cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data drain....cannot find the cause

Highlighted
New Poster

data drain....cannot find the cause

I know this is a common problem.  Suddenly I am having daily data drain.....just today over 200mb in less than two hours.  I am a legacy customer and cannot sustain this type of data loss.  I have the free versions of glasswire and networx installed but just cannot find the reason for data drain.  Please somebody help me figure this out.  I know that certain routers have been suggested in the past....but I just do not have the data available to do constant search to find the correct messages.  Can anyone help me solve this issue.  PLEASE!
52 REPLIES 52
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

Re: data drain....cannot find the cause

Repost but applies I think:

There can be many reasons for losing data. In the end though it can only be either on the Hughes end or on the users end,

You should run a modem isolation test to see if it is on the Hughes end,

Here is the official graphic:

Follow the steps above and post screenshots of the before/after usage meter and the disconnect/connect times.

If you find that no usage occurs with all of your networked equipment disconnected we have to conclude that the usage is caused by something within your network.

While the following is a repost I think the steps apply to your situation as well:

In the event that no data was used during that period we can only conclude that "something" "somewhere" within your network is using data. It then becomes a "whodunit" and there are methods to determine that.

Divide and Conquer is the name of the game ... and it is essential.

A typical "home network" looks like this:

It is much too complicated to determine the "leak"

The Modem has access ... but we already performed an isolation test

The Router "guts" have access

Anything and everything with wireless range .. both authorize AND unauthorized devices COULD have access

Finally all wired computers have access.

During the troubleshooting phase the "network" MUST be reduced to the minimum number of variables.

It needs to have the router removed from the equation so as to look like this:

The number of variables has been brought down to a manageable level.

It now is time to download and install some software to track usage and identify what program and what process is or has been running and using data.

For this we need Glasswire:

https://www.glasswire.com/ help/

An important point here .....

GlassWire will only monitor the single computer upon which it is installed.

Later as the router is reintroduced, GlassWire will have to be installed on every Windows computer that is connected to the router

Another point to be made here is that if Windows IS the root of the issue ... it uploads/downloads sporadically .. it may take time to "catch it in the act".

So as to not "torque" the amount of usage displayed by GlassWire we need to change a couple of settings ... we don't need to count (later on when more devices are connected) "local" traffic.

Here are my suggested settings:

(click on picture for larger image)

Understanding the results:

Each computer, one by one needs to go through this process.

Once all wired computers have been "cleared" we can add the router back in to the mix with one major exception .... we have to disable the "radio" ...

We then want to test the "network" consisting of all "cleared" wired devices and the router "guts" to ensure they work well together as a whole.

Now comes the stickey part the re-introduction of the routers wireless function.

Its tough because I know of no software that will load on the variety of devices that CAN connect ... cell phone, tablet and so forth.

On laptop computers you can od course load GlassWire but that still leaves many potential avenues open.

The "Poor Mans" method requires great discipline. ALL devices other than a single one have to be and remain in a "hard off" state and that is not easy to do.

Run that single device over time and monitor usage carefully while still running Glasswire and the "difference" is ... the amount used by THAT device.

Of the devices ... Apple stuff is probably the worst ... VERY large updates on a random basis and the updates are very prone to "break" during download causing them to restart from the beginning ... massive data loss there.

It is essential that the router be properly set up !

Guest access MUST be disabled in the routers internal GUI

No "open network" :  

WPA-PSK [TKIP] encryption at the very minimu m !

Clear all devices one by one with the understanding that the usage may be sporadic.

There are higher end routers that WILL track usage by individual device but these may be out of reach (about $200) for the casual user. That is the only way to be SURE of what is going through a network.

There are a number of Routers available that with the inclusion of third party firmware will allow a user to track usage by device within the Routers interface.

