.  This is especially true for those that do a lot of streaming.  Devices can be set to conserve data and lower definitions can be utilized for streaming, but it can still be a bit of a surprise, as most people on unlimited services would have no reason to know how much data their devices use.  Streaming is the thing that takes the biggest hit, so to speak.  You just can't do a whole lot of that with this service, and even less in HD. 

I'm not trying to dissuade you from signing up for the service, as a lot of people are perfectly happy with it, including myself.  I'm only giving the realities of changing to a data capped service like this.  It's always best to know what you are getting into before getting into it.   

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

gabe - we're on verizon, with a datacap of 8gb, formally 6gb, so used to the cap -- we don't stream, or we would have gone with exede, with a cap of 150gb -- i use the pale moon browser, which is a type of older firefox, not very data intensive, with adblockers, flashblock, etc. -- in fact, i do most of my browsing with image block

also, as older folks, we're up early, so will be using the 50gb bonus before 8am

like most americans, we'd probably use as much data as anyone would give us, which is why i decided against the exede 150gb -- i havn't had tv since my teens, and that much streaming of movies sounds a bit too much like cable tv, very addictive -- whenever i've gone to a motel, they have 150 channels, and not one i want to look at -- so for movies we use netflix dvd plan(and there's still nothing i want to look at!) -- my almost total use of the net is for information, research on many areas of interest

my opposition to the local dsl is a matter of principle: they have a monopoly, and are sticking it to the local community, so i'm going to give this alternative a try -- i believe i'm in an area that is lightly used by satellite, so i'm anticipating a good experience -- if not, i will pay the price of cancelling within the first 30days, and reluctantly go to the dsl(it is twice as expensive as hughesnet)

i've read many of your posts before making the decision to go with hughesnet, you've done a good job of providing a reality check for folks perhaps not too familiar with satellite internet, or even the net in general -- thanks

Ah.  When you said Verizon, I thought of Verizon DSL, not the cell phone.  So you are already used to being even MORE conservative than you would have to be with Hughesnet.  LOL. 

Regarding the price of paying to cancel within the first thirty days, make sure that your local dealer is offering this, as I don't believe the 30 day cancellation option without incurring the ETF is available when ordering it directly through Hughesnet themselves anymore, lest there be an actual problem.  It starts at $400, then becomes prorated after two or three months (I'm not exactly sure how long until it becomes prorated).  

Regarding you last paragraph, I've seen so many posts on here regarding data usage and such from people that weren't at all aware of the limitations of satellite internet when signing up, and I'm sure it can be very frustrating.  I'm glad that you have done your homework and even more glad that you are asking questions about others' experience in your area.     

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

thanks, i'll double check the fine print re: 30day cancellation -- i definitely read that, and it would cost some, but not the full 400 -- perhaps it didn't apply to my situation, i'll check

This is from the current agreement when signing up directly with Hughesnet (as in not going through a local dealer), but again, your local dealer may be offering something different.  I'm glad you are double checking. 

yes, you're right, i must have been dazed by that point of my reading -- don't think its a deal breaker, but i do have until the install date to decide(1/26)