data drain....cannot find the cause

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yorkytime1
New Poster

data drain....cannot find the cause

I know this is a common problem.  Suddenly I am having daily data drain.....just today over 200mb in less than two hours.  I am a legacy customer and cannot sustain this type of data loss.  I have the free versions of glasswire and networx installed but just cannot find the reason for data drain.  Please somebody help me figure this out.  I know that certain routers have been suggested in the past....but I just do not have the data available to do constant search to find the correct messages.  Can anyone help me solve this issue.  PLEASE!
52 REPLIES 52
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Hi Yorkytime,

I was going through your screenshots this morning and noticed that you have a large number of "alert flags::

That seems like a large number of changes in so short of a time period.

Also, you have a period there where the computer was "on" but with very low or no data usage but still getting alert flags.

Was the computer on and simply not being used or was it in hibernation ?

For the time period in question peek at the "Alerts" tab and see if the flags were for software changes or the more normal dns changes.

As a comparison here is mine for an entire week:

Its most likely nothing but I'm curious what all the activity is about.

yorkytime1
New Poster

I was doing come computer work during that period.....like upgrading Glasswire to the latest version.  But some things confuse me.....like why the adapter is being removed and added back?  Mostly this is me changing things in the computer.  here are some screen shots to match the period you mention.
yorkytime1
New Poster

I have one alert this morning at 9:25 when I sat down at computer.....it only says Device list changed "Device "" added"  ??
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

A couple of things that come to mind:

A change of the network adaptors driver.

or

The result of the adaptors power settings:

yorkytime1
New Poster

That's great.  My adapter is checked to allow the computer to turn off the device to save power.  This is a laptop computer.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

My laptop is 19.3" Toshiba that was marketed as a desktop replacement. With that large of display and two hard drives and a Intel I-7 processor it is so power hungry I usually have it plugged into AC so I run everything full blast.
yorkytime1
New Poster

My two are HP Pavilion with 17 or 18 inch screens.  Also have two 1 GB hard drives installed in each one.  Yes power hungry.  So I run them plugged in most of the time.  I will uncheck the box for turn off of adapter.  Desktop?  Well my laptops are more powerful and faster than hubby's desktop.  LOL
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I get a lot of flags, too, and most of mine are due to "DNS server settings changed".  On July 29th alone I had it change five times in a span of nine hours.  This is with my desktop, connected directly to the modem.  I shut down the modem every night, so I might expect it to do it every time I boot the modem, but four times in a day?  Odd.  I don't have any issues, so I never bothered to concern myself with it. 

Dave Nelson

I'm new to HughesNet and no expert, but have been told not to use Internet connection to stream Direct TV, as it will also drain off data after a connection is made and then even when not in use.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Dave,

It's not recommended.  When not streaming, and even when turned off (actually standby), your DirecTV receiver will still use the internet for some things.  The data usage varies, but can be considerable, and there's no way to control it.  

widetracker2429

I'lI admit I have had good luck so far streaming Netflix and Amazon at lower resolution using the I Pad with Netflix account setting for video quality on low (0.3 gb/hr). Although it uses more than that on some reason!