can't connect to gmail or att email accounts

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
knotreel
Freshman

can't connect to gmail or att email accounts

about two weeks ago I started getting smtp "timed out" when sending gmail. About a week ago I could not connect to my att mail aand then my gmail addresses. I have reset all those acconts tryine std. server settings for them, both imap and pop. Then I finally was able to get a gmail to setup and even send and recieve by bypassing my router and putting the cat5 into the hughes net "modem". Now, today the two gmails don't work and won't connect to the server even bypassing the router. this is common to both my desk tops, both running win7. During this time there have been no win7 updates but there have been a few Microsoft Security Essentials updates. I am wondering if there could be something wrong with my Hughesnet connection, since that is common to all the bad stuff that has happened. ( except the router which not doesnot seem a suspect. Since this started I have never been able to reconnect via my email clients (thunderbird and outlook 2007) but can connect to all the accounts via the web.This did prompt me to finally set up my hughes.net email which works fine all the time. I Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Good morning knotreel,

Glad to hear it. Thank you for letting us know, I've informed the engineers. Feel free to drop by the community again if you have additional questions.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@wlfuller wrote:

My Windows XP and Vista (yes I am still using these operating systems) have not updated in years.

My XP and Vista are fully secured with or without Microsoft's updates.

Wrong.  Your two OS's probably have more holes than a sieve.    

Good morning knotreel,

Glad to hear it. Thank you for letting us know, I've informed the engineers. Feel free to drop by the community again if you have additional questions.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hi folks,

Are you now able to access your e-mail like before? Or does the issue persist? Please let me know so I can let our engineers know.

no, my gmail is still not connectiing

Hi everyone, 

Seems like our engineers tried something to resolve your concerns. Please let me know if you're able to access e-mail now so I can give our engineers your feedback.

yes it appears to be fixed. gmail working , thanks for fixing this, it was driveing me crazy.

The issue is unlikely to be connected to Windows. In my house we all use Apple products. Gmail stopped receiving mail on June 20 on Macbooks, iPhones, and iPads. We had guests yesterday and they had the same problem. We are able to send gmail but not receive it. 

On June 20 our internet stopped working and was out until we rebooted the modem. We've rebooted once since then. No difference.

I should clarify that we can't receive gmail through the Apple Mail client. We can do so at gmail.com or using the gmail app. 

Hi knotreel,

Thanks for the update, I will let the engineers know.

My Outlook has stopped workig to send or receive GMail! No help so far!Worked fine for years now nothing!!

Good morning RG,

Welcome to the community and thanks for letting us know. Our engineers are currently investigating and have already contacted Google's engineers to address this. Once I have any additional updates to share, I will post back.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

RG
Sophomore

Went to Gmail and disabled imap they say you cannot use both at the same time. Back to Outlook and ran repair,NO ERRORS this time Started to receive emails so Hughes must have done something. You can have an Higher Tech call me and i can tell him what my settings are in Account mode. My brain is fried trying every combination,Your regular tech was no help other than confuse me being 70 yrs old. If Hughes fixed the problem working with Gmail Thanks.