cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

checked data usage again and not possible...the BBB needs to hear about this!!!

Highlighted

Re: checked data usage again and not possible...the BBB needs to hear about this!!!

Amanda:

I have been hosting Web sites and offering associated e-mail services since 1996. Trust me: e-mail is not a reliable means of communication. First of all, you have no proof that your customer received the e-mail much less read it. You would be astonished at the number of  people who have absolutely no idea what e-mail is, what to do with it. I have had clients whose e-mail inbox has grown to 5 MB and when I contacted them about it, I got the "What's e-mail?" I strongly agree with jezra. 

Re: checked data usage again and not possible...the BBB needs to hear about this!!!

Hi Knerkin & jezra

I would argue with you all day long how the people in marketing department survey, research and establish best ways to communicate with our own customers, however there is no time. We brought the issue up, the suggestions and the e-mail is what we got in response to your suggestions. Again, this complaint is not unlike performance you may see elsewhere in the community - it affects a small margin of people just like everything else. I'm very sorry we could not make you happy with that solution.

Amanda
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

Knerkin,

I agree ..... to a point .....

Hughes could/should have a PDF handout but ... the customer still has to read it AND comprehend the contents.

I really like Alan's approach BUT not all installers are created equal.

I suppose that Hughes could mandate that installers pass on information  but ... not all installers are created equal.

Very seldom will you find a consumer that will "read the manual", then they have to understand it and I'm starting to believe that comprehension is a Lost Art.

I started buying brand new vehicles in 1975 ... no Internet then but word of mouth carried a lot of weight .... if you could filter out the "stupid".

Today we have the Internet as a research tool ... and yes, we still have to filter out the "stupid" but there are enough comments out there on the 'Net that even the most cursory of Google (or search engine of choice) searches will offer up avenues of investigation.

To this day, I NEVER make an automotive purchase (or anything with a price of more than a dollar two ninety eight) without doing research.

Highlighted
Alum

Hi sethbrown,

Please create a new post with details so we can better assist you.

Thanks,
Chris
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Even if they had the installers give ten minute seminars on the first twenty days of resets, what a finite amount of data means and how to monitor the amount of data used, and even had them sign off that they understood all of this, there would STILL be people that would run out of data and not understand why. 

The emails help some.  Flyers would help some.  A "Welcome to Hughesnet" introductory booklet would help some, but it would still happen. 

For me, the minute I hear there is a limit or finite amount of anything I'm on it like a hawk.  From the very first day I had Hughesnet I watched my data and there has never been a day when I didn't know I was going to hit the wall before I did.  From day one.  Nearly twelve years.    

Again, though, no matter how much explanation there is, it will still happen.  People will still run out of data and be surprised they did. 

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted

jerza,

True, very true. 

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Jezra, there are some pretty angry cable customers out there also, is what makes them even consider satellite in the first place. Would think they'd do a bit of research first though, never mind what a sales agent says over the phone.
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Nice "jerza" you're wearing!
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

The bytes are always greener on the other ISP

Not always. For the last year I have been able to get Frontier DSL with "up to" speeds of 24 Mbps, no data caps all for a mere $39.99 per month and a whole bunch of taxes.

The reality is that my land line is "scratchy" and gets worse after a hard rain.

My Hughesnet just works.

Highlighted

Wait!  Someone who is cognizant of the differences for their individual location and makes an informed decision?  No way!  It can't be!