cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data filled yesterday & i have not really done anything & data is at 85%

data filled yesterday & i have not really done anything & data is at 85%

at this rate my data will be gone very soon I have up dates turned off but that being said when I signed up the lady asked what I would using internet for & I said streaming & we have 4 things that stream Netflix,u tube etc... she recommended the highest & best plan & told me to cut all my high def off etc to not use data she asked if this was my primary source off tv (streaming) I said yes & that this plan would meet my needs other than online gaming so I went with it.my first month data  lasted 3 weeks because of the grace period they give u (which is a trap!!! u wont back out the first week if everything is going smooth after the grace period is up u r locked in contract)my second month lasted 2 days( they lie u cant watch Netflix at a normal pace)I have satt now) ok month 3 now data was filled on the 5th & my wife has has looked at a few sights ordered a few things maybe a hour worth of time & 15% has already gone I looked at my data usage chart & nothing is realy spiked or alarming at this rate I will be out of data soon WOW
14 REPLIES 14

Re: data filled yesterday & i have not really done anything & data is at 85%

This is EXACTLY what is happening to me.  Everything you described is what I'm dealing with.

Me also, I don't know why data is going so fast at this rate it is like not having internet at all, I thought they were better than exceed but they seem about the same but cost more.

Post the results here in the forum. When you post, include your modem serial number or any recent case numbers so the reps can locate your account. 

Keep in mind there are countless factors that can use your data:- more devices are capable of connecting to the internet: phones, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, and even refrigerators can connect wirelessly to the internet. Keep track of what devices you leave running on Wi-Fi.

- automatic-updates: your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time.

- multimedia content: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that may start playing as soon as you land on the site. So much content, so easily available almost everywhere on the internet. For starters, try disabling auto-play video on Facebook:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how_to_disable_autoplay_videos_on_facebook

or adjusting your Netflix playback quality to low/standard def: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

- more data sources can be found here, as posted by a fellow community member: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

The most important tool to download is the Status Meter, available in the Customer Support Center, to help you monitor your data usage: supportcenter.myhughesnet.com

Finally, if you would like more control of your network, you should take a look into a program called Glasswire. Here's a link to its features https://www.glasswire.com/features/. When downloaded on your device it will monitor and track all activity on the machine it is installed too. Many of our community members have found it useful and we've tested it out in our lab and like what it does too. I hope all this helps you. 

http://www.hughesnet.com/learn-more/faq

Great Bandwidth Monitoring tool: 
https://www.glasswire.com

http://legal.hughesnet.com/FairAccessPolicyGen4.cfm

You may also have malware on one or more of your machines. It CAN AND WILL use data for it's own evil purposes. I would recommend scanning your computer with Malwarebytes Anti Malware. My neighbor said his internet was slow, turns out he had over 200 pieces of malware and quite a few pieces of adware. Once they were removed he stopped having issues.

Also, you may want to think about upgrading your plan if its possible. It seems the plan you are on currently is not meeting your needs
Alum

Hi CharlesNash,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting! We're sorry to hear about your experience, it can be incredibly frustrating to hit your bandwidth limit. First thing is to isolate your HughesNet modem to see if it is the culprit of your data leak. Please follow the data usage troubleshooting picture posted by Brandon and post your results. Just remember to crop out your SAN which begins with DSS from the screen captures.

He also offered many more tips in stopping unidentified data usage. Hopefully they help you as well.

Thank you,
Chris

Thanks for the info, I know its your job as an official rep, but at this rate I'm having to tend to my computer internet more than my whole family. 
Honorary Alumnus

In the end, the data can only be going "poof" in two places:

The Hughes end

Your end

The above modem isolation test is used to determine if data is being used by the modem while it is connected to the Hughes Gateway but isolated from your "network"

If no data is used during isolation then we must conclude the loss is on your end by one or more of your computers, devices or even your router itself as far as that goes.

The more complex the Network, the more potential "leaks" there are.

The presence of a Router really complicates the troubleshooting process because not only can the router itself have vulnerabilities (WPS and firmware "loops") but it is a LAN "multiplier" for the wired side but the wireless portion is of special concern.

You MUST take your Network from this:

To this:

A single computer connected directly to the Hughes Modem

Follow the LAN Disconnect procedure from Brandon's post from a week ago.

Note the times of disconnect and reconnect, get screenshots of your usage meter at those times.

If usage is noted while the LAN cable is disconnected, post that info here and the Mods will Validate the usage and disconnection period through the modems internal logs.

If no usage occurs during isolation then each device, ONE AT A TIME needs to be investigated to determine just what program or process on what computer is using the data.

One computer, connected directly to the modem ....

Download and install GlassWire on that computer:

https://www.glasswire.com/help/

Set up GlassWire in  this manner:

GlassWire can only monitor the usage used by the single computer upon which it is installed.

It can not monitor usage by the wireless part of your router hence the need to bypass the router completely during the troubleshooting phase.

Each wire computer in turn, one at a time must be checked.

Each computer should have its fully updated A/V program do a manual scan.

Each computer should have a malware scan done with the free version of Malwarebytes.

Only get Malwarebytes from the publisher ..

www.malwarebytes.org

The free version is fine.

Once all wired computers have been tested we can proceed to the more involved wireless side of the network. 

If you are unwilling to disconnect your router to troubleshoot then you might just as well live with the data loss as you will just be wasting your time without a Divide & Conquer approach.

Here is some info on interpreting the GlassWire results:

Honorary Alumnus

You really have to wonder when user posts in such a state of desperation and then drops replies in other topics but is unable to lift a finger to respond to their own issue.

Here is a case in point ...

This user posted 15% data loss.

I posted what I thought were some detailed instructions to help "stem the flow" and yet ... nothing.

Now here is my usage meter:

Does it not seem, that considering the great degree of disparity, that said user would be clamoring all over this threat in an effort to find out what he is doing different than what I'm doing ?

Why are you so rude? No one wants to listen to someone who doesn't respect others.
Honorary Alumnus

Rude ?

There was no rudeness  posted, there was however some factual information posted that could help the OP (as well as yourself) get a better understanding on how to limit a data loss problem.

Here is a fact for you:

A single computer has 65,536 comm ports ... this is again 65,000 + areas for "leaks", there is only one (1) on the Hughes end. It is a simple process to determine if it is on the Hughes end.

It is a "process of elimination" and that process starts with ruling the Hughes equipment in or out.

After that its a matter of tracking down what is using what.

There are "tools" and process to do just that.

Now, I have to ask you, it may NOT be what you want to hear, but just where is the "rude" in what I posted ?