Hughesnet Community

can't access Treasury Direct

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xxx

can't access Treasury Direct

I get a "secure connection failed" error when trying to access www.treasurydirect.gov from the latest version of Firefox.  Similar message when I use Chrome and Safari.  Tried deleting browsing history and cache, still did not work.  Called Treasury Direct customer service, they insisted that the problem is with my ISP, HughesNet.  Skeptical, I went to a coffee shop with a different ISP and was able to access the Treasury Direct site with no problems. 

What do I need to do to be able to access treasurydirect.gov without going to the coffee shop first?  Thanks.

31 REPLIES 31
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Have you tried disabling Web Acceleration?  I can access it just fine with WAS disabled.

Please follow the directions below to disable Web-Acceleration.

1: Visit http://192.168.0.1 in your web-browser.
2: Click the "i" icon at the top of the HT1100/2000w System Control Center (also known as the SCC).  It is highlighted in red in the image below.
photo skUivVb.png

3: Click on "Web Acceleration" then "Control" outlined in red.
photo jnchLQt.png

4: Click on "Web Acceleration Enabled", this will change to an orange button that says "Web Acceleration Disabled".
photo mQGk0j9

5: Restart your browser and try using the service that isn't working, please let us know how that works for you.

When I reported this problem in December I could sometimes get at the site but then not being able to do anything there. When I tried to pulled up the page to login I got the same error about not being able to connect. Just reacing the site may not prove things are working.  I reboted the modem and then go to the site once and then could not do anything. 

I have tried this with no success.

Didn't work for me.  I am able to log in when using a computer at a different location.  

Amanda

Hello xxx,

Welcome to our community and thank you for your post. I see that this issue came up at the end of last year also, but seems to have fixed itself eventually. I will reach out to our network engineers to find out more. For now, @C0RR0SIVE's steps are a good workaround.

see here: This site can’t be reached The connection was reset error message.

Thank you,

I am having the same issue....cannot access Treasury Direct.  I went through the steps mentioned above by CORROSIVE, but no luck.  Any other suggestions?  I've been trying to access since 4/1/18 without success.  This same problem crops up from time to time but is normally resolved within a couple of days....do I need to go to a different provider in order to access my account?  Thanks for any help!

The work around didn't work for me.  I had this same problem in December when trying to buy bonds.  I can log in with no problems when I use a different internet service provider.  Please fix.

Amanda

Hi everyone,

Our engineers were able to reproduce this issue and are currently working to find the root cause so it can be fixed. in the meantime, to access the website, C0RR0SIVE's instructions should be a good workaround. If it isn't working, I may be able to manually alleviate the problem on my end. @mo3, I'll be making a change today and will get back to you to see if it works. I will keep all of you updated on the progress.

Thanks,

Amanda

GW
Advanced Tutor

Interesting. I get there with one click. Web acceleration enabled.

Hi Amanda,

Any update yet on the issue of not being able to log into Treasury Direct?  This is becoming quite frustrating.

Thanks again for your help!

Mo3

Hi mo3, 

Sorry, I have not. I did try to make the adjustment on your modem but still could not get the tests to pass. Could you try to access mobile.treasurydirect.gov? Also, see if accessing an internal page, like https://www.treasurydirect.gov/RS/UN-AccountCreate.do  works. I will continue to stay with our engineers to get the latest information.

Thank you

Amanda

Hi Amanda,

No luck with either of your suggestions.  Please let me know when a fix has been found. 

Thanks!

Maureen

Hello everyone,

My apologies for the wait, I understand that this is quite frustrating. I've reached out to our engineers again this morning for an update.

Thank you,

Amanda

Hi Amanda,

I appreciate your willingness to try to help those of us having issues.

Please let us know ASAP as soon as a fix is found.  Just like the other users, I have encountered this problem in the past, but it is normally short-lived (a day or two).  It has been over one week now since the website has been inaccessible via HughesNet. 

Thanks!

Mo3

GW
Advanced Tutor

@Amandawrote:

Hi mo3, 

Sorry, I have not. I did try to make the adjustment on your modem but still could not get the tests to pass. Could you try to access mobile.treasurydirect.gov? Also, see if accessing an internal page, like https://www.treasurydirect.gov/RS/UN-AccountCreate.do  works. I will continue to stay with our engineers to get the latest information.

Thank you

Amanda

It's no help to the people with the problem but be advised both of these links work well for me.

I am having the same issue. However, none of the proposed here solutions worked for me.

The solution that I found is to connect my computer, specifically my laptop (haven't yet tried my desktop) to my cell phone's hot spot, rather than to HughesNet. Then, the Treasury Direct website was perfectly accesible. 

Please fix the issue ASAP. 

Thank you.

I needed to use treasurydirect.gov and also could not get at it even after disabling web acceleration. I will need the money so hope this can get fixed. ⚠️

That worked for me.  Thank you very much!  Nothing like not being able to access your tax forms when you have procrastinated preparing your taxes!

@ZPHugheswrote:

I am having the same issue. However, none of the proposed here solutions worked for me.

The solution that I found is to connect my computer, specifically my laptop (haven't yet tried my desktop) to my cell phone's hot spot, rather than to HughesNet. Then, the Treasury Direct website was perfectly accesible. 

Please fix the issue ASAP. 

Thank you.

This is the post I was referring to that allowed me to access Treasury Direct.  And, I used it on my desktop.

Amanda

Hello everyone,

Our engineers did pinpoint the root cause, however the upcoming fix may take some time to be complete. In the meantime you should be able to access the website by temporarily disabling IPv6 on your device. Depending on the device you are using the instructions will vary. Please post here if you need instructions for a specific platform or operating system.

Thank you,

Amanda