cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

community based internet service

community based internet service

Frustrated with slow internet service and frequent outages? A rural community in Washington state was—enough so that residents decided to take matters into their owns hands. A group of neighbors on Orcas Island, part of the San Juan Islands, rebelled against local internet service provider CenturyLink in 2013 after experiencing regular outages, they built their own service instead—a “community-owned” wireless network it now services about 50 homes. The service currently costs $75 a month with no cap on usage,
9 REPLIES 9
Sophomore

Re: community based internet service

My town did the same, it was a disaster, a lot of money wasted. This is why I'm on HN now.

I hope that community in WA does a better job than what happened here.

Source, I'm guessing: http://qz.com/540225/fed-up-with-years-of-bad-internet-service-a-small-community-of-islanders-built-...

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Assistant Professor

The expense in a mountainous area with low population density like where I live would make it way too expensive. Same reason will not see cable in my lifetime.

Would take many more towers than that island.

"...after it pays back the $25,000 loan used to get the service up and running."

That's split between 50 houses. Imagine splitting between less?
Assistant Professor

Has to be line of site to tower. Deep peaks and valleys here = lots and lots of towers. Then have to have cable/fiber connections to the towers themselves.

Even if the community can go together and build a WISP I don't think they could afford to launch a Satellite.  Can you imagine a 35,000,000 dollar per month bill.

Just trying to show the difference of why a WISP may be lower price than Satellite for the folks that wonder why Satellite cost more and has a cap.
Associate Professor

Yep, the local WISP I once worked at now has ridiculous datacaps, and has been sold/traded between different rich people here that literally only care about making money.  Imagine 756Kbps on the top premium package at the tune of $90/month.  And they actually have people that pay that, and there is an included cap as well. 0.0
Assistant Professor

Grass is always greener until you get there, then find it is brown and dead. Even worse, has grubs.