data loss overnight - very frustrated customer

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KRene
New Poster

data loss overnight - very frustrated customer

How can my available data go from 84% to 56% overnight when my devices are not connected to the wireless?  Also, the usage indicator is showing anytime data being used when it should be my bonus time, since it is prior to 8am.  This is the 2nd month this has happened, last month we were concerned that maybe we left devices on overnight and updates were done, this month we are being very careful and now we are only 2 days into our billing cycle and it has happened again.  We had Gen4 for years and only needed to use tokens a few times, now 2 months into Gen5 and this is happening.  What is going on with the HughesNet system?

17 REPLIES 17
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

How are you disconnecting your devices?  You may want to check that they're truly disconected:

Go to http://192.168.0.1

Click the grey "I" symbol (right next to the language, at the top)
Under Advanced Menu on the left, click the plus sign next to General
Click Connected Device Info

Check under Currently Connected Devices, and also Currently Disconnected Devices

This will help you make sure your devices are truly disconnected.

We turn the wireless off on each device. For the most part I have been turning it off after each use. For my iPhone, I just keep it off all the time so I don’t use Hughesnet data. This has really only started being a problem since we upgraded to Gen5. With Gen4, we had the 10GB plan, with Gen5 we had to upgrade to the 20GB plan and now only 2 days into the cycle we are down to 55%.

If you're using a newly updated iPhone, depending upon how it's 'turned off', the wifi will attempt to reconnect at midnight. In fact they even tell you this in a little message after you switch it off:

IMG_0205.jpg

Edit: Best to switch to Airplane mode if you don't need the bluetooth or mobile signal on.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@MarkJFine wrote:

If you're using a newly updated iPhone, depending upon how it's 'turned off', the wifi will attempt to reconnect at midnight. In fact they even tell you this in a little message after you switch it off:

IMG_0205.jpg

Wife's iPod Touch is same way, will reconnect each day unless put in Airplane mode.

lol... great minds. Just thought of that.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

I've thought in the past that I had turned things off but they somehow reconnected -- it has helped me to check what's connected and what's not.

Lots of very knowledgeable people here, so I will let them help you.

knowlegable, maybe... still took me five times to get that screen shot because some genius at Apple thought it was a great idea to move the power button opposite the volume controls, making holding it down and pressing the home button nearly impossible.

Edit: So, 'knowlegable', yet 'clumsy' lol

I lost 12g in 3 days so I have been trying to figure out also. My question is how can you identify the devices that are on when they are only labeled with numbers and such. Some of them are named but not all.  Also I turned of my iPhone but it registered both on and off🤔

On your phone, go into Settings -> General -> About.

Look for Wi-Fi Address. It will give you the MAC address of the phone that is listed at http://192.168.0.1/limited.html#!/general/conn_dev_info.

Other devices may be similar.

My iPad and two iPhones are listed by name and the web addresses are not the ones that are listed. How do I check to see if the are windows web numbers

I have a MacBook Pro, but you would most likely be able to find your computer's MAC address in Windows by looking (but being very careful not to change) the hardware settings for your wifi or networking card. Usually it comes up with a small window where there's a tab with that kind of information on it.

It would be helpful to go through all the devices you think are using the wifi, gather their IP (if you assign them yourself) and MAC addresses, and list them in a notepad file for your own future reference. I've got a list of about 16 staticly addressed devices, and 8 dynamically addressed devices that I keep MAC addresses.

Not only can I use the list to tell which devices are on, but I also have the router set to deny access to any MAC address that's not listed. That way you can ensure some UPS guy (or whoever) isn't sitting in your driveway, using your wifi.

If you do any MAC filtering, just remember that installers/techs use their phones to connect to it for any adjustments, so you might have to add theirs for service later. This actually happened once. He was going nuts thinking his phone was broken... lol.

I have identified all but three addresses.  How can I be sure that it’s a device in my home and not someone on the outside?

I have checked all phones and computers even my dish network equipment

is there a way to delete them?

and the page that has the connected and unconnected devices doesn’t update very well

I have no idea how you can be sure because I have no idea who you've allowed to use your wifi and I have no idea what smart devices that are in your home that might use the wifi:

Do you have any exercise equipment, like a NordicTrack (with iFit) that might use it?

Are your appliances, scales, etc. wifi-capable?

Do you have any TVs, cable/satellite TV boxes, or game platforms that might be hooked up?

What about a secondary external router?

What about a printer?

Any security cameras?

...I can only make suggestions. I don't know what you have.

What does it mean when a pc’s device health rated bad

Means the wifi connection has most likely not been very reliable with errors, forcing resends, which increases data usage.

Thanks for all the suggestions, we don’t have newer model iPhones and I guess this is another reason to not upgrade. We will keep an eye on our usage and try to identify the problem. Just seems odd that this has just started since we upgraded to Gen5. I thought maybe the new modem used the data getting updates, however HughesNet tells me the updates don’t count against my available data.  Right now, I have a hard time believing that since both instances of large data loss was after installing a new modem. 

GabeU

@KRene

Do you have a satellite TV receiver connected to HughesNet for watching On Demand and such?  

Do you have a gaming console that is connected to HughesNet?  

The software updates for the modem itself are not counted, and they also don't happen very often.  Maybe a couple times a year.  

Also, regarding the Anytime/Bonus data discrepency, were you using the service at some time during the Bonus Zone period and you saw the data being drawn from the Service Plan Data allotment?