Hughesnet Community

data size of the download vs the time it takes to actually download?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lab-Lover

data size of the download vs the time it takes to actually download?

Hey Gang!!
I am thinking I am going to get highly technical answers from this bunch! But, knowledge never hurt anyone right? So... both my printers died within 24 hours of each other. But truly, one was about 10 years old and the other about 5 years old! NOT BAD! 

I went and purchased a new wi fi enabled HP printer with tons of bells and whistles! (and NOT the high cost!) so.. I am currently downloading the software. It is taking FOREVER!  my signals and connectivity all seem good, and I am not Throttled! hehehe  

My question is this... the size of the data download according to HP is 163.0 MB. I am currently into the download for 50 mins. will the data download still be counted against my hughes net account at 163.MB, or will it be more since it is taking so long, OR, is this comparing apples and oranges?? 

I look forward to being educated! Thanks so much!

Kim
7 REPLIES 7
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Time has nothing to do with it.

You are buying a block of data each month not time like a cell phone that measures calls in minutes.

You will be "charged" by the MB.

Don't forget to disable all those "cloud" services and auto update settings. HP software will eat ALL your cheese.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Yep, 163 MB is 163 MB no matter how long it takes to download. That is what gets deducted from allowance.

The slowness could be caused by the HP server sending the download out in chunks.
Liz

Hi Lab-Lover!

Congrats on the new printer, I hope Gwalk and BirdDog's responses answered your question! Good tip on paying attention to the cloud settings, you may want to disable that.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Lab-Lover

If you all are talking about the "internet connection settings", (I saw nothing about cloud settings..? This is an HP product, not an apple?)  ABSOLUTELY, I was AWARE of the internet settings,  and they certainly peaked my interest. Before this HN debacle, I would have "agreed and signed" and moved on, without a second thought. However, they had different settings to modify so it was do able. HOWEVER-- if I may, WHY, did I purchase a product, where I can not use the features because of data usage? This to me, is one of the biggest issues with all of this data usage, now that I have learned about it. People, like me, purchase products that have these wifi and internet capabilities so that they can use them! They spend the money on these items with the internet connection qualities, for a reason. To have to limit the use of the capabilities of a product because of fear of data usage is kind of back ward thinking in my head.  The printer I purchased, has some qualities to it that DO require internet connection and usage, I am going to utilize what I paid for! There are ways to connect manually etc.. and that is what I am stuck with. I lost some of the convenience by going with HN....  To be honest, when my contract IS up... I truly don't think i will renew. (even though I love you all so much!!)  

Kim
Lab-Lover

THANK YOU Gwalk and BirdDog! I thought it was going to be a HARD question!! I appreciate your answering so quickly!
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

What Gwalk was getting at is if there is a printer utility app that you install on your computer then it could do things in the background. There may be settings in the app to turn off automatic firmware and software (app) downloads (cloud) for it.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

that is what I was referring to.
On a capped service it is not a good idea to give every piece of software its head to to everything "willy-nilly"
Nothing wrong with using a feature but with data caps you have to remain in ... control.