Hughesnet Community

brand new customer, getting less than 10mbs download speed, please help or I'll cancel

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
timandjodi
Sophomore

brand new customer, getting less than 10mbs download speed, please help or I'll cancel

Just got hooked up 8 hrs ago, since then speeds have been all over the map, depending on what speed test I was using.  

most have been under 10 (let alone 25) according to the hughesnet test.  

I can adapt to the latency but I cannot accept less than half the advertised speed on a regular basis.  

I read these boards before getting the install and it seems Liz is the one that can fix things?

Advice?

Thanks, 

Tim

18 REPLIES 18
timandjodi
Sophomore

Sorry should have said, but I think obviously....

Gen 5, on the new satelitte, and the 50Gb plan..

Thanks. 

Tim

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@timandjodi

In order to address speed issues, some speed tests will need to be run at testmy.net.  If you do not already have an account there, you should create one, and make sure to run the tests while signed into that account so that they can be saved in a central location and be looked at in that single location.  Running the tests while not signed in doesn't allow this, and makes it much more difficult to see the speeds as a whole and get an idea of what's going on.  

The additional protocol for the speed tests is listed in the following macro...

To help the Hughesnet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, you should create a testmy.net account and perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day. Then share the account results link with us here.

Please keep in mind that Hughesnet will only accept testmy.net and the official Hughesnet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY if on Gen5 Service Plan

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

Thanks, will do.

Did a few tests there with no account and same results of <10 download speeds. 

Do the test with a LAN cable?  Haha...my computer doesnt even have one of those any more...

GabeU

The normal procedure of peforming the tests with a direct connection with a LAN cable is to eliminate where the problem could lie, that being the router.  

Without that ability, that can't be done.  Perhaps someone will have other ideas. 

You can still run the tests with WiFi, though.  

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Wifi isn't prefered because there are too many potential variables that would impact your speeds...

I rather have a wired 1Gbit NIC than wifi any day.

Thanks guys.  I'll update this again and see how it goes.  But after about 10pm Pacific time lastnight my speeds suddenly went way up.  As of this morning at 8:30am they are still up and testing at 40+.  

Also, my data did indeed reset over night so that is working correctly.

So did something change or does speed really drop that drastically in the afternoon/early evening?

If so thats a bit disconcerning for the future as more people sign on to Gen 5...

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Speeds shouldn't be dropping much below 25Mbps for any Gen5 customers right now during "peak hours" as there isn't enough load... However there are a few isolated cases that are known where users are having issues with bandwidth.

Well damnit.  Things were looking good most of the day, other than a couple slow tests around 5pm, but they rebounded shortly.  Then later in the evening the download speed went back into the crapper, bottoming out at 1.88 and a recent max of 7.38.  

This is on the hughesnet wifi router, my laptop is the only device connected to the network, and nothing else was being done during the time of the tests.

Obviously earlier getting 30 and 40+ speeds was great and very happy with that, I'd be happy with the advertised 25, or even 20.

But low single digits is fairly unusable.  

If someone from hughes can help me get this fixed I'd appreciate it.

Thought I attached the link...

http://testmy.net/quickstats/timandjodi

That is really sad to hear. I am a new customer as well getting really slow speeds. Right now I'm going thru the motions with all these test and troubleshooting actions and nothing has worked. Do you happen to know if there is a way of cancelling without have to pay the $400 penalty? Seems like the only way would have been to cancel prior to install. But it's not until they install that you find out the service sucks.
GabeU

@Inesq wrote:
That is really sad to hear. I am a new customer as well getting really slow speeds. Right now I'm going thru the motions with all these test and troubleshooting actions and nothing has worked. Do you happen to know if there is a way of cancelling without have to pay the $400 penalty? Seems like the only way would have been to cancel prior to install. But it's not until they install that you find out the service sucks.

Troubleshooting doesn't fix the problem.  Troubleshooting helps to determine what the problem is.  The tests not only verify the problem, but can also point to the cause.  To determine the problem and try to fix it takes a little time.  This isn't an instant fix site.  You posted for the first time less than 24 hours ago.  Please perform the steps asked on your original thread.  

Well I'll ignore the rants...

I'm trying to be happy with this service, and would be if my speeds were consistent and within reason of the advertised speed.  I've yet to hear from an admin on how to go about getting this resolved.  Would love some help and will give them a chance, but if it comes down to it I will cancel as well as I do have other options, and they can take the termination fee and go shove it.  But anyways, I'm trying to be reasonable and patient here....

I was home today and able to log multiple tests per hour, throughtout most of the day.  Most of the afternoon and morning, speeds were again great, streamed some HD Amazon Video shows to try that out and it worked great.   Sadly, now that it's just past 6pm, again I'm getting consistent speeds of ~4-10Mbs download, like clockwork.  

Hard to see how this could be some kind of hardware problem or any problem on my end that can be fixed, but waiting for an answer.

-Tim

GabeU

@timandjodi

The admins will respond.  Sometimes it takes a little while.  Theyr'e a busy bunch, doing a lot more than just monitoring the Community.  

I'll tag the admins so they'll be sure to see your thread.

@Liz @Amanda @Aedan

Good morning timandjodi,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting and providing speed tests. I've run diagnostics on your site, and the equipment appears to be working normally despite your speed test results. I'll escalate your case up to engineering. I'll post back once I have any news or questions for you.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Thanks Liz I appreciate you looking into it.

And it does seem to be working correctly to me as well, as long as it's not during the busy hours 🙂

-Tim

Hi Admins, 

I have not heard anything more on this at all.  Any updates? Help?

Thanks, 

Tim

Good morning Tim,

No significant updates from engineering. I'll let you know once I do have news to share. In the meantime, please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU

@r3wt wrote:

The folks in this forum will basically lie and **bleep** you around, ask you to provide speed tests, and all this other stuff, and make no mistake, there is basically nothing they can do to change it.

They'll try to use crafty rhetoric to finagle their way out of it, but basically yes, they have lied in a way that is currently legal for them to do, because we live in a country ran by corporations.

Though I am not a rep, nor do I work for Hughesnet, I can tell you that dissuading someone from performing the steps needed to determine the cause of the issue they are having absolutely WILL NOT BE TOLERATED on this Community.

This is a support site, not a rant site, nor a site to stop others from receiving help.