Hughesnet Community

emails constantly blocked as spam to all comcast accounts ( and others)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coachguy
Freshman

emails constantly blocked as spam to all comcast accounts ( and others)

All of my emails that are sent to Comcast.net  accounts are returned undeliverable due to being flagged as spam. This has been going on for over a month. I've read up on this and know it's due to assigned hughes.net IP addresses being blacklisted, and that hughes.net IP addresses are constantly changing and not assigned to my specific location.

Here's the rub- that's not my problem, it's hughes.net's problem. I'm paying to be able to send email to anyone , not to be blacklisted because hughes.net  has blacklisted IP addresses. I don't have time to report back to hughes every time my IP address is blocked as spam.

I've been using hughes for years, and this problem just cropped up within the last 2-3 months. My machine is new,  and running up to date Norton Security suite , Windows 10 and MSOutlook 2016.

Cann someone tell me how to fix this issue other than to use a 3rd party email service, or to waste time reporting blocked IP addresses back to hughes.net and then "hoping for the best". 

I've got business to do and probably 50% of those local to my area have comcast addresses. Not being able to email any of them is unacceptable.

HELP!

25 REPLIES 25
kpike01
Freshman

Same thing is happening to me. Going to set up Gmail on my cell phone and try to send to Comcast , but I only get 3G service at my location and its a pain in the butt to have to reply to my friemds using Comcast by phone only. Tried using my hughes.net email addy on my phone with 3G service and it was still blocked.

Also when I try to use customer support to tell HUGHES it has a problem I get this BS when I fill out their form and submit:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
   hughessupport.suth.com.hnSaveData.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67
   System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +35
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +750

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2512; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2515

3G email test in above reply worked, so maybe I will **bleep**can Hughes and run Cellcom 3G for my internet as welkl as my phone. If I had 4G it would be a no brainer, Hughes would be gone tomorrow.

Contacted Hughes, they claim no responsibility, not their problem! Each subscriber has to go to the effected email ISP that is blocking ALL email from Hughes.net servers and beg to be taken off their blacklist. What am I payiong $150 a month for no support, limited email ???? I may be switching soon to my cell phone provider 3G internet access. At least it will be consistent and reliable!!!! Every time you think Hughes is starting to work okay another problem arises. Their service is marginal and their support is nonexistant, deny, deny deny, like a two year old. can't wait to see how impossible it will be to cancel my service, probally require a lawer to stop them from auto billing my credit card for a no longer supplied service.

Does any Hughes  personnel monitor this forum or is it just a BLACK HOLE?

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@kpike01

First, yes, Hughesnet does monitor these boards.  With that said, this is a Customer to Customer solutions site, and the reps will jump in if it's something that can only be handled by them.  Also, they are on M-F from approximately 8am to 5pm EST.

A question.  Are your emails blocked by the recipients no matter what email service you are using while on Hughesnet, or are only your hughes.net emails being blocked by the recipients?  

Lastly, a lawyer is just going to tell you that they cannot do anything because you are subject to binding arbitration with Hughesnet.  

Wow, a reply I am shocked. I called your service people earlier tonight and they said it is not a Hughes problem , but I need to contact Comcast and AOL and any others who have Hughes IPs on their spam blocking list.  I find it incredible that a Hughes email server being blocked for spamming  is considered my problem. No ownership, just redirect. The spam list websites that show hits on Hughes.net email servers say for ME to contact my ISP (Hughes net) and they (the ISP) has to request to be unlisted,  not me a subscriber) requesting.

Comcast has a post master auto unblocker you can provide info to, but when I provide my current IP it claims it is not blocked, and they don't read the comments apparently to see what the problem is all done by auto. Yet my mail keeps getting rejected bt comcast.

Here is the error, maybe you can resolve:

Arrival-Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 13:50:19 -0400
Reporting-MTA: dns; smtp.hughes.net

Last-Attempt-Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 13:50:19 -0400
Final-Recipient: rfc822; tcaradonna321@comcast.net
Remote-MTA: dns; mx1.comcast.net
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 resimta-po-08v.sys.comcast.net resimta-po-08v.sys.comcast.net 69.168.97.48 Comcast block for spam. Please see http://postmaster.comcast.net/smtp-error-codes.php#BL000000
Action: failed

I can use my Hughes.net account using my Cellcom phone to reply and or email Comcast friends and its not being blocked. That apparently shows its Hughes Server being blocked not my email addess specifically or it would still be rejected.

Comcast says they do not accept email from dynamic IP addresses, and if I understand Hughes only provides dynamic IP no static IP.

I do NOT have another email account to test using the hughes email server, but the above should answer your question.

The Cellcom phone by the way is using 3G when I sucessfully reply or send to Comcast , not the wifi and Hughes net satellite. If I set the cellphone to use wifi and use the Hughes net satellite to reply or send email to Comcast it to is rejected.

GabeU

No, no static IP addresses with Hughesnet, unfortunately.  With that said, I believe a business account could get one before, but I don't know about now.   But, that's not going to help you.    

