cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bandwidth draining

bandwidth draining

I was up early Sunday morning and downloaded 2 audio books during bonus byte time. After that I disconnected from the internet and left my house. I was running a program that did not require internet access. I was gone 6 hours when I came back and connect back to the internet My bandwidth was down 5 GB.  

I use a router and the only thing I have besides my laptop is my Kindle Fire. Since my kindle was with me it was not accessing the internet. My router is password protected. So unless the cattle is my back yard is accessing the internet there is a problem. I live on a private road about 1/3 mile from the main blacktop road. 

My contract for Gen 4 is up in 3 months. I am going to look into DSL thru ATT again. Maybe they have extended it to my area. I really hope because I cannot keep paying $150+ a month for internet when bandwidth drains even when I am not using it. 

I have installed NetWorx and NetGuard.  I have ran Norton Power Eraser, HiJackThis, RogueKiller, TDSSKiiller, rKill, Malwarebytes, MS Security Essentials, and Malicious Software Removal Tool. Could not find anything on my computer. 

If anyone (besides HN reps) is interested in helping I am willing to try anything but I do not hold out much hope. 

It seems like the Statue Meter is using more bandwidth than anything but I do not know why. 
28 REPLIES 28

Re: bandwidth draining

maybe one of our more knowledgeable members can help you in getting your system back under control as i'm steal leaning more everyday !!! or Hughes-Net Rep    one or other will help you !!!

Thanks Charles. I know someone can help. It is Monday and everyone is busy lol. Me watching the snow melt before more comes in Wednesday Smiley Happy

Above all , stay warm, and someone will be in here shortly !!!James, you have a good day !!!
Assistant Professor

What exact time were the audio books downloaded? What time did the 5GB get used? What does the usage report at   http://customercare.myhughesnet.com/select_modem.html?
Was it deducted from the Anytime or Bonus period? What size were the audio books?
A bit more specific info would help along with a screen shot showing the usage.
Also, are you sure there wasn't something else downloading in the background while you were downloading the books? Like the Kindle getting updates?

Hi sgoshe,

Audio books were downloaded between 3-4 am central time. Size for each book was around 115 150 MB.

I finished downloading, checked email and turned the networking off. Then started to run my monthly mal-ware, virus, spyware programs, etc. I always turn networking off after updating the program.  This was between 5:30-6:00 am central time. 

the largest time was between 9 am - noon and I left for church a little after 8 am. I was not downloading anything.  I only download audio books during bonus byte time because they are so large and the download is faster. 

I think the image you want is below. If not the correct image then I will need more specific instructions. Sorry 

The Kindle updated before my reset on the 26th or 27th. Since I only turn the Kindle wi-fi on 2-3 times a month that hardly ever drains bandwidth and only during bonus byte time. But I took my Kindle with me. I always take my Kindle when I leave the house. 
Assistant Professor

All that adds up to a bit over 3GB. Are you saying 7AM-2PM time you weren't there to use it? The 3AM time-frame you say you downloaded the books doesn't show much usage at all.
Sure looks like somebody was doing something between 7AM-2PM. That how it looks anyway.

Yes that is correct. When I download during bonus byte time the statue meter hardly moves. Makes me wonder if what I download is being added during anytime bytes instead of bonus byte time.

All I know for sure is nothing and no one was home from a little after 8 am until round 3:00 or 3:30 I can't remember the exact time I got home because I stopped at my parents house before arriving at my house. I know I pulled into my driveway (shared with my parents) around 2:30. I know my parents are not using my data they are over 2000 feet from me and they have DSL thru ATT. 
Assistant Professor

Well, I don't know what to think anymore when it comes to these situations.
If you visit the other satellite internet provider there are similar complaints.
I admit, I'm at a loss here.
Only other possibility might be your router doing it. What make/model?
You could unplug the LAN cable to the modem when not in use.