cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

checked data usage again and not possible...the BBB needs to hear about this!!!

Highlighted

checked data usage again and not possible...the BBB needs to hear about this!!!

have called so many time about my usage and they keep saying nothing is wrong... yea rite... this needs to be out in public so the other hard working people dont get duped... some one is raking in the money without delivering... BBB is needed to be notifies... I have had this problem every month.. tired of it..thats a lot of money with no data
31 REPLIES 31
Highlighted
Alum

Re: checked data usage again and not possible...the BBB needs to hear about this!!!

Hi loriesworthy,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I checked your account and see what you are referencing. Most of your calls in for support seem to be due to data depletion. Having a data limit does take some getting used to. Good thing is, we have some tips in helping you conserve data and get rid of data leaks. Whether you are watching videos or just browsing, there are many factors that could affect how fast data is used on your network.

First thing I would do is use a browser like Google Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Or Safari. These browsers offer useful extensions like ad blockers that will help you in using less data, and have a smoother browsing experience in general. This extension is from Chrome that I use myself:

Second take note that many more devices are capable of connecting to the internet: phones, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, and even refrigerators can connect wirelessly to the internet. Keep track of what devices you leave running on Wi-Fi.

Do you have Windows 10? Your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time. You can also set automatic windows updates to run only during the bonus period if you have windows 7 or below. Win 8/8.1 and Win10 will allow some control of this mainly with its metered connection settings however here is a more in depth way to help you with Win10 data management. Take a look here:

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/monitor-your-data-usage-in-windows-10/

For streaming lovers and multimedia content: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that may start playing as soon as you land on the site. So much content, so easily available almost everywhere on the internet. For starters, try disabling auto-play video on Facebook:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how_to_disable_autoplay_videos_on_facebook

or adjusting your Netflix playback quality to low/SD: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

- more data sources can be found here, as posted by a fellow community member: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

The most important tool to download is the Status Meter, available in the Customer Support Center, to help you monitor your data usage: supportcenter.myhughesnet.com

If you feel that their is a problem with your equipment or that it is something on our end causing this unidentified data usage please follow these directions:

Your cooperation and patience are greatly appreciated. I hope all of this helps. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you,

Chris
Highlighted

Re: checked data usage again and not possible...the BBB needs to hear about this!!!

I know.  I have had Hughes Net for 3 months and all of a sudden I get these 10GB spikes of download. I have no idea what is going on.  I have checked all of my devices and the data just disappears.  The help desk is more he useless as all they say is it is you and not us.  This is a total crock and I wish I never got involved with this company.  The make it worse I got the largest package and I still have to ban my kids from streaming anything.  I am glad I got ATT phones with DirecTV so they get watch what they want on their phones.

I am social mediating all the time how horrible this company is and I have so far saved 6 people from this mistake.  My goal is to save over 200 before I end my service when my plan expires.
Highlighted
New Poster

I have been a hughesnet customer since 2011 and have honestly never had a problem until recently. For the past 2 months my data is depleted before the month is half over. My husband and I are the only 2 who use it.We do not have the internet connected to our tv and we do not watch videos online or do activties online that require a lot of data. We used to always have data left over at the end of each month until 2 months go. Now despite us not changing our internet usage habits and watching our internet usage very carefully it just gets depleted for no reason. We only use the internet to check emails,check facebook and maybe google something so I KNOW we are not using this data and hughesnet is robbing us of it. Its funny how we never had this issue until 2 months ago and I have had to pay for extra data to make it to the end of the month. Hughesnet customer service was of no help. I am looking for another internet provider but because we live so far out in the country that is proving very difficult.If you can switch do it!!
Highlighted

I wish you would have saved me :/
Highlighted

This was my second month with Hughes Net. Last month we streamed Netflix, Hulu and Youtube along with checking Facebook and other social media regularly. Doing all of this I think we used maybe half of our data, so at first I was pleased, even though the internet was kind of slower than what we were used to. This month, however, was a completely different story. In the first week of the month we had not streamed hardly anything other than a couple episodes on Netflix. After about a week (give or take) I was curious so checked our data usage and it said we had already used half of our data. I checked the usage and noticed the spikes were for the most part right when we got home for about 30 minutes, which is when we would check Facebook. From this point on I was curious how this could happen so I paid closer attention and stopped streaming all video. One particular time I somehow managed to use 500MB by playing on the Facebook app for 30 minutes. That should not be possible considering no video was streamed. It is only me and my wife in our house and we manged to use all our data in the first two weeks. I will not buy more data for the rest of the month, because I simply will not pay this company the more money that they seek. THEY DO NOT DESERVE IT! Unfortunately they locked us in for 2 years I believe. From reading all the problems other people are having and no good reviews, I realized we made a horrible mistake and will be counting down the months until we can drop this company.
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

For the first ten or twenty days of service, depending on you plan and modem, your data resets daily, so it's more or less unlimited for those days.  This would explain why your first month went so well.  

You should check your usage daily, or even more often. 

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Richard,

This may help...

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/wheres-my-bytes-how-to-test-for-data-leaks

Following the steps could help you to find out where your data is going.

Hughesnet is not amenable to constant streaming, but it can be done within reason. 

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted

jezra,

We have been sending out e-mails to customers when they order service that explains the relaxed download period and only that....
Highlighted

hi jezra

I'd agree but this email is sent before the installation is done. There is no argument if you don't read the e-mail we're telling you we're sending. But if you do listen and read it, but you don't like it, you can cancel and get your money back. We did make the suggestions and the e-mail is the answer.

Early Termination: Lease Option If you cancel your order before installation, you will be refunded the amount that was collected at time of order. 

Amanda