Hughesnet Community

data allowance problem

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
outhere

data allowance problem

anytime data allowance before 8  3.30.2016am 5753 , now 9 am 4979 = 774 mb used in that hour.
Now see the screen capture which shows the usage for 8 am to 9 am at 12.7 BM.

Can someone explain the discrepancy that 12.7 mb of anytime usage equates  to losing 774 mb of anytime data allowance?

17 REPLIES 17
Amanda

Hi Ron

I don't see any numbers indicating 12.7MB, 774MB or 5753 - do you have those images?

Thanks
Amanda
outhere

the numbers on the graph only show up  when i have the cursor over it so when i move the cursor to use snip it the numbers go away so unless you know of a way i can capture that ( other than using my digital camera to take a photo of the monitor, scan it, then attach it, which WOULD work,  i suppose, but holy crap really dont think i should have to do that)  you will just have to take my word for it that is what it says when i look at it,
outhere

And no Amanda, i did not take a snip image yesterday that would show the anytime of 5753 at 8 am, i just wrote it down on a little piece of paper for my own use. Like i do every day. but maybe i should start taking daily snip its. which is what i would have to do, since there is no other way of looking at the remaining anytime data numbers going backward, not that I know of anyway. Do you know of something or someway to see that going backwards that I dont, please let me know, thanks,!
deepdiver1
Sophomore

For one thing you could install a free network monitor such as Glasswire or Networx to keep your hourly history.
outhere

Deep diver thanks for the tip, but for some reason im getting an error message , one that ive never seen before when i download programs, when i try to download either of those programs. But I am able to download and run other programs. Which i find interesting, but not interesting enough to try to trouble shoot it, not right now anyway.

But in the meantime, maybe Amanda will answer my question.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Are you downloading Glasswire direct from the publisher ?

https://www.glasswire.com/help/

What type of error message are you getting ?

On the hourly display, remember that it is #1, a HISTORY, a "look back over the shoulder" rather than a real-time usage meter. #2, it has recently just been "updated" and seems to have an error or two yet. See this topic:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/error-in-new-history-display

On the basis of that you really have to wonder if you can trust its output until all the bugs are worked out.

If you feel you are losing data the first step is to do the modem isolation test:

That will tell you in pretty short order if the data loss is on the Hughes end or your end.

deepdiver1
Sophomore

Note "On the hourly display, remember that it is #1, a HISTORY, " is not referring to Glasswire, it is refrring to the HughesNet History.
outhere

Hi g walk. No, i dont think im really actually losing any data. Im asking why774 mb of data was subtracted from my data allowance from 8 am to 9 am today when the usage graph, system shows i used 13 mb. So, yeah i dont trust either figure. to be perfectly honest. I was up at 6 am and updated windows, anti virus, browsers etc and it was all completed prior to 8 am but yet i have 774 deducted from my anytime allowance. I have seen and performed the above test before, and have never encountered a data loss. In fact, most days, i dont see anything wacky at all. Just at the 2nd to last day of the month in February and again, at the penultimate  day of the month, in March.

I suspect that the actual real accuracy of any of the data usage numbers that HN puts out as quite precise are in actuality very very UN-precise, and based on something other than an actual way to really measure how much internet band with I am actually really using. But i have no way of realy actually knowing that, which is why I just asked my original question. Which i suspect I'll never get an actual answer to. (I dont actually mean this to sound as bitter and sarcastic as is sounds, I just have a very strange  sense of humor. All in all I have been very happy with HN  over all, its been very reliable, reasonably fast, and customer support has improved considerably from a few years ago, )

And on the glasswire thing, yes i tried to download from the publishers site ( NOt that dreaded cNET bloatware site)

here is a snip it of the error message; have you ever seen anything like this before? I really have no clue as to how to address that.

bdvvdd12

That error is caused by not downloading the entire file, as you can see the end of the file name is ".part" meaning it did not finish downloading. Or, it downloaded an got corrupted. Do you have an anti-malware installed such as Malwarebytes?
outhere

Hi Brandon.. yes, i use AVG and Winpatrol. But i have never had them shred a download before. Beats me. I'll try it again in a few days, after  a complete system  reboot. That can fix a lot of problems sometimes.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Nope, I haven't seen that error before.

Try to do a "save as" and redirect the download to a target folder on your desktop.

As to the download times, look very carefully at the AM and PM designations in your history graph. It is useless due to the many errors:

outhere

Yes, i did see that... i just replaced PM with AM, since other wise , overall,  this graph makes sense to what my usage  pattern was actually like this am from 6 AM to 9 AM, even if the actual numbers presented are not anything really actual at all, and are more like very rough guesses. What I am really asking is why is there a 774 MB deduction from my Anytime usage from 8 am to 9 am, when the updates were all completed PRIOR to the arrival of 8 am est.. perhaps, even tho it SEEMED to me that the updates were all done prior to 8 am, maybe there was some bleed over, as the laptop that i was updating was not turned off. Next time ill make sure to to do that.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I suspect that the actual real accuracy of any of the data usage numbers that HN puts out as quite precise are in actuality very very UN-precise, and based on something other than an actual way to really measure how much internet band with I am actually really using. But i have no way of realy actually knowing that

Measuring usage on a Sat connection is not as simple as one would think.

The only way to take a stab at it is to run something like Glasswire and use it in conjunction with a before and after of the dashboards "at a glance" usage meter.

Some files you may download may be able to be compressed for transmission. As an example a file may be 50 MB in size, can be compressed to 30 MB for transmission purposes. Your usage (as measured by the "At A Glance" meter) will only be "charged" the 30 MB.

In other areas there is "command and control" data bytes that will not be charged against your usage allowance..

There is a lot "manipulation" of your data as it goes through the modem>>>sat>>>>gateway "loop".

outhere

Which is what makes these numbers that HN represents as precise facts seem very suspicious to me. Notice my bonus data allowance usaage  from 6 am to 8 am shows a whopping 3,447 MB used. The only operations i had going during that entire time was updating windows, which was 22 mb, fire fox and chrome, about 40 for FF ( Chrome did not give a file size for the update, but it sure wasn't anywhere near  3000mb.) I was not downloading movies, or streaming videos. or anything like that. And you see that the data usage has now dropped back down to what for me is a very normal and expected pattern, since as soon as i saw that HUGE  unexpected data allowance drop, i rebooted the devices and the modem.

I wonder if sometimes something may happen that triggers a false reporting of data  usage, not a constant  data leak condition, per se, but more like the HN system "thinks" I am using more than I am actually using, triggered by an update like i was doing this morning.

Great information, Gwalk, thanks  again for your always informative posts.
Amanda

Hi everyone

As Gwalk pointed out in a separate post, there is a time display issue on the usage graph. Hopefully after it is fixed this weekend the chart will line up with the usage from your Status Meter. We can take a second look at it on Monday to be sure

Thanks
Amanda
dessertrich

I'm having a similar problem in that hughesnet is telling me that my data is being used (much faster than it has been historically) and yet when I go to check my usage in MyDashboard, hughesnet tells me that the "data is not available". This has been going on for 5 days, and all the tech support people offer for a solution is that I should purchase a plan with a greater daily usage allowance. I can't seem to make any of them understand that the problem is on their end, not mine. How they can profess that I've used a certain amount of data, but they cannot even show me how much was used when, is beyond me. Get yours heads out of your asses hughesnet!
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Extremely Private,

I would suggest that you start a new topic of your own so that troubleshooting efforts can be tailored to your particular case.