You could always sign up for an MSN, Gmail or Yahoo email account and try one of them, but I think you may end up having a similar issue.  I'm not in any way sure of that, though.  

Unfortunately, this is an issue that pops up every now and again.  I don't really know what the solution is, aside of Comcast stopping the block, which it sounds like they won't do.  I can understand the reason for the block, but, like any blanket policy, "innocent" people can get caught in the loop.    

Thanks, for your response. Maybe a moderator will see and have a solution fgor me tomorrow. I tried to submit a problem report by email but the web form I filled out when I hit submit bombs out, so I called tech support on the phone earlier.  I will probably setup a Gmail account tomorrow, and when I do see if the account gets blocked when sent over hughes net email servers. 

GabeU

With regard to the moderators, they are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST, so the earliest you would hear from one would be Monday.  

But, hopefully, at least in the meantime, the Gmail account will work.  

I wish you luck.  

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

They will most likely be out of the office on Monday and Tuesday...  A lot of businesses here are closing shop for 4 days straight because of the holiday.

That all aside, while I can't tell you to give up using a Hughesnet email address and use another, it's a good solution.  When sending an email from Gmail, MSN/Outlook, or other similar services, you appear to be going through them instead of your ISP for sending the email.  Sadly, because Hughesnet is a smaller player, and customers like to run out-dated operating systems because they think updates are a waste of time and that they know their clean, their PC turns into a nice little spamming bot that eventually results in one of many blacklists throwing the entire IP range on a spam list.

Not saying you are one of those customers, just saying, that's generally what happens.  With IPv4 being in very short supply, most customers appear behind the same IP, and companies that are stupid that deploy classic blocklists tend to screw things up for everyone.

As previously stated, all Hughes subscribers with the exception of some business class accounts have dynamic IP addressing.

At the heart of the problem is those companies that block on the basis of IP's rather than email address. Sometimes those blocks are automatically lifted after a period of time in other cases the issue has to be handled between Hughes support staff and the company in question.

While most ISP's offer free email accounts the value of those accounts is debatable particularly for a business. A satellite connection is usually considered a connection of last resort and the possibility of a ground based becoming available is always possible.

Also in business it it a good idea to have redundancy wherever possible.

My suggestion, as others have pointed out is to have multiple email accounts from either a purchased domain or from free sources such as Outlook.com, Gmail or Yahoo to name some. Doing so allows communication redundancy as well as negating the need to change your email addresses in the event you change ISP's

Your email client program will then connect to those mail servers rather than through a Hughes IP address.

Having a business email account tied to an ISP's mail service is not in the best interest of a business.

GabeU

For myself, I wouldn't even use my hughes.net email if I didn't have to because of it being tied to this Community and its notifications.  I've had that same hughes.net email address since signing up in Dec of 2004, but never used it until the Community moved to its present place (here) some months back.  

I've had my MSN account since 1998 or 1999 and my Gmail account since around 2005.  I, personally, have never had any issue with either of those two while being with Hughesnet.

Hi kpike01,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. I'm glad to see our long time community members have chimed in and provided explanations and tips on how to deal with an IP block. Thank you for also including that error message, I've sent it up to our e-mail administrators to see if there is anything they can do to expedite getting your IP (range) off the blacklist. I'll post back with any updates. I do agree with the others that a third party e-mail provider that's not tied to any ISP would be best to use for business, so if you do happen to change ISPs, there's no need to change your e-mail.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Typical walk around response I have learned to expect from Hughesnet, they also rigorously instruct their customer service reps on how to provide false information to cover their butts when they are caught in a lie. By telling us to use a third party or web mail site like gmail it only causes us to use more data on their system. They should add on at least a bare minimum of 2GB extra to our data limit to over us having to go out of our way to do their jobs. I am not able to get my Harbor Freight emails and also from MicroCenter which is very important to me so I can get copies of my sales receipt after I make a purchase. Also the one person making a false statement about contacting a lawyer and a binding agreement when we signed on with Hughesnet. I never signed no such agreement or contract with Hughesnet and when something like our constitutional rights to our getting our emails is blocked it is a violation of our Constitutional rights to free speech. They don't have a legal leg to stand on, they are just too lazy to remove the blocks and correct the system to enable us to get our emails that we need and deserve to get. I never thought I would come across a company like Hughesnet which instructs their employees on how to lie and provide false information.I had downloaded 1.5 gigs and they turned it into 30 gigs on me and slowed my internet down. I would not be surprised in the least little bit of members of ISIS have invested into Hughesnet as their employees lie so easily.

GabeU

@Virgil2U

Accustions of lying.  Accusations of deliberate emails blocks.  Going off the deep end about a violation of your constitutional rights to free speech.  Accusations of charging you for data you claim you didn't use.  Then an extremely offensive comment to close out your rant.  

