cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dead phone, no help from HughesNet

dead phone, no help from HughesNet

Our VOIP service has completely died and after jumping through every pointless hoop that HughesNet has managed to throw in my way these past couple days, they have still utterly failed to provide ANY help AT ALL.

Since one disabled person and one heart patient live here, this is a serious issue! Moreover, HughesNet says they're trying to expand into this area which I'm on the leading edge of, so they are really poisoning this well for themselves. I can't believe what I've been through to try to get this resolved, and gotten absolutely NOWHERE.

2 solid hours of digging through the website, trying to find support for phone service (there is none), 2 more hours of trying to get through via the other routes available. Calling on my computer (despite my HughesNet internet connection being too poor to support a stable Skype signal, and the tech support staffer I spoke to being too bone-headed to follow through when he said he'd speak more slowly and loudly) then being hung up on TWICE after finally getting through (after 4 calls, the phone trees, then 2-5 transfers per call -- how hard does getting VOIP tech support have to be?), then one reply to my 2 separate emails, and that reply was a nicely-phrased version of, "Not my problem, but I'm going to be reeeally nice and arrange for phone-help to call you back" -- excuse me, but WHAT are they going to call me back WITH???

After leaving a flame on FaceBook, someone asked me to leave a comment in this forum. I have absolutely no faith in this being any good at all, because:
A. HughesNet has a crapola record of communicating with me on this topic
B. I tried to post a reply to someone else's similar problem, and guess what? The page just made me sign in, over and over and over, without ever posting my reply, and giving me no indication as to why. Yeah, HughesNet, real good job of exception-handling, there.

I've had it up to HERE with HughesNet phone service and HughesNet's so-called customer care, and when I have a half day of slack I'm going to comb through the contract because they are certainly violating their obligations somewhere, and there's no way I should be paying for something so utterly useless and so damnably frustrating. 
17 REPLIES 17

Re: dead phone, no help from HughesNet

Case ID 45578382. Full technical details there.

I had the same issue! I had to call an ambulace for my husband and the phone was dead! If we had not had a cell phone available he probably would have died.
You have a copy of your contract? I don't even have that!
Admin

Constructive.chaos - We've reviewed your case notes and see that you are unable to speak with our senior support team via telephone.  Here's what they'd ask you to do:
1.  Make sure your equipment is set up in exactly this order - HughesNet modem is connected to the VoIP ATA.  The VoIP ATA is connected to your PC (our your router then PC if you have a router). The set up is very important and frequently the source of the problem for no dial tone problems.

2. Reseat your telephone handset connection to your ATA like this - Unplug the  cable from the ATA to the handset. Do this by unplugging from the back of the ATA.

3. Reset all systems in this order - bring down your HughesNet modem, then your ATA, then your PC.  Bring them back up in the same order.  

If you still don't have a dial tone.  Let us know.  How about letting us know either way.  

Admin

Donna - Glad you joined us! Your concern is understandable.  In researching your account, we see you called on the weekend and learned your existing phone number was in the porting process.  Hoping we explained the timing on that is dependent on your previous telephone provider.  They have to release it so we can capture it for you.  We'll watch for it though.  
New Poster

Also need to unplug the power from The Telephone Hand set if it is cordless I ran across this issue last year

My HughesNet VoIP phone service is totally down right now and has been for at least 3 days. The support center on the website seems to only handle internet issues, so I don't know where to go! Is there a specific support number I can call (on my cell, obviously!) This is NOT a new line, we've had service with no issues for over 6 months.
Alum

Melissa,

Thanks for your reply and welcome to the community!
We were able to locate your account successfully.

Please call the Customer Care at (866) 347-3292  and reference ticket number#: 45615789

Please let us know if there is any additional concerns we may address for you.

- Warren
Admin

Melissa - Warren conducted some troubleshooting on your site and we didn't see any problems with your transport service to indicate a VoIP issue.  Try this.  When you call the number Warren suggested, just follow through to the technical problem path.  When you get an agent, ask for the VoIP support group.  That's where you'll get your assistance. 
Alum

Melissa,

We have been trying to contact you via email and Skype, as a work account was sent to your email. We want to schedule a dispatch to your site to resolve your VoIP concerns. What time works best for you. We will await your response. Thanks for your patience and cooperation.

- Warren