That would include these Asus Routers:

Highlighted
New Poster

First I am NOT trying to blame hughesnet for the drainage.  Second I have performed nearly every test named above!  Many of the tests above cannot be performed with the legacy system....as the hughes meter does not work well with legacy customers.  So i simply refuse to go through that process yet one more time.  We have a fairly SIMPLE setup here.....NO WIRED COMPUTERS....only a wireless router and hughesnet modem.  As I speak....type data is just disappearing from my meter...has been doing this for about a week.  This laptop is the ONLY device connected to the router at this time...actually all morning.  Just so damn frustrating to not be able to find what is the program or file that is downloading data!!!!!!!!!!
Highlighted
New Poster

What would be the brand name of some of these routers?  I know the ASUS will track....but my understanding is with third party firmware.  Are there any OFF THE SHELF routers that will track all traffic through the router?  

<There are higher end routers that WILL track usage by individual device but these may be out of reach (about $200) for the casual user. That is the only way to be SURE of what is going through a network.>
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

You can skip the modem isolation test then but you can still log into your dashboard and see a data meter.

You can still follow the steps as to router settings such as encryption levels.

You can still install GlassWire on that laptop.
Highlighted
New Poster

Trying to examine all options below.......

We then want to test the "network" consisting of all "cleared" wired devices and the router "guts" to ensure they work well together as a whole.
all wired devices cleared....there are none!

Now comes the stickey part the re-introduction of the routers wireless function.

Its tough because I know of no software that will load on the variety of devices that CAN connect ... cell phone, tablet and so forth.

This is the greatest part of my frustration.....I am constantly checking phones, tablet (1) and that damn kindle hubby uses.  All are kept in off connect unless being used at that moment.

On laptop computers you can od course load GlassWire but that still leaves many potential avenues open.

for the most part GlassWire is a strange animal to me.  I cannot decipher exactly what it is telling me.  Free Glasswire installed on this laptop....not sure I want to spend the $99 for the pro version since it can only monitor at the computer or device level.

The "Poor Mans" method requires great discipline. ALL devices other than a single one have to be and remain in a "hard off" state and that is not easy to do.

yes tell me about it.....poor mans method not working well for us.....THERE ARE ONLY TWO LIVING IN THIS HOME.  Check for "hard off" state becomes tiring. 

Run that single device over time and monitor usage carefully while still running Glasswire and the "difference" is ... the amount used by THAT device.

I have been running this laptop as single device for almost a week....problem might be here but just cannot find it.

Of the devices ... Apple stuff is probably the worst ... VERY large updates on a random basis and the updates are very prone to "break" during download causing them to restart from the beginning ... massive data loss there.

no apple stuff in this house.

It is essential that the router be properly set up !

Guest access MUST be disabled in the routers internal GUI

no guest accounts allowed

No "open network" :  

NO Open network

WPA-PSK [TKIP] encryption at the very minimu m !

not sure about this.....network config says "AES".  TKIP is an option but not enabled.  ????

Clear all devices one by one with the understanding that the usage may be sporadic.

Highlighted
New Poster

ok will try to log into dashboard.  Now I'm thinking encryption might be incorrect.  I do have glasswire install....but just do not know how to read what it is telling me.....color me a dumby....i tried to use glasswire before and still don't know.
Highlighted
New Poster

I could not get a photo copy.....this is text copy of my usage meter this morning.  

Internet Usage
Your Internet usage at a glanceSmiley Tonguelan Allowance
Remaining

Anytime500 MBAnytime328 MBBonus100%Bonus100% Token ManagementDownload Allowance

65%
328.0 MB Remaining

Bonus Bytes
100%
100% Remaining

Token Bytes Available : 652 MB
There are 1 days left in your Data Allowance cycle. 
Your Data Allowance will be refilled on August 11, 2016. 
Your token bytes will automatically be utilized when your Download Allowance bucket is depleted.
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

I'm on my tablet at the moment so I don't have access to my normal stock of "stuff " but I do have a How-To write up on using Glasswire and I'll post that for you in the am.
Highlighted
New Poster

ok thanks