How incredibly offensive.  @Liz @Aedan @Amanda

BTW, here's a link to the Subscriber Agreement, including the section about binding arbitraion.  I suggest you read it.  http://legal.hughesnet.com/SubAgree-03-16-17.cfm

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@Virgil2U

Lets get a few facts set straight here...

@Virgil2U wrote:

By telling us to use a third party or web mail site like gmail it only causes us to use more data on their system.

Webmail is no different from regular client based email, and most web based services will allow people to use client programs to contact the server.  You wouldn't use more data using a third party service such as Gmail, or Outlook, it would actually be approximately the same usage.  For instance, if you connect using a client instead of a web-interface you would be downloading the exact same amount of data for your email regardless of service used.  If using the web-based interface it would also be fairly similar in usage between the two web-based services.

@Virgil2U wrote:

They should add on at least a bare minimum of 2GB extra to our data limit to over us having to go out of our way to do their jobs.

Not going to happen.

@Virgil2U wrote:

I never signed no such agreement or contract with Hughesnet

When you signed up for service, if you provided an email, they will forward links which point to a service contract, and if ordering over a phone, the sales agent goes over key points of the contract and mentions that you can read the contract in full at http://legal.hughesnet.com   If you never accepted the contract, your terminal wouldn't be online, and you wouldn't have internet through Hughesnet, it's a flat out requirement.

@Virgil2U wrote:

when something like our constitutional rights to our getting our emails is blocked it is a violation of our Constitutional rights to free speech. 

Sorry, but you have no leg to stand on here, it is not your constitutional right to have email access with your ISP, there are tons of alternatives, and guess what!  Some providers don't even offer email services!  Whew boy the Government will have a field day with Verizon!  Sorry, but you do have plenty of other ways to express your constituitional rights to free speech.  Your ISP isn't required to provide email services of their own.

@Virgil2U wrote:

I never thought I would come across a company like Hughesnet which instructs their employees on how to lie and provide false information.I had downloaded 1.5 gigs and they turned it into 30 gigs on me and slowed my internet down. I would not be surprised in the least little bit of members of ISIS have invested into Hughesnet as their employees lie so easily.

Sorry to be blunt, but we are not employees, the only employees here are Moderators, and those tagged with Employee.  

{j}But you caught us, we are all members of a terrorist organization that wishes to prevent you from using your ISP supplied email and whom loves to turn 1GB of data into 30GB over night. {/j}
In all seriousness, you need a reality check @Virgil2U

First, I have no idea who said the end-user needs to contact Comcast to correct the issue, that's not how any of this works. But that's irrelevant.

Comcast (as others) most likely use one or more of the 150 spam and "abuse" registries, of which HughNet's email server IP(s) might be listed - not your personal IP address. There is another thread where I identified about 6 of those lists that a particular HuhesNet email server resided.

The only way to get off these lists is an authorized HughesNet sysad (or similar) works with the *list owners* to get un-listed. The subscriber of those lists (i.e., Comcast) have zero means to get Hughes unlisted, and the list owners won't deal with end-users, because they really could be spammers which defeats the purpose. Plus, none of these parties has anything remotely to do with the administration of the Hughes email server in question.

That said, this is not a trivial problem to solve. A whole ton of people have surruptitious malware and viruses on their computers *and phones* that are programmed to remotely send spam upon command. Not saying anyone in this discussion is particularly infected, I'm just saying this so you can understand the sheer immensity of the problem.

Quite innocent email servers are getting flagged as spamhauses on these lists, just because one person may have visited a real sketchy website or opened an email they shouldn't have and (completely unbeknown to them) spewed a few of these so-called zombie emails through the system.

So as soon as another one of these rip loose through the email server and is detected by one or more of these lists, the list owners dump the email server IP back on the list again. You can only stop the cycle by a Hughes sysad getting the offending email headers from the listowner to trace back to the original IP of the person who sent it and delicately "advise" them to scan their computers and/or phones.

Imagine the level of effort to track down the IPs of potentially thousands of these incidents (I suspect there might be even more than that system-wide), and you can quickly see how much of a do-loop this can get into.

Bottom line. I'm pretty sure the Hughes people are aware of the problem. I'm also pretty sure someone is working it. But I'm also pretty sure it takes a real long time to resolve, so some patience is necessary.

If it helps, Comcast's servers are ironically on a few lists themselves. In fact one of their email servers in NJ was hacked and would routinely blast back spam to any email address that was recieved by it.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

For the admins: Just did a check on 69.168.97.48 (smtp.hughes.net). It's currently showing on these 5 lists. Of the five, the sorbs spam black list is most likely the predominant one:Untitled2.jpeg

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Thanks for that information.  All my emails from my hughes.net address have been blocked to aol since around July 1st, and then any emails to yahoo since around July 7th.  Now my emails even to a local title company are blocked: "Permanent block since you've attempted to send to too many invalid recipients."  I never send to invalid recipients.

I'm glad I found this forum and to see that others are having the same problem.  I rate the hughes service at about a zero, but I've had it the last 10 years due to it being the only service available in the remote area in which I live.