cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data leak

New Poster

data leak

afte our monthly data was restarted a week ago,we have already gone through our data useage. Nothing has been connected to the wifi that would or could through that much data in that short amount of time. i have called in to customer support and tech support thay havent been able to tell me anything. tried unplugging my modem and plugged it back in  this morning after 12 hours of being unplugged. we are online for minnal activites, email, surfing web, connecting kids' chromebooks and ipad and own laptop for school related searchs. not internet gammers, little youtube viedos.

Tags (2)
1 REPLY 1
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: data leak

It's more than likely that something connected to the service is draining the data, but the first step is to determine on which end the data is draining or being used, whether HughesNet's or yours.  The following test will help to determine that and the next steps to take...  

Please perform the following test outlined in the graphic below, this is known as an isolation test and will help determine whether the issue is with Hughesnet or your local network.

photo P2hSeDN.jpg

1: Take a screen capture of the Status Meter
2: Disconnect the LAN cable from the modem.  If on the HT2000w, please disable wifi as well.
3: Note the date and time of the disconnect, it is best when doing step two, to also capture the time displayed on your screen.
4: Leave the LAN cable disconnected from the modem for several hours, Hughesnet recommends doing this overnight, or during the day while at work.
5: Reconnect the LAN cable to the modem.
6&7: Take a screen capture of the Status Meter with the clock displayed on your computer.
8: Post your screenshots to the community.

Please be aware, if you downloaded any large files just prior to this test, or if the disconnect was for an extensive time period, some usage may appear to have occured, but should be rather negligible. 

For info on disabling the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built-in Wi-Fi modem?" in this PDF.  

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit