data usage monitor

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sli-er_15
Sophomore

data usage monitor

Is there a usage monitor that would show how much data is used and at what times for HN7000S users? Last night I checked how much data I had left, it was over 200MB, and this morning it was all gone. Weird, since I turned off everything, computer, router and modem before going to bed. 
8 REPLIES 8
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

sli-er_15,

I'm not sure regarding the 7000 system, as it's been a while since I had it.  I don't remember there being a meter for it.  The usage section at http://my.hughesnet.com/ does show data usage by the hour, but only for the current day.  After that it's just a daily total.  With that said, there is a program you can use for your Windows based computer that is called Glasswire, and it shows the data usage on the computer that it's installed on.  It also breaks down the usage so you can see what programs are using he data.  There are free and paid versions, but the free version is good enough. 

Again, it only measures data for the computer it's installed on, but it can be a very handy tool, especially if you are trying to figure out what is using a lot of data on your computer. 

https://www.glasswire.com/

FIA Ranch

Depending on how comfortable you are with this techy stuff, you can get the info you need by loading DD-WRT firmware on your router.  It will give you usage by device, as well as overall.  That is how I managed my 7000S until I was forced to upgrade to a 9000.... That is the only good solution I ever found dealing with the 7000S.

I also use Glasswire on all my Windows machines with the 9000.  Then I can firewall the crap out of all the background stuff that Windows machines like to do.  A good product.....
Liz

Good morning sli-er_15,

Thanks for posting. I second Gabe and FIA Ranch's suggestions. GlassWire would be good to monitor the usage on a single computer, and DD-WRT let's you manage your data at the router, so you can better manage your wireless network.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

deepdiver1
Sophomore

RE DD_WRT firmware; you might want to check for compatibility here:
 https://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I had never heard of it, and when I read that post it sounded great.  Then I looked and found that neither one of my routers is compatible.  Bummer.  LOL. 

FIA Ranch

If you are interested in playing with DD-WRT, their compatibility database is not 100% accurate.  I used to run a router that was not on the list, but used a Broadcom chipset.  Found a version I liked (there are bunches of versions), flashed it with FTP, and it ran like a champ.

So if you have a spare to play with you can experiment.  As long as it is a spare, and it won't hurt you if you brick it !!
sli-er_15
Sophomore

Sorry for the late reply. I completely forgot posting my question on here. Unfortunately, both DD_WRT and Glassware won't work for me. I'm using a Mac computer with an Apple router. Sounds like I'm pretty much out of luck.
debbie.jean.bro
Advanced Tutor

I just found out a few days ago that my Hughesnet router shows what devices are currently connected. I was just goofing around, seeing what all my router could do, when I stumbled upon it, lol!

I'm glad I did because it showed seven devices connected at that moment when there shouldn't have been more than four. I suspected my house guests had been fibbing about what devices were connected and I knew I was losing data at an alarming rate, but then I had the evidence right in front of me, haha!

Network and password have been changed, and router password too. They went out and bought some sort of internet hot spot thingy and 2GB of data and claimed that would last them a month. That was three days ago. They ran out earlier tonight, lol! 🙂