cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

download speeds dont match speed test

download speeds dont match speed test

I dont understand why speed tests show my download speeds at or around where they should be, while ACTUAL downloading is stuck below 100kbps or LESS. And this is during the bonus bytes period when one would think it would be clear.
17 REPLIES 17

Re: download speeds dont match speed test

heh, thats the thing... im NOT supposed to be being throttled. Tried to download a file (legal) and thats the speed it registered, 250mb took an hour.

hmmm, misread your comment heh. When im being throttled its more like ten kbps. heh.

right now im getting a lousy 46kbps down

friggin ridiculous, two days later i still dont have my file!!!
Honorary Alumnus

John,

Are there any current error conditions in effect listed in the modems SCC ?

Have you tried toggling your Web Acceleration to the "disabled" position ?

Assuming you have a HT1000/1100 modem:

Have you tried to increment to a different Web Acceleration server by using the following procedure ?:

Perform an MBX Reset, followed by an immediate disabling of Web Acceleration, followed by an immediate re-enable of Web Acceleration.

Im not ignoring you, my cat got hit by a car and ive been at the vets all day... but now that im back, pretend im just an ignorant hick who lives in the sticks because he likes fresh country air, and not actually a moonlighting computer engineer or something Smiley Wink Wanna try that again, in english this time? hehe. I think i know what the SCC is, and i'll check that, the rest.. i have absolutely no idea what you are talking about... an "MBX reset?" web acceleration? ::scratches head:: yeah thats my modem. the 1100 Ok, ill check back later after a nap.. thanks for the help, or trying at least hehe.
Honorary Alumnus

John,

A Satellite connection has more "parts" than a typical terrestrial Internet connection. That being the case, it is subject to more "hiccups", those usually being of a temporary nature.

It is also the nature of a Sat system to be somewhat geographically isolated and that demands that the user be involved to some degree in the troubleshooting process.

Like it or not, that IS the nature of a complex communication system in a remote area.

The modem however has inside its self a rather extensive SCC (System Control Center) that displays information to the user as an aid in understanding the past and current state of the connection. Items of note include signal strength, a listing of past and present error conditions and two "tools" that the user can use to "correct" certain issues that arise ... enable/disable Web Acceleration and MBX Reset which can be used to reset the connection of the users terminal to the Hughes Network Acceleration Server.

I had made up the following "understanding SCC" lite as an aid to finding a way around the SCC.

The Web Acceleration & MBX Reset info is on the 5th "snip" down.

Remember, the SCC is the dashboard "lights & gauges" as to how your system is running.

So first some "verbiage" followed by the SCC snips in order of "depth":

Open the Modems SCC by entering 192.168.0.1 into your browser opens the Main Page.

The Main page is a sort of "at a glance" system check:

Data Allowance is shown in one area

In the area marked as #1 an Icon gives indicates System Status by color:

Clicking on the words System Status will open a more detailed page.

Useful information here includes Signal Strength, LAN Status and your assigned Gateway server.

In the area marked #2 an icon indicates System Information status by color:

Clicking on the words System Information will open a more detailded page.

Useful information here includes modem software version and Beam and Gateway assignments.

Clicking the smaill icon marked as #3 will open the modems advanced pages.

Here you find a list of present and past "errors" or conditions experienced by your system.

Some what deeper into the advanced pages is where we can "toggle" Web Acceleration in the event of page "timeout" problems or perform a MBX Reset.

This a usable link to the Jupiter State Code Manual:

http://lmscontent.hughes.net/8606/420284/data/downloads/jupiterterminalstatecodes%201.8.pdf

If there is a problem suspected with your connection, a peek at the modems SCC is the place to start.

Dude.. if you are not getting a paycheck from hughes.. you should be. I rightly figured out that that site was the "scc" you were talking about, yesterday, but though i clicked all OVER the place on that page, i never found the controlls hidden behind that innocuous little symbol, so i never managed to figure out the rest and figured i must have been wrong in thinking this was the right place, and went to studying the modem itself, to no avail.. last night i spent several frustrating hours in the middle of the night where my download was completely stalled, nothing happening, and then suddenly it started working at about 4, 5 am due to nothing i did, and actually got up to 150kbps for brief periods, amazing LOL. Next time i need a file i will definitely try to mess with these settings, and im poking around on there now trying to figure it all out, which i would not have had a chance without your tutorial, righteous info. I kept trying to click on the checkmark by "web acceleration" on the status page, lol. Oh, i did notice looking at the last page you have linked there, that about the time that i was trying to download, it had a red x, and a lot of "bad" when i hit details.. no idea what they were, but they werent "good" heh.

one weird thing... first logs on this thing are for january 1 of 1970 LOL< seems like an odd date for a malfunction to latch on to hehehe.