cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

download speeds dont match speed test

Honorary Alumnus

Re: download speeds dont match speed test

Hi John,

No I'm not affiliated with Hughes in any manner other than an 11 yr Hughes subscriber.

I can to the realization long ago that the state of the Hughes phone support made it mandatory that I learn as much about my system as I could. It has saved me a lot of "phone time" and frustration over the years.

As to the starting date of the log ... its just an arbitrary date .. a "null value" that serves as a starting point for logging to begin.

Many of the errors that "log" are very brief, very transitory .... many weather related.

You have to remember that bad weather can exist in a line between your "dish" and the satellite (Echostar17 located at 107.1' W. for Gen4 systems (HT1000/1100))  but also in a line between the satellite and the Hughes NOC (Network Operations Center) where your signal returns to earth.

It can be bright and sunny over your house and hurricane conditions over the NOC will have a drastic effect on your system performance.

After all, its Satellite not ground based ... it isn't, it can't be .. the equal of cable or DSL or even a WISP.

There simply are more non moving "moving parts" that add to the complexity in addition to the normal Internet structure.

Its the price we pay for living in an non urban environment.

But as an example of the "errors" that accumulate ... here is a snip of my well running system .... "transitions & duration" are the key parameters.

Remember, if you ever post a screenshot, edit out (in Paint) your SAN (starts with DSSxxxxxx)

also, according to cucusoft.. my download speeds ARE slower than 512kbs. dialup anyone?

Jezra.. cool info, learn something new every day, even if its a fairly useless(but interesting!) fact it stretches the brain muscles Smiley Wink
Alum

John,

Thanks for the post. We were able to locate your system. Thanks to Gwalk900's great instructions  and detailed post, were you able to verify your settings in Service control center?  Can you post some speed test screenshots for us to evaluate?

Thanks in advance for your cooperation, and thanks to jezra and Gwalk900 again,  who have chimed in to help.

- Warren

everytime ive run one of your speed tests the results have been acceptable (though the one before the upgrade was better than the one after, oddly enough lol) its just that ACTUAL download speeds are MUCH slower...like one tenth as fast. (actually.. 100kbps is more like one one hundredth of 10mbps isnt it?) I understand SOME variability but thats kinda ridiculous, dontcha think?

Of course, you can always unplug the modem, wait a minute and plug it back in. That's the simple way to reset your connection. Back when, Suz had to escalate my problems to a senior tech engineer who found a fault in my modem's setup. Everything ran like a scalded ape after. Ric

after reading the post, no info on the cat, cat person here , is your cat ok

John, you will have to jump through the hoops before you get to the advanced tech support. Just grit your teeth and post your results. It's worth it though. Ric