data gobbled up

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
farmerhugh
Junior

data gobbled up

On April 28 mu data started getting gobbled up. I have never had this happen before I called tech supp case no 5382743 Please help I am afraid to use my computer
19 REPLIES 19
Liz

Hi farmerhugh,

Welcome to the community and thank you for your post, we want to address your concerns. Please read the information here and follow the instructions: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/wheres-my-bytes-how-to-test-for-data-leaks

Then you may post your screenshots here in your thread.

Your cooperation and patience are greatly appreciated. We look forward to hearing back from you.

You may want to look into using a third-party data monitoring program to help you pinpoint the programs on your PC that use the most data. Community members have suggested and used GlassWire, so feel free to ask them for tips on using it: https://www.glasswire.com

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

dmace

Mine started gobbling data on the 12th, I think it was a Windows update. By the end of the month I was shutting my computer off rather than 'sleep' and when I was using it offline I'd unplug the modem. I called Microsoft about scheduling updates during off peak hours but they said I couldn't.
farmerhugh
Junior

I keep getting an error message trying to download gkasswire.  I read a reference to a Home Tech.  How can I get in contact with one and can they help me.    I'm really desperate to solve this problem.  I did do step one unplugging the modem for 8 hours and the usage stayed the same.  not sure how to do screen shots.  I forgot to mention i am 71 years old and not very smart when figurng out these computers so any help i can get is greatly appreciated,
dmace

The glasswire worked for me. maybe your anti virus program blocked it?
I called hughes and they had me do the unplug thing and it showed no loss of data. At the current rate I'll be out of data about half way thru the month, I turn the computer on during off peak hours so (hopefully) it'll do updates then.
CommunityWorklo
New Poster

Hi farmerhugh,

If the HughesNet modem has been disconnected from your computer for an extended period of time and no data has been used, this just rules out the HughesNet modem of being the source of your unidentified usage. At this point, no need to worry about getting us screenshots. Now you can move on to focusing on investigating your computer for what's using your data; GlassWire would be a big help in this.

Right on the GlassWire website, you'll see a big red button to download the program:

What happens after you click that red button?

If you see an error message, what does it say?

-Liz
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

MS is pushing the 10 upgrade again. I had to hide the "important" update on my 8.1 computer to stop it from downloading it which would then kick in the 10 download in the background. They appear to be sneaking in every month now.
farmerhugh
Junior

Thank you I'll try that. I'm getting up at 2 am every night to work on this and do what I can until 8 in the morning.
farmerhugh
Junior

Thanks Liz--it says unspecified error.  I did turn off my mcaffee and it still ays the same thing. 
farmerhugh
Junior

I did turn off the Mcafee firewall and real time scanning.  did you use the free version or the purchased one?         still wont download get error message "unspecified error"
farmerhugh
Junior

i got it downloaded.  hooray....................  now i have to figure out how to read it,
Liz

Yay!

This gives a simplified explanation on where to start: https://www.glasswire.com/features/#Visual_Network_Monitoring

If you have additional questions, perhaps one of our community members here who has GlassWire can offer some assistance, otherwise, here is the GlassWire support forum: https://forum.glasswire.com/

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

farmerhugh
Junior

Thanks Liz  is there such a thing  as Home tech that could perhaps help me.
Mordacious

There is, but there is also a hefty charge for the service, I think it's about $99 a pop.

You would be much better off coming here and availing yourself of the knowledge of the regular users and the one installer that help out here as well as the knowledge base of the Official Reps before paying that kind of money.
Liz

Home Tech Support would probably know less about GlassWire than us, you would get more value from other HughesNet subscribers, like yourself, who have used GlassWire. Please check out Ricky's reply to your GlassWire inquiry here: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/glasswire-adygi4xf5dj85

Thanks,
Liz

farmerhugh
Junior

i am really discouraged  and sooo tired.  nothing seems to be workig.  thinking of doing a reset to my computer.  how can everything go so good for so long and go to h---- overnight.
dmace

I was going to ask how you are doing. Mine is doing better this month. Shutting off during daytime hours seems to work for me. Mine almost always comes on at 3:28PM CDT since I installed Windows 10, sometimes only for a few minutes, does yours? 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

farmerhugh,

There has been a major shift in the way that Microsoft does business.

First there is Win10, but the issue also extends itself to behavioral changes in Win8.1 and Win7.

farmerhugh & dmace,

Using a shutdown as a strategy  .... it is important to make sure that you are really powering off the computer ... not just "sleep" or "hibernation". Random "wakeups" are not unusual.

farmerhugh
Junior

I put my computer in airplane mode and then power off. I do not use any of the above. This is because I have Windows 10 and I learned all about their updates. I have gotten many good ideas from the community to keep my data from draining until April 28th had no major data problems.
farmerhugh
Junior

Also I really can't figure out glassfire But I do notice a lot of mcafee on it. That is why I was thinking of doing a reset (taking it back to what was on it when I purchased it). And putting on a different virus protection, in case something else got downloaded that is eating data. I wonder if this has happened to anyone else who has mcafee.