cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data tokens

Kirk Merley
Sophomore

data tokens

I recently had to upgrade to the 20gb package due to the loss of the Sam Knows survey.  I burned thru the allowance, went into the penalty box, and purchased a token.  My Account says I got it and paid for it, but my speed is still 400kb although 20mb of the token has already been burned.  How long do you have to wait for the speed to ratchet back up?

7 REPLIES 7
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: data tokens

Weird. Should be right away.

Kirk Merley
Sophomore

Nope!  been over two hours and the speed is 1mb or less.  system has chewed up .5 mb of the 5mb I paid $15 for, but at  dial up speed.  Just gotta love Hughes!

maratsade

I hope @Liz  or @Remy can look into this for you today and figure out what's going on. Hopefully it's an easy answer and easily fixed too. I certainly have no clue, but I understand the frustration with technology's shenanigans.  EDIT: the data usage must be something using the data, something connected to the modem. The low speed after the token, that's a mystery. You used to have to "apply" the token, but I don't think that's needed anymore. Still, worth a check. 

Damian

Hello Kirk,

Thank you for reaching out to us again. After reviewing your network, it appears we are unable to see any devices connected to the modem. Seeing what devices are connected and how much they are using would help us narrow down which one is draining your data. The most likely cause as to why we can't see it is because you may be still using an external router. The HT2000W modem has a router built-in already. If two routers are running at the same time, it can sometimes cause interference and greatly reduce speeds. If this is your situation, I highly recommend disconnecting the other router. If you are using another router and would like to continue using it, I will need to walk you through disabling the radios and broadcasting for the HT2000W modem/router. Once we figure this out I will be able to better diagnose the issue.  

-Damian  

Kirk Merley
Sophomore

I do have an external router and do prefer to keep it in place as it is equiped with a booster and external antenna for connection to another building on my property.  This may sound a little absurd, but we are in the middle of nowhere, hence my use of Hughes.  If you can guide me around avoiding a conflict between the modem and my router, I will be grateful.  I recently had to take the SamKnows router out of the network when Hughes stopped participating and my download allowance dropped to zilch... therefore it is no longer an contender for data consumption.

GabeU

@Kirk Merley 

This is a copy/paste from another post, but these are the directions for completely disabling the WiFi in the HT2000W modem....

Sign into the WiFi settings page here, using admin as the password.  Then, on that main page, uncheck both the SSID Enable and SSID Broadcast boxes for the 2.4GHz band, then click Save Settings.  Then do the same for each of the other three, making sure to click Save Settings before moving to the next one (2.4 Guest, then 5, then 5 Guest).  

After all four have both SSID boxes unchecked, go to Advanced Setup >> Wireless (on the left), then uncheck both the "2.4GHz frequency band" and "5GHz frequency band" boxes, then click Save Settings.  Once this is done, you should see the modem's WiFi light go off, as the WiFi will then be completely disabled.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Kirk Merley
Sophomore

Got it!  Thanks, Gabe!  We'll see how things go and I will post results here.  capnkirk, out.