cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disappearing bandwidth

disappearing bandwidth

Meter shows bandwidth is disappearing even when we are not using.  We have had Hughesnet for 2 years and have been able to keep under the 10gb data, until the last few months.  Now we are losing all of our bandwidth faster and faster even though we have taken efforts to decrease data usage.  Our data reset yesterday 2/3, and this evening the meter shows we have already used 2.2 gb data.  We never stream movies.  Only one of our 3 laptops has even been turned on during this period, with mild internet surfing for about an hour.  The others are turned off and put away.  We have an ipad and an ipod which have been used a little when we are home, for web surfing and some instagram and youtube, for limited times during the last day. 

We have changed all of our settings to stop automatic updating, and asked our kids to limit instagram and youtube.  There is no way we have used this kind of data in 1 1/2 days.

When we used up our data last month, I used a token for more bandwidth, and it was gone in less than half an hour while I was surfing the web trying to figure out the problem.  Noone else was home and no other devices were on.  At this rate, we are all afraid to log into the wifi and we might as well cancel service since we can't use it.  I'm not paying for one week of internet each month.

I have tried calling customer service (two months ago, after this started), and was just told that we are probably using more than we think going on websites like amazon with all the pictures.  Really, so now all of a sudden shopping online uses 2 gb a day??????

8 REPLIES 8
Associate Professor

Re: disappearing bandwidth

Brenda, can you please post a recent case number, your ESN, or the serial number from the sticker located on the back or bottom of your modem?  Please refrain from posting your email, phone number, home address or the SAN/DSS numbers.

Also, can you please do the following to help determine if it's the Modem glitching, or if for some reason your network devices are using the data?

Brenda , you are in the right place to get your problems solved, do post your modem ESN number as  Charles suggested and your concerns will be addressed !!! as we are a community base forum  ESN number  is your serial number located either on the back or bottom of you modem,  no phone ,or address,  please , or a recent case number so as if we can't help you in your problem Hughes-Net Reps, watches us and jumps in when we can not handle and quicker service for you !!you have a good night  and Hughes-Net are back on duty 9 till 5 tomorrow  Eastern time but a lot of us come online a lot earlier !

Thanks for the response!  ESN:5190204  I will do the modem test tonight.

Good morning Brenda,

Thank you for the serial, we pulled up your account and will run remote diagnostics on your site to make sure the HughesNet equipment and service is working normally. We look forward to hearing back from you with those screenshots.

-Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Thanks for the assist, Charles! Smiley Happy

-Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Hello again.  I'm having an issue with getting the status meter to run on my new computer so I can't send screen shots (a problem for another day).  Instead, I went to my HT1000 System Control Center and noted the bandwidth remaining.  There was no change from 3:30 this afternoon until 10:20 this evening while the modem was disconnected.  There has been 7.5 gb remaining all day.  So that doesn't seem to be a problem.

Is there any way our DirecTV receiver could be connecting to the wifi?  We haven't connected it on purpose, but could it be accidentally accessing the internet somehow?

Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

Honorary Alumnus

Brenda,

The "usage meter" with the modems SCC is rather "course" for tracking fine usage as it has a "resolution" of 0.1 GB and it will display change accordingly and will also "round up/down"

The most accurate meter for tracking usage is this one:

With this one, you can still see usage as "percentages" but more accurately at the single MB level in the highlighted area.

That meter can be found after logging in here:

http://my.hughesnet.com/

You really don't want to connect your DTV receiver to your Hughes system because of the massive amount of data it would consume.

It, assuming you have password protected you wireless network, could not connect to your wifi unless you setup the receiver to connect to your router.

Also, anytime you are troubleshooting a data loss problem it is essential to bypass the router completely by connecting a single computer directly to the Hughes modem.

This will 100% eliminate several possible "leaks" as you try to determine the source of the usage.

Hi Brenda,

Thank you for the update. If you saw no change in your Status Meter for those ~7 hours while the modem was isolated, then yes, that shouldn't be an issue. 

Gwalk's advice above is good, connecting just the computer to the modem and observing the usage can help you track down what could be using the data. To help you investigate, I've sent you some tokens so you don't go into FAP as you troubleshoot. 

I noticed you called in yesterday regarding connectivity, are you able to connect and stay online now?

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz