Hughesnet Community

do advertisements take up my band width?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdjustice8912

do advertisements take up my band width?

I used 2.7gb of my 10gb plan in less than 3 hours. I did not use any streaming web sites. I was searching stock profiles and in the background there are the ads that show video. are they in High def? can I stop this?
4 REPLIES 4
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Yes, anything that appears on your screen when connected to the internet uses data, especially video regardless what definition. Install an ad blocker on all browsers. That is still a lot of data. Are those stock profiles streaming live updates?

Ad blockers block some videos but there are also ones specifically for things like HTML5 video.
Chris11
Alum

Hi jdjustice,

Yes definitely. They are some of the worst culprits for data usage. Mainly because there is not information as to what quality they are streaming at and how many could be playing on the page at once. Here is a Google Chrome add on I use myself. It can be found on most major browsers except Internet Explorer. Hope this helps.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock-plus/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb

- Chris
Robin S

Because of all the auto play videos on various websites that ad blocker did not stop I went looking and found one that blocks videos specifically. I also found one that blocks gifs although it's not as great as the video blocker.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

There's a version for IE, too.  I use it.