cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data usage

data usage

Here we go again, shut my computer off at 8 pm last night, just turned it on , checked Data allowance, it is  at 334 MB, not at 500MB were it is supposed to be, HN you better do something, I am getting tired of this. I am being charged for one plan and only get half of it, you want me to upgrade???? NO WAY... not with all these problems.
9 REPLIES 9

Re: data usage

Euni - We'd feel the same way - frustrated.  But, there's more behind this "data drain" than your HughesNet transport service.  You'll see many have posted a similar concern and with step-by-step instructions have come to see that applications on their pc have been downloading overnight without their knowledge.  Just turning off your computer doesn't prevent this from happening and you wouldn't want your ISP to decide what to download for you and what not to download. 
If you'd like to investigate further with one of our moderators, we may be able to fix some of this for you.   Post back and thank you for your long-time membership in this Community.  

Katie: You probably meant to say something very different than what came out here, but just to set the record straight: turning off your computer will indeed stop applications on your computer from downloading overnight.
Honorary Alumnus

The computer that is "off" (not hibernating) will not use any data but if a router is connected a little further up the "data chain" other devices can use data like mad.

Example: My Nook HD+ was in a soft-off state. The little beast woke up in the wee hours and gobbled up 108 MB, then slipped back into a soft-off state.

You simply can't trust that you successfully changed all the setting for all the apps on such devices.

You really have to watch other settings like the BIOS setting for "wake on LAN".

Then there is the subtlety of Windows update settings .... sure it won't install updates until a specified time but ...... BITS can run like mad in the background gathering (downloading) that data.

BITS is also a favorite target for malware to attack.

well, everybody, let me put it this way, I am a senior, use this computer just to communicate with the world. I know I cannot watch Netflix, videos, movies, nor play games,  etc., HN just don't work that way. I go on ebay once in a while, I read facebook and post from time to time, I read my e-mail if and when I can get to it ( not at the moment ?) I have NO other devices, routers etc., would not know how to use them. I am talking BASICS here, I do not back-up nothing, store nothing except a couple of photos and  recipies. At the moment I cannot get to 192.168.0.1 to check anything, have no status meter. When I turn my computer off it is off, not sleeping or hibernating. Had this problem about 2 weeks ago and posted here, unplugged overnight, after that it was fine, now again. It is frustrating, especially when one does not use the computer for anything but the basics. I don't play around with settings and /or other stuff because I am not a computer wiz, all this MB, GB, Bits and who knows what else mean nothing to me. I pay $69.99 + tax  a month and just want the darn thing to run smoothly during the day for maybe an hour or two without having to re-boot, refresh unplug, check all the cables when its just sitting here in the same place, on my desk and no one else using it and data drains. uuugggghhhh....

7:15 am, data up to date at 500 MB, running smooth, been on here  about 1/2 hr. mmmmmmm, very interesting, lets see how long  it will last ???  And it is raining and cloudy. One of the first questions they ask when you call, "how is the weather?"   
Honorary Alumnus

Franc,

I wasn't going to post either but ......

The comment referencing "soft-off" was in respect to a Nook HD+ e-reader/tablet, Reading is fundamental, comprehension appears to be something else.

As to the overall concepts .... BIOS settings of S1, S2 & S3 offer "choices".
Also there are again in BIOS, options for "wake on ring" and "wake on LAN".
Within Windows there is the Windows Task Scheduler for automating tasks at certain times or under certain conditions. There is the concept of "batch files" to automate processes and functions.

As to "Science Fiction", there are those that would consider a 500,000 lb Boeing 747 capable of flight as such. However an understanding of Lift, Drag & Thrust reduce that "miracle" to mere mathematics.

Sad as it is, if you had put in as much effort into trying to  understanding how your Hughes system works and what tools were available to you as you do posting Rants your Hughesnet experience would have been much better.

A bit of advice .... never judge others by your own limits .... the horizon may be very near.
Alum

Hello Euni,

Thank you once again for posting! We pulled up your account and ran remote diagnostics just to make sure your equipment is running as it should.

You mentioned that you browse and post on Facebook, but have you disabled the "auto play" feature for videos? This halts the Facebook videos that auto-play as soon as you land on their page.  Even if you stop the media from playing fully, that entire video or song has already been cached, ready to be played.

How to Disable Auto-Playing Videos on Facebook:  https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how_to_disable_autoplay_videos_on_facebook

There is a great post on more sources that could cause drain data that most of our customers are unaware of.

Data Usage Sources – Common and Not So Common: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

Please post back results as we are eager to help you here!

- Warren

Hi, techies,  had some health issues so I did not post, have not used computer much either.  As for "disable auto play " on facebook,   did that long ago , as soon as it started.  However on the HN home page, lots of commercials that "autoplay", how do you stop that?   The few times I did use my computer it was ok,  today I cannot log into my email and 192.168.0.1  ??? One day when I could sign on to 192.168.0.1,   I had a  red status light, the next day  a lot of "updating" and restarting.  No idea what happened ,  but  after all that  "allowance" was fine.  Computer slow as usual, maybe I am getting used to it.  FAP is ok but should also  be "Fair Speed" at the same time. I am surprised reading  on other posts,  that Direct TV is recommending HN, bad choice,  I  have Direct TV for many years , never a problem and always good customer service from them.   HN could learn from them, maybe???
Alum

Euni,

Thanks for your reply. As far as the auto-play feature, more and more websites are using this feature, with many others to follow.

Someone on the community recommended a pop up blocker or ad blocker software that helped.  You might want to try that route to see if that works for you.

Please let us know if you have any other additional questions or still having trouble logging into your email.

We are here to help you!

- Warren