cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can I limit download size?

Highlighted
New Poster

can I limit download size?

I work from home.  My computer is provided by my company.  Admin settings have windows updates download automatically.  I can't change those settings.  On days when a large update occurs, I use a huge amount of data usage.  Normal updates in this day and age account for over 1/2 of our allowable gigs.  

Can I limit the size of a download in the router settings?  Or maybe on each computer?  running windows 10.  

Now that I've finally found where all my data is going, I can't find a way to stop it.  

3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: can I limit download size?

@perseid 

In Windows 10, you can go into your Network & Internet category in Settings and there is a Data Limit section, but it's limited in it's scope (no pun intended).  

You can also set your Windows 10 computer as a "Metered Connection", which can help reduce the amount of data used, as well as limit the types of updates you get.  The method varies, depending on whether the computer is connected via WiFi or Ethernet cable.

For WiFi, see the following...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028458/windows-metered-connections-in-windows-10

For an Ethernet cable connection, in Network & Internet, click on Ethernet, then click on the particular Network (it may just say Network).  The option to set the connection as metered will be about halfway down the page.  

If it's Windows 10 Pro, you may be able to control your updates more thoroughly, though your company may have limited this feature.  It also may not be recommended, especially if you need to keep it up to date.  You can see how to do it here...

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop-updates-installing-automatically-windows-10

Make sure to scroll down and look at "Limiting Updates", as you want to be able to control them, not disable them.  I use option 2 (Notify for download and auto install), so I can choose when to download and install.  Again, this option will only be there if you have Windows 10 Pro.  If it's Windows 010 Home, this won't work for you.

There may be 3rd party routers that allow you to limit the amount of data used, but they aren't going to be cheap.  The HughesNet equipment itself does not have any of these options.  

BTW, I have three Windows computers.  Two Windows 10 Pro and one Windows 8.1 Home.  With the exception of the Windows 10 version updates, which happen every six months or so, the updates all three require each month don't collectively amount to more than 1GB to 1.5GB.  I don't have Office, so I can't speak for updates for that, but your Windows 10 updates shouldn't be so significant that they're using half of your data.  Even if it's a month that includes a version update, it still shouldn't be using half of your data.  

It's likely that the best thing you're going to be able to do is set the computer to a Metered Connection, which will hopefully help limit the amount of data used for updates.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
New Poster

That was all very good info and easy to follow.  The data usage-data limit was accessible but all that does is shut me down if I go over a set limit.  It doesnt prevent the download itself. Unfortunately, each other option was not configurable by me because of admin control.  I don't have access to set as metered or to limit updates to notify me first.  I even tried the registry edit approach with no luck.  Without the ability to limit downloads via the router, I am at the mercy of microsoft updates.

Currently, I am working with data tokens for the rest of my data period and while usually 5 gig should be enough to get me through the rest of the month. When I saw yesterday that an update gobbled up 1G, I was bummed. 

Tags (1)
Assistant Professor

You might want to call your IT department and let them know that their locked computer is costing you money. As a result, you are forced to start sending them expense vouchers for the internet usage expenses if they don't unlock that thing or switch it to metered themseves, pronto.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.