anytime used instead of bonus bytes

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crystalg.hay
Spectator

anytime used instead of bonus bytes

I think that there is a problem with my account.  Each month it seems that I run out of data faster and faster.  I have not routinely been monitoring the usage meter because I didn't realize things could use data without my knowledge.  I did check my usage on Saturday, 4 days into my billing cycle and was shocked to see that I had already used my entire 10 gigs.  It appeared to me though that the usage occurred at 4 am.  Over the weekend I read through hours of other community posts and now realized that it was probably the direct tv receiver that used the data.  I also did the test of unhooking the router/modem overnight and did not notice any changes in data usage.  My concern is that usage at 4 am should have come from the bonus bytes not anytime.  Is there a way this could be checked?
3 REPLIES 3
Liz

Hi Crystal,

Welcome and thanks for posting. I was able to pull up your account and I can see that the majority of that massive download occurred during the Bonus Period (~8GB between 3-5AM ET).

Considering you have 22 days until the data reset, and it looks like you're still actively learning how to manage your data, I'll send you some complimentary tokens so you can unthrottle your speed. You may receive an e-mailed order confirmation for these free tokens. 

Also, during my review of your account, I see that perhaps the connection between your HughesNet modem and dish may not be secured. Please check that the coaxial cable is tightened at the modem and let me know after you've checked so I can run a new set of diagnostics.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

crystalg.hay
Spectator

So I was correct then when I looked at the usage meter and determined that bonus bytes should have been used rather than anytime?  I'm still learning, I had no idea that so many other sources could use data without my knowledge.  I checked the back of the modem, the coaxial cable seemed to be very tight but the LAN cable was loose.
What do you recommend as far as the direct tv box?  I want to be able to watch on demand tv shows occasionally, but I don't know how to stop it from downloading content without my knowledge.  Any tips??
Thank you very much!
Liz

You're welcome, Crystal! Ah, your Bonus Bytes were indeed used.

Thanks for checking on the coax for me, the diagnostics are still indicating something going on with your equipment so as a courtesy, I will send a tech to repair your site. 

Your dispatch is currently scheduled for Friday, Feb 10, 2017 between 2:00 PM-05:00 PM. Call us at 866.347.3292 and reference case #102617155 if you need to reschedule. Please let me know how the site visit goes.

As for DirecTV, the most surefire way to ensure it doesn't download without your knowledge is to disconnect the DirecTV unit from the internet when not in use. 

If you have additional questions feel free to post back.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!