cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

download interruption

Highlighted

download interruption

I own a clean, reliable, ultra-maintained Macbook Pro. A few days ago, I opted to download an OS X update on Apple's App Store using the "Try Tonight" option (which initiates update downloads after 2 AM, something I regularly do in another work location, via Comcast). The next morning, the downloaded update was corrupt, and had seriously damaged my Mac's operating system. It would not load (either in Safe Mode, or via any of the many means of recovery Apple offers). To restore my Mac in time to communicate with my partners that day, literally the only available option (literally, via Apple's last-ditch Utilities menu function) was to download a fresh copy of OS X and completely Reinstall. In the middle of this long process, the download from Hughes terminated, the fragment of the file already downloaded useless. I was unable to use my Macbook Pro for business communication that day. Frazzled, I stayed up until 2 AM that evening and re-downloaded OS X, taking paranoid care that absolutely nothing would disturb its progress. I was able to restore my Macbook Pro, all data, etc. (thank you, Apple) by the next morning.

However, in checking my Anytime date, I went from something like 4 GB of remaining use to zero, and realized I would have to pay HughesNet at least $32 for the privilege of downloading the data to restore my computer to its working state prior to the download crash that had caused my problems to begin with.

I will swallow the anxiety, irritation, (time), and frustration that it took to (thankfully) restore my Mac to its former state following Hughes' download issues. But to be penalized for using data in the restoration is vexing, to say the least. I can ignore the "Request timed out" messages I get on my iPad, the slow response times from the satellite technology, and other shortcomings, but I cannot stand having to pay money to restore my system and account to a workable state under the above circumstances.

So:
How may I have these circumstantial usage charges redressed, or data restored?
How to improve download performance, or test whether download is intact?

I've writen at such length because this has been such a maddening and frustrating experience. But thank you for listening.
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: download interruption

chad,

I understand your frustration, but I'm at a little bit of a loss as to how you running out of data is Hughesnet's fault.  The original download that corrupted your system certainly isn't.  Was the subsequent download that was "terminated by Hughesnet" done so because you had run out of data?  If this is the case, it doesn't actually stop downloading, but the speed is drastically reduced, which could cause problems with some downloads.  If you hadn't run out of data, how can you be sure that Hughesnet had anything to do with it?  I've downloaded files before that have been corrupted, or even cut off, neither being caused by Hughesnet. 

I'm not trying to make your problems any worse, nor frustrate you any more than you already are.  I'm just trying to figure out how it is that you've come to the conclusion that the problems have been caused by Hughesnet, and only Hughesnet.    

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

You apparently disagree with me that corrupt or interrupted downloads from reliable sources are not the fault of the provider of the transmission systems.

In my view, the original download that disabled my system was due to a corrupted or interrupted large download which fatally corrupted my system and created all further time wasted and data spent to correct the problem. I have extensive experience doing this exact same procedure with Comcast, and it completes flawlessly; I have downloaded thousands of updates from the Apple App Store with NO problems, ever. However, download interruptions, corruptions, or aborts or "Request timed out" messages (the latter from the Washington Post) on my iPad and iPhone when on Hughesnet are a regular occurrence. Again, they do not occur with Comcast, hence my conclusion that, as reported in these forums, similar corruptions of large downloads is not uncommon.

In my case, bad data transmission from a Hughes download cost me a workday, sleep, data costs, and a truckload of anxiety.

I believe that the courteous, responsible (and inexpensive) customer-retention response from Hughes would be:

"We are sorry this occurred, and realize the inconvenience that a critical data transmission error can cause. We have restored your Anytime Data, and hope you will report any further issues".
Distinguished Professor IV

I only disagree with your view of Hughesnet being the only possible cause of interrupted downloads.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Alum

Hello Chad,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. We understand your frustration. Although the circumstance does not specifically point to our system being the sole issue. I see nothing wrong with adding some bandwidth to your account. As a customer I understand. From your explanation I would also perceive it as such. I always thought Mac computers had a download manager type of environment when it came to updates, but I could be wrong. That is the best way to mitigate any interruptions. 

Nonetheless we'll add some bandwidth. FYI, we cannot add anytime bandwidth, only token bandwidth. So it will be available to use whenever you run out of anytime bandwidth for now and in the future, if it is not all used by the time your next reset hits. I'll add a good amount which I hope you'll find satisfactory.

Thank you,
Chris

Chris,

Thank you for such a gracious, professional, responsive, and satisfying reply. Regardless of the source of the issues, the episode was frustrating enough to motivate me to take the time to post here. I'm glad I did, since although you cannot restore my time and efforts, you have restored my bandwidth -- and willingness to reconsider HughesNet services vis-a-vis its customer support.

Appreciatively,
Chad
Alum

Hi Chad,

I'm glad I could be of assistance. Feel free to come back and ask for help if anymore questions or concerns come up.

Thank you,
